Accessible baby/wife proof guitar storage

What's Hot
LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
Hi guys,

I've got a 10 month old baby so for the past 10 months my guitars have been in their cases, stored in any nooks that they will fit in throughout the house...

Being a little older now i have gained a little time so guitars have been making an appearance, unfortunately after i've had a bit of a noodle they need to go back into hardcases and hidden away since baby is now mobile and need the space.

To compound the problem: i have a wife who says guitars do not fit the room theme.. so can't put on our music themed walls...  

So the question: How would you store guitars based on the criteria?

-Accessible - sometimes you need instant noodles!
-Baby proof - normal stands are out
-Wife happy - Can't go on walls, in view, out of view, be there, not be there.. 
-Compact - space is a premium

I was thinking like multi use furniture of some sort.. but just wondering if anyone has a similar problem or has some good solutions? 

Cheers :]

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    The only way I have found is Hercules wall hangers, however, they aren't invisible to wives...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    How many guitars are we talking about here?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    edited May 2017
    @Sassafras - there are about 5-6 hidden about the place, but to be honest i just need one or two to be available - first choice electric super strat type size, other one a faith venus size acoustic.
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    edited May 2017
    Marriage is all about compromise.

"No guitars on display?  No problem darling."

"What are you doing with that cardboard box?"

"Taking your advice my lovely and decluttering, so I'm putting all extraneous shite away too.  15 cushions on the sofa?  GONE. 100 knick knacks of badgers?  No need.  5 Nutribullets and 3 Spiralisers in the kitchen?  Christ almighty.  Or... you know... One guitar hanger on the wall..."
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

Hang one in the wardrobe... not joking, try to fashion something that hooks onto the headstock...?

(I mention it because I've been thinking of this myself recently.)

haha i have a couple in the back of a wardrobe at the moment.. unfortunately wrong room! The only place with big enough wardrobe is currently in the baby room, whereas i have become quite adept at nursery rhymes with Paul Gilbert-esq fills, not sure it would be appreciated after bed time when my free time has appeared :) 
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited May 2017
    If you have an alcove I'd build a rack to hold them, then build a cupboard around that so it blends with the room it's in. Guitars will be safe, close at hand but also out of sight, everyone is happy 

I built a rack out of bits of wood I had at home, covered neck supports in a 100% cotton bed sheet and the bits where the body rests was covered in pipe insulation foam and then 2 layers of bed sheet, took a few hours, cost maybe £15 and I literally have no DIY skills, so anyone could manage it.

In an alcove that's a little over a metre wide I have 7 guitars stored and could have easily managed to fit 10 if I'd wanted to.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    tree house man cave
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • steersteer Frets: 1188
    You can be too precious over these things. How much damage can a baby realistically do? I have something like this. 

https://www.thomann.de/gb/rockstand_rs20861_5_e_guitar_stand.htm?glp=1&gclid=CKudhaypiNQCFQE4GwodJSQP_g

My 5 guitars have withstood 2 kids and a guitar hating wife...
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12897
    Have a guitar on a stand. Teach your child not to damage it. It can be done. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Ravenous said:

Hang one in the wardrobe... not joking, try to fashion something that hooks onto the headstock...?

(I mention it because I've been thinking of this myself recently.)

You don't need to fashion something. Amazon sells this:
    http://cdn.trendhunterstatic.com/thumbs/guitar-hanger.jpeg
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/BSX-1001-518220-Guitar-Hanger/dp/B002NPCISC

I have one hanging on the wall in the livingroom, I rotate my guitars to that hanger depending on what's "flavour of the month". As others have said, playing guitar is part of who you are and it's your home too. If you want a guitar somewhere accessible I don't think it's an unreasonable thing to ask.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Honestly, wall hangers.

I know the wife won't be happy, but surely there is somewhere you could put one? (then two once she has calmed down)
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14222
    tFB Trader
    I went through a similar thing a few years ago now with the little one - so guitars stayed in cases and then opened/put away as required - but I did need something to doodle on that was instantly accessible, so a cheap used Squier did it, resting on the sofa/cushions with a quick education lesson to my daughter and basically it was fine - Then I had one nice guitar on a Hercules hanger in the dining room and rotated that around as required
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Get a telecaster.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16668
    usedtobe said:
    Get a telecaster.

preferably reliced already -  problem solved

I have 5 hangers in the dining room, they really are the answer.  There is a tele and a beaten up uke in the living room.   I like to encourage an interest.  I was playing acoustic the last night and the baby bum-shuffled over to the uke and started strumming with me. 

I took this pic recently.  the guitar is still in the same place since

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1841
    Explain to your wife it is important to you and hang on the wall. Then you can get it down whenever you need to, e.g. when the nappy needs changing.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    usedtobe said:
    Get a telecaster.
    hmm.. you may be on to something..

Thanks for all the replies :)

Well, we do have one guitar already hung up in the front room, unfortunately is our "wedding" guitar (we used a white strat as a guest book).. i wonder if she would notice if it suddenly developed strings...

@WezV how olds your little one? Mine has just got to the stage that if its not bolted down its being pulled down.. :)
    i do want to encourage her to play...I've got an old sammick mini flying v that i will be doing up for her eventually :) 

• WezVWezV Frets: 16668

a year now, but that pic was from around the 10 month mark.   I probably will have to move it soon

edited May 2017
    Do you think she would notice if i put up a picture in front of the hanging guitar?

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    At that age it may be simpler to pen in the child. Or at least tether it to s piece of furniture. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.