Fender Hot Rod amps - eBay price averages.

chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3965
edited February 2014 in Amps
I'm looking at getting a Fender amp again, and budget wise, I'll be going into the Hot Rod range, so have been checking out the completed listings on eBay, as you do.  Being a bit of a geek, I went one further worked out an average sale price for these amps and considering the difference in RRP there really isn't much in it.

Pro Junior £243
Blues Junior £312
Deluxe £316
Deville £355

It seems if you are patient you can get a Deluxe or Deville cheaper than Blues Junior!  I have had a Deville but it wasn't suitable for the band I was in.  Now it would be great for the band I'm in and am pissed off that I sold it!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The pro junior is a better sounding amp than the blues junior in my opinion.  

The Deville is a great sounding clean platform, but they go cheap because they're big and heavy. Which means, if you want a big, heavy amp, you have a bargain available :D 

It is interesting, though, I'd take the Deluxe over all the others (don't have room for a Deville) closely followed by a pro junior.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
     considering the difference in RRP there really isn't much in it.

bit confused,  much in  it what ?    

What is the list,  the average ebay auction price or  the difference between RRP of said amp and the average auction price ? (in which case I do get it   :)    )
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • bertie said:
     considering the difference in RRP there really isn't much in it.

bit confused,  much in  it what ?    

What is the list,  the average ebay auction price or  the difference between RRP of said amp and the average auction price ? (in which case I do get it   :)    )
    My list is the average sale price for each amp, from the last couple of months 'Sold' listings.

My point was if you are buying used and wait for the right deal, you can actually get a Blues Jr, Deluxe or Deville for around the same price, or even get a Deluxe or Deville for less than a Blues Junior.

If you look at the new prices, the difference between the models is obviously much bigger.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    OK -  it was the referral of RRP that confused me.

They've obviously dropped a lot...............average for devills was around £100 more than that not too long ago.... deluxes were usually fetching £400................  twas a few years ago, but I got a deville from SC for a cracking £535.......... they did a WWW match 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72302
    New prices are largely based on production cost and so cost of components is a major factor - more powerful and complex amps cost more to make than smaller and simpler ones.

Used prices are based purely on desirability, and size and weight often count as negatives - so even does volume, sometimes.

The Fender "Paul Rivera" or "II" series from the 80s are a classic example. Discounting the entry-level Champ II, all the models from the Super Champ right up to the Twin Reverb II sell for about the same now, or if anything the Super Champ is the most expensive.

Of the modern Fenders, I agree that the Pro Junior sounds better than the Blues Junior, but a lot of people want the BJ's extra features. The Deville (especially in 4x10 form) sounds better than the Deluxe to me, but it's a really big heavy amp, and the Deluxe is more manageable… although even then some people think it's too big and too loud, so I can see why it doesn't always go for more than the BJ.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Yes.  A geek indeed.  Well done.  If you gig and you want any clean headroom .... then it has to be the Deluxe or the DeVille.

Money, guitars, cars, football, beer and women - roughly in that order.  Also, black things are good.  All hail the Lords Black, Burnel, Cornwell and Greenfield - and Squire Warne.  Currently levelling buildings with a Precision bass for the unrivalled www.daphnedontfloat.com
  • For comparison....I got my Deluxe for £310 which I think was a bit of a bargain
  • markslade07;159362" said:
    For comparison....I got my Deluxe for £310 which I think was a bit of a bargain
    That's what I'm hoping for!
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I've been having a glance at prices for some of those and the (similar?) blues deluxe - definitely some bargains to be had but so often the lower prices are because people won't post them - I've even mailed a few to double check if they'll let me book interparcel..    If you can find one local then it's a great time to be buy...
  • John_P;159442" said:
    I've been having a glance at prices for some of those and the (similar?) blues deluxe - definitely some bargains to be had but so often the lower prices are because people won't post them - I've even mailed a few to double check if they'll let me book interparcel..    If you can find one local then it's a great time to be buy...
    There's definitely some bargains to be had when people won't post. It's not hard to get a box and pack an amp up and open yourself up to way more bidders.
  • Tis true, I did have to hop in the car and fetch it, but to be fair, I was happier doing that with a valve amp anyway
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    With the deluxe, the model makes a difference to the used price. The newer Mk III has the volume control sorted and I believe a different speaker making them more desirable to some people. That said there are so many of these about now a bargain at any price.

• GassageGassage Frets: 30888
    edited February 2014
    I noticed this too.

If you're really patient, you'll pick up a tweed BDRI (not the hot rod one which has an awful gain channel) for £350-400 and I know where I'd put my money.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3965
    edited February 2014
    Gassage;161893" said:
    I noticed this too.

If you're really patient, you'll pick up a tweed BDRI (not the hot rod one which has an awful gain channel) for £350-400 and I know where I'd put my money.
    That's what I'm going to go for I think, cheaper than a new Blues Jr.