Helix lt users: what pedals have you kept?

What's Hot
VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
Yeah, I know, another Helix thread, but I am genuinely curious. Having made the first step in the digital switch I assumed I'd be selling more or less all my other equipment, but after extensive fiddling over the last couple of evenings I think I'm going to have to build the Helix into a larger board with a bunch of other bits. I'm not overly taken with the reverbs, especially. Has anyone else kept things they expected to have made obsolete?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9447
    Great question mate...

At the moment, I've kept the Big Sky and Timeline, along with a Trio Plus.

I agree that the verbs are great, but good enough in the Helix.

Incoming Meris Mercury 7 and Moog MF104m though, are pure indulgence.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23959
    A few bits for a small board mainly - for when I won't take the Helix. Compressor, drive, envelope filter.

But for Helix use - mainly the Digitech Bass Synth Wah as nothing comes close to that. And my favourite FF type fuzz, the Guitarsystems Fuzztool Junior.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    So far, I've kept a bunch of dirts, as much for sentimental reasons as anything: 

- Rat
    - Hotcake
    - Liquid Sunshine (probably going for sale soon)
    - Rockett Archer
    - MonkeyFX Valvesporker (super rare, super funky)
    - homemade Muff, Fuzz Face and a couple of 1-knob boosts
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8591
    If you can afford the space and/or the cash then it's worth keeping pedals for comparison. The TS-9 is my standard OD pedal. Occasionally I A/B it against my current set up. I've been doing that since the days when the GT-8 multiFX was state of the art. The comparison shows me how modelling has improved, and how my taste has changed. I also take the TS-9 to every gig as a backup, not that I've ever needed to use it.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    This is interesting, so lots of different stuff reallly. Starting to think I should have just bought an ES8 & the Empress reverb for the money...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    It's worth noting I haven't actually plugged in any of mine since getting my Helix. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

I've kept a few Juansolo dirt pedals, a Phase 45 and polytune.

I like the reverbs in the Helix, I just want a big atmospheric ambient verb to be added.

Of the effects I really like, the Auto filter is funky as fuck, the harmonic trem and vibe are great too.

Still looking for flange and phasers that work for me, but there are quite a few variables so I may just need tweaking time.

Drive wise I'm happy with the Helix so far.

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    VJIves said:
    This is interesting, so lots of different stuff reallly. Starting to think I should have just bought an ES8 & the Empress reverb for the money...
    Have you considered the Fractal FX8?  A couple of people have had both and generally the biggest FX difference seems to be noted in the reverbs currently.  I have not personally compared them side by side, but I do think the reverbs in the Axe FX 2 (which are the same in the FX8) are very nice, and highly tweakable as necessary.  Recent updates to the multidelay block also make it easier to get a shimmer effect (I think it is called input diffusion).

There are a lot of differences between the units, and the interfaces, but if you were considering digital it might be worth exploring the FX8 before going to a switcher + separates setup
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12881
    I think you may get a slightly more accurate response if you ask "what pedals are you still actively using" - people will take your question as is fairly literally! 
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1590
    edited May 2017
    Echorec - cos I like it. 
    Stone Deaf PDF-1 was a present. 
    Soul Food - cos it's worth f@#k and I wanted the power supply. 
    EHX Freeze - Helix can't do it. 
    Old wah I converted into and expression pedal with a switch so I could use the wah's in the helix with a more traditional feeling wah pedal. 

Did keep for a while an infinity looper - but realised the helix looper was ample for me. 

To be honest I could do without all of the above. 

SOLD:

AMT Wah
    Obscura 
    Flint
    Digitech vibe
    Flashback
    Boss rc3
    Handmade fuzz
    The elements
    Pitchfork
    Ego
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9447
    VJIves said:
    Have you considered the Fractal FX8?  A couple of people have had both and generally the biggest FX difference seems to be noted in the reverbs currently.  I have not personally compared them side by side, but I do think the reverbs in the Axe FX 2 (which are the same in the FX8) are very nice, and highly tweakable as necessary.  Recent updates to the multidelay block also make it easier to get a shimmer effect (I think it is called input diffusion).

There are a lot of differences between the units, and the interfaces, but if you were considering digital it might be worth exploring the FX8 before going to a switcher + separates setup
    If you are wavering, this is the option.

The delays and verbs (especially the verbs) are delightful on the FX8. There is one in the forum too for peanuts...
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993

I'm using helix in 4cm with an amp. Only pedals kept in gigging rig are ;

1) EQD palisades, it just pushed the amp how I like. I could probably replicated it with the 808 block and EQ but haven't had time.

2) Dakglass B7k for when I'm playing bass. (I haven't updated so don't have the helix model)

3) Tuner in front of helix. So I can record a loop and have it playing while I tune silently.

• sgosden said:

1) EQD palisades, it just pushed the amp how I like. I could probably replicated it with the 808 block and EQ but haven't had time.

2) Dakglass B7k for when I'm playing bass. (I haven't updated so don't have the helix model)

3) Tuner in front of helix. So I can record a loop and have it playing while I tune silently.

Does the Helix tuner mute the looper? I'm not sure that it does?
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    sgosden said:

Does the Helix tuner mute the looper? I'm not sure that it does?
    I may have missed something in the settings - but im fairly sure it does.
    Also the helix tuner doesn't like the Low A on my bass.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    Moogerfoogers. Dd1959 dd. Four eyes fuzz. Cali76 and a boss slicer
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    It's not just the reverb (and I have a lovely Matthews FX dual unit that I'm quite glad to be keeping after all), it's also stuff like my Judder, CT5, Bitquest...I guess I hadn't thought about all the stuff that a multi effects isn't really built for.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1948
    On a relayed subject, if you do decide to keep AND use pedals in the Helix loops, does anyone sell an "off the shelf case" that holds eveything. Preferably 2 tiers with Helix on top with pedals and power source hidden underneath? I've looked but can't see anything.
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Check custompedalboards they do most things 
  • UnorthodoxUnorthodox Frets: 395
    Kept: Strymon Mobius, Timeline, Bigsky
    Sold: TC Spark, EHX Tortion (JFET OD), EHX Soulfood, ZVEX Fuzz Factory clone by Thorpy
    Kinda want: TC Mimiq, Digitech Freqout, Hologram Dream Sequence 

There's not one box out there that does everything, but there are some that some close enough that you won't feel as though you're making that much of a compromise. In my case, I sold off my ODs as the Helix was near enough identical, kept the Strymons simply because I like them and they do somethings the Helix can't. The GAS hasn't left me, but it's certainly died down.
  • Digital_IglooDigital_Igloo Frets: 378
    Pedals:
    Electro-Harmonix POG
    Line 6 DL4 w/ EX-1
    Subdecay Harmonic Antagonizer
    Z.Vex Wooly Mammoth

Not Hot Dog Pedals:

Lexicon PCM 91
    Buttloads of plugins
    Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group | Line 6 | Ampeg