Need a decent acoustic - recommendations please?

HaychHaych Frets: 5595

I've not had a good acoustic guitar in a good 10 - 12 years since I sold my Martin D1 when we fell on hard times just after I got married.

I really fancy getting back into playing acoustic guitar more seriously and fancy a decent instrument, but while I'm quite au fait with electrics I really have no clue on acoustic guitars these days.  I bought the Martin on faith in the name and got lucky but that was 20 years ago, or so, and I've become quite jaded by the cost cutting of even big names plus the sheer amount of different models offered at every conceivable price point.

So I guess my query is; if I have a budget of around £1000 but no more than £1500 to spend, what should I expect for my money and what brands/models should I add to my list to check out.

My main criteria is that it should obviously sound good but I want something easy to play - one thing the Martin could have done a bit better if I'm honest, but then I play electric most of the time so maybe I'm expecting too much to pick up an acoustic and for it to 'play like butter' (hate that phrase but I think it describes the situation aptly). 

I like to play finger style quite a lot (raised listening to Knopfler and I can never find a pick anyway) so would like something that's quite sensitive and touch responsive, but also would like something that could handle an eager (and ham-fisted) rendition of Pinball Wizard too.

If it had an on-board pickup system it would be a bonus bit it's not on my list of necessities.  It also doesn't need to have a cutaway but I wouldn't refuse a guitar with one.

Thanks in advance.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    Are you looking for new or used? I know Knoppers is fond of Gibson acoustics although in his last interview he was using a Martin D18 from the 30's.

New I'd look at a Gibson J45 standard, but be prepared to try a few first, comes fitted with active pickup system.

Used a post 2012 Martin D18 or any D28.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7731
    edited May 2017
    Used Stonebridge or Larrivee OMs or a Martin 0016.If you like a more clean modern tone then try Taylors in your budget.

I've not played literally every model but this is in the range for used prices around £1000

I've mentioned OM body sizes as these will work great with finger picking. Re playability, 12s usually give you the best all round tone but will be a fair bit heavier than electric strings, the point being that you adapt your style to your acoustic. However if you go to 11's and want to play them all the time then you will want to look at specific guitars that will respond well to lighter strings. (usually smaller than OM sizes)
  • dtrdtr Frets: 1037
    Furch are great in that price bracket.  Their Vintage series is very Martin like, and the Millennium series is a bit more modern.  The build quality is superb.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5595

@BigLicks67 - I'm initially thinking new since it's much easier to visit shops and compare models than it is buying used, but for no other reason than that.  If I find one used that fits the bill then it's a no-brainer really.

@Winny_Pooh - a lot of interesting information in your comment that I'd never thought about before, thank you.  I think I used 11 gauge 80/20 strings on the D1 when I had it.  Looking back it was definitely more of a strumming guitar that a picker.

I was looking at Taylor instruments actually - they do a few with a slightly shorter scale (24 7/8) that might make playing a little easier than say the 25.5 I think the Martin had.  Gibson of course use 24 3/4 but I think they're probably out of my budget, and unless significantly better made than their electrics I'm not sure they'd be very good bang for buck.

I'm really not at all au fait with different body types available and what each of them do well and don't do well.  A lot of Googling happening this weekend methinks.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    Haych said:

Gibson of course use 24 3/4 but I think they're probably out of my budget, and unless significantly better made than their electrics I'm not sure they'd be very good bang for buck.

I've got a 2017 J45 and it is very well put together, I know this is not always the case with Gibson. Also, I got it for £1500 new so whatever the RRP is you can always haggle. I suggested the J45 as the bracing is light and you don't have to fight with it particularly when fingerpicking, whereas a D28 takes a bit more effort to work the top.

Regards Taylor I owned a 414ce years ago and the J45 is definitely a superior guitar imho.
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Maybe also take a look at Eastman.