Those New Modern DC shaped Gibsons from NAMM

What's Hot

Comments

• fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    edited May 2017
    I get the iconic Gibson headstock. They've protected it with varying degrees of effort over the years, but it doesn't make for a modern guitar design. Oh, and  .... humbuckers [check], mahogany [check], tun-o-matic [check], nitro finish [check] offered in gold [check] 'burst [check], black [check]. But I kinda like them. Other than the red/yellow burst.

I wonder what kind of tone you'll get. Will it be different enough to warrant one of these over an LP? I do wonder what are these going to do that an existing model LP or SG isn't already going to give you?

Then the price. $4,000 = £4,000. Ooops. Gibson just lost millions of customers who think even $1,000 is too much for a guitar. Little Jimmy won't be getting one of these for Christmas. Methinks they're for the Lawyers and Dentists who already have a stable of PRS wall hangers.

Is it worth asking for some real innovation? Like a volute at the neck/head joint to resolve Gibson's longstanding design flaw? Or a Gibson with a vibrato that's not Bigsby? Or a pickup combination that's not the same-old same-old twin humbucker layout?

It's not as if the world is short of twin 'bucker mahogany-bodied guitars (new or used). Sigh.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    Don't mind the DC, but priced wrong and the trade headstock doesn't work with it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    That DC is bloody awful
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    I'm not feeling the love.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    All of those customs look amazing

Shame the prices are mental
    Stop crying, start buying
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    I like the DCs.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Yawn.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5128
    The double cuts would look better if both cutouts were the same i.e. on fire.
    FTFY

It's like they don't want to be in business any more.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14034
    tFB Trader
    Rabs said:
    @rabs - I'm having a shit day today - PC issues - and you are just making it worse !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What because looking at these guitars makes you feel ill or you have issues with Photobucket?

Sorry.. I do not mean to mock, I haven't experienced these issues with viewing the images so am not sure what it does.

sorry not an insult or bad comment at you one bit  - yes it makes me ill having to see such crazy new pieces - makes a bad day worse I suppose

Thanks for the updates and postings
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2602
    edited May 2017 tFB Trader
    sorry not an insult or bad comment at you one bit  - yes it makes me ill having to see such crazy new pieces - makes a bad day worse I suppose

Good good Its just I know some people have issues with photobucket...  so I wasn't sure...

And yeah.. These guitars are weird cos they are being made by the custom shop, thus the price... What they should have done is released them through the USA division...  Then this guitar would be at like Firebird or DC Standard sort of level which would put them more in the £1400/£1800 range.. And for such a new design (for them) that would have made way more sense.. Theres nothing in any way about those guitars that justifies putting them in that stupid price range. (which actually could be said for a lot of their guitars).

• BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5834
    I like those new DCs, they don't do one one in White unfortunately, I think that would look gorgeous if they did.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14034
    tFB Trader
    Rabs said:

Good good Its just I know some people have issues with photobucket...  so I wasn't sure...

And yeah.. These guitars are weird cos they are being made by the custom shop, thus the price... What they should have done is released them through the USA division...  Then this guitar would be at like Firebird or DC Standard sort of level which would put them more in the £1400/£1800 range.. And for such a new design (for them) that would have made way more sense.. Theres nothing in any way about those guitars that justifies putting them in that stupid price range. (which actually could be said for a lot of their guitars).

I thought the original DC Standards from around 15-20 years ago were okay and sensible prices - a Hamer vibe - But at those C/Shop prices I don't see it - The pics of the V/Explorer etc don't initially look bad until you see the price tags again - Those DC prices are above that of many PRS Guitars as well
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16546
    Oh yeah, I really liked the older DC models
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    Rabs said:

I thought the original DC Standards from around 15-20 years ago were okay and sensible prices - a Hamer vibe - But at those C/Shop prices I don't see it - The pics of the V/Explorer etc don't initially look bad until you see the price tags again - Those DC prices are above that of many PRS Guitars as well

Compared to a PRS the price isn't that bad really, a McCarty goes for $3600 in the US and when you're spending that much  10% isn't a huge difference. 

The real issue is that it isn't as good as a McCarty. 
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
    Unfortunately not a price I'd pay.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    Looking at that weird carved LP (which I don't want, but totally *get*), I'd love to see what their R&D guys are coming up with that HenryJ won't sign off on.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I want one of each of those new Customs.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3132
    As already posted this seems a bit too prs and incredibly overpriced for what looks to be another unsuccessful model. However, we have to remember that a lot of the models we know and love (les Paul, firebird, jazzmaster/jag) met with the same resistance and poor sales when they were released, so who is to know how the instruments we are less impressed with will be viewed in 60 years time. Of course that does hang on some quality control too, not that vintage instruments are renowned for their 'perfection'. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    I quite like them apart from the headstock which doesn't suit the body shape imo.