Kodi add on

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15960
is there an add on prog for all those old b&w  30s 40s & 50s movies?
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17598
    tFB Trader
    Please don't share techniques to share pirated material or this thread will be deleted.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15960

Oh I had no idea.....is someone allowed to pipe up with a good ad on for old black and whites  though?

if not you can just give the post the bum's rush

tae be or not tae be
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    hootsmon said:

Oh I had no idea.....is someone allowed to pipe up with a good ad on for old black and whites  though?

if not you can just give the post the bum's rush

Only if it is a legal link, which they are almost certainly not going to be.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15960
    MonQ....just pull the plug baby
    tae be or not tae be
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24287
    Actually, I'm sure there are plugins for watching really old B&W films that nobody gives a monkeys about anymore.  I'm sure they are legal.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    Is this Kodi business legal?  I was working on the understanding that it was a bit dodgy, like Napster and The Dark Web?
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Kodi itself is completely legal. Using add ons to access copyrighted material is where it becomes dodgy Handsome_Chris said:
    Is this Kodi business legal?  I was working on the understanding that it was a bit dodgy, like Napster and The Dark Web?

Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17598
    tFB Trader

Kodi is legal. 

Watching copyright content via dodgy apps is not.
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    Emp_Fab said:
    Actually, I'm sure there are plugins for watching really old B&W films that nobody gives a monkeys about anymore.  I'm sure they are legal.
    There are about a gazillion old movie channels I can access on my little Roku stick, so yeah, if they're that old, it doesn't matter how you watch 'em.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24250
    Emp_Fab said:
    There are about a gazillion old movie channels I can access on my little Roku stick, so yeah, if they're that old, it doesn't matter how you watch 'em.
    Having a quick google...

Apparently it can be..

For films, life + 70 years for the last to die of: principal director, author of screenplay, author of dialogue, or composer of music specifically created for and used in the film

BUT

If it is based on release date..

50 years from end of calendar year when the broadcast was first made (broadcasts)

But I can't tell which approach would apply to any particular film- broadcast or age of the principals. And for a cinema film is the first broadcast considered to be the premiere showing anywhere in the world?

I found some lists of public domain films but those lists appear to be based on USA law which doesn't apply here - and many of them appear to be because of a failure to renew Copyright.

So presumably copyright can be renewed, at least in the US, which may well render the broadcast date pretty worthless.

So - fuck knows.
    And...

It appears than any film released before 1923 in the USA is out of copyright - in the USA.

Does that apply here too?

Fuck knows.

Although I suspect that if it is a US production from that long ago they are not going to be chasing anyone anywhere else for watching it.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26565
    So...the official position from our resident qualified law expert is..."fuck knows".

I presume that's the legal equivalent of us techies saying, "Dunno...have you tried turning it off and on again?"...? :D
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    Public domain films are a thing, they are few and far between though, and aren't going to let you catch up on Buster Keaton, Harold Lloyd or Charlie Chaplin. 

Bear in mind these only become watchable in digital form because someone sat, scanned and restored them, sometimes painstakingly over a long period.  That person/people would require payment.

There is a great selection of classic films on BFI Player Plus, for a measly £4.99 per month.  So for a pint of beer you could fill most of your spare time.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    I installed Kodi on my Android tablet after the last Kodi thread but I've yet to try it.
    So...the official position from our resident qualified law expert is..."fuck knows".

I presume that's the legal equivalent of us techies saying, "Dunno...have you tried turning it off and on again?"...? :D
    I've got a few of the dedicated music copyright texts, but nothing on films and telly.

I like old films too - but I'm happy to buy used DVDs on Amazon for pennies. Some mental bargains on there sometimes.

I got Series 1 of CSI (I never saw the first series) for a whopping.... 54 pence!
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779

As far as I'm concerned I'll take it as read that it's all legal.  You guys wouldn't let iyt on here if it wasn't!
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26565
    edited May 2017

I presume that's the legal equivalent of us techies saying, "Dunno...have you tried turning it off and on again?"...? D
    As far as I'm concerned I'll take it as read that it's all legal.  You guys wouldn't let iyt on here if it wasn't!
    That's a bit arse-about-face, dude. I was hoping that @fretmeister would share some black-and-white (heh) wisdom, but apparently we're either not paying him enough or we're paying him waaaaay too much :D
    <space for hire>

Don't do that.

If you ask for an app that allows very old public domain movies to be watched but the app also allows copyrighted content to be watched then the problem remains.

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754

I like old films too - but I'm happy to buy used DVDs on Amazon for pennies. Some mental bargains on there sometimes.
    QFT - often literally pennies.

It's a shame that the "That's Entertainment" chain had it's time then faded away, they had incredible bargains, I bought Tommy Lee Jones disaster classic Volcano in there for about a quid.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    I deleted my Kodi app once they started handing out £10k fines for using it.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom