Hows about these then..... New Gibson Standard Paint Over

What's Hot
RabsRabs Frets: 2608
in Guitar tFB Trader

Paint over???  hmmmm

Starting At $5,999

The 2017 Les Paul Standard "Painted-Over" Series blends the minute details, iconic look, and seminal feel of Gibson's most inspiring solid body guitar with a refreshingly defiant, roughed-up and weathered aesthetic that's been hand-crafted to make each guitar its own one-of-a-kind work of art.

Material1 Piece Mahogany, Long Tenon, Hide GluedNeck ProfileMedium Chunky, .9" depth at nut, 1.0" at 12th ffretScale Length24.75", 62.865cmFingerboard MaterialSolid RosewoodFingerboard Radius12"Number of Frets22FretsHistoric Medium-JumboNut MaterialNylonNut Width1.687", 42.85mmEnd of Board Width2.240", 56.89mmInlaysCellulose TrapezoidTruss Rod50's Style-No Tubing

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2017/Custom/Les-Paul-Standard-Painted-Over.aspx#CSLPSTDPSL11075

http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r588/Rabs2010/2008 standard/CSLPSTD1_zpssf1zlroy.jpg

http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r588/Rabs2010/2008 standard/CSLPSTDPSL1_zpstkis9qnn.jpg

http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r588/Rabs2010/2008 standard/CSLPSTDPSL_zpsjylrtebq.jpg

http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r588/Rabs2010/2008 standard/CSLPSTD01_zpsifkwhsu7.jpg

http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r588/Rabs2010/2008 standard/CSLPSTDP01_zpsh0hnwf9o.jpg

9reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    FFS....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • NeckwringerNeckwringer Frets: 357

So thats where there off to..........the paint shop..........
    13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2608
    tFB Trader

Haha...

Whats weird is I see a couple of those tops have flame.. It would just want to make me sand the whole thing down and end up with a nice flamed top..  Lol   :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    Another Gibson gasp 
    I will stand corrected but were gibsons back in the day refinished the same way Fender did cover one colour if dealers wanted a different colour. 

Look horrible
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    I think they look awesome and at £999 they will fly off the shelves
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    Fender is making a fortune from recreating some of their factory production processes from back in the day. Gibson obviously wants a slice of the action. 

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3319
    Total Shit.  Unbelievable
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16668
    I think i beat Gibson to the punch on this one, although obviously fender have been doing it for yonks

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26966
    To be fair, this is not significantly different from the Fender heavy-relic over-painted stupidmcstupidguitar. The only real difference is that Fender used to do it for real quite often, and I don't think Gibson did. 

Either way, it's scraping the barrel of trying to keep the collectors buying *anything* new
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14223
    tFB Trader
    Fender did it because it happened to be how some models were originally done, hence C/Shop have 'copied' an original

But this looks the worse mess I've seen on a GIbson - granted they've made errors in the past, be it guitars we might now label as cool but at the time flopped - But this is just appalling - Who's idea and who authorised it - Gobsmacked to say the least

I can under stand an aged version - be it a Marmite issue - but this is a no no for me 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    edited May 2017

Is that the same guitar refinished several times? Alas I was hoping for a black on gold on red on white. A bit like the bottom photo, but with a bit of red and white showing.

edit: I'm thinking that Gibson are really trying to alienate some. Why they cant just make a well designed guitar that appeals to more than those who earn megabucks. Sad really sad. The price puts people off, and I want a new guitar to look new, not abused.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    When people ask what's a good relic and what's a bad one?

6k!
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    I'm not sure who would aspire to owning one of those.
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4258
    These are giving the Firebird X and Dusk Tiger a run for their money in the fucking stupid stakes.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    WezV said:
    I think i beat Gibson to the punch on this one, although obviously fender have been doing it for yonks

That actually looks pretty good, unlike those Gibson things.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    It's more than I pay for a guitar, but I don't have a problem with the look, or that they're using an idea that they didn't come up with.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    I feel a bit sorry for Gibson - people will hate on them for anything they do, they might as well give up.

People are reacting like Gibson has insulted their mother.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16668
    It does make me wonder if Gibson ever did anything like this.  The odd factory refinish or warranty repair etc...

i think most Gibson finishes would leach through more obviously than these examples.   They look too clean and photoshopped 
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Jack_ said:
    I feel a bit sorry for Gibson - people will hate on them for anything they do, they might as well give up.

People are reacting like Gibson has insulted their mother.

Agree that was my first thought on seeing this and the new DC threads, either Gibson are boring and making the same guitars they have for 60 years and are out of ideas or they are spending too much time releasing new models when all people want is the classics 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Gibson have finally lost the plot.