eBay Content: Nice Cavity - only £65K

What's Hot
HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8028

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2464
    edited May 2017
    What a wreck! I'd be surprised if they get more than £2k for it given that it is largely unoriginal. Might play well but it has no collectible value aside from artist association.
    edit - although the PAF's add to the value, missed that bit... make it £4k 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14404

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    The things we do....
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    It's probably not a 54 considering the Humbucker was invented in 55.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16630
    It's probably not a 54 considering the Humbucker was invented in 55.
    And added to this guitar later.

it has an honest description and real mods.   They all make it worth a lot less, but it does seem to be what it claims 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14166
    tFB Trader
    totally deluded - or am I missing something - It might well be what it claims to be but 65K !!!!!!!!!
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7814
    Hahahahahaha. The lunatics are out today, the price is hilarious.  Why to people think that 'D-list' celeb ownership of a guitar adds tremendous value to a badly vandalised instrument?
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    It really pisses me off when people clip their strings like that. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    Actually guys... it is Eric Stewart's guitar. It started off as a '54 - but I'm not 100% sure of how much is original to that... for example, the neck has had a lot of work - what happened to the original fretboard and inlays? If it was a Custom, why is the binding on the front only? Floyd Rose trem install - the 80s were a bad time for guitars...

However, its clearly the same guitar that Eric used with McCartney and with some of the other stuff. And secretly, I quite like the idea of the varitone... £65k? Hmmm, I think it may be tad optimistic and it has been for sale for a long time...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11740
    Surely not worth 65k!  If it was a former guitar of Paul McCartney's from the Beatles era maybe!

Well even then, its ultimately worth what someone is willing to pay for it.  If it was for charity and I was a millionaire I'd probably hoover up guitars from people like Graham Coxon or James Dean Bradfield, Tim Wheeler etc.

Of course, none of their guitars would go for 65k!!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    Surely not worth 65k!  If it was a former guitar of Paul McCartney's from the Beatles era maybe!

Well even then, its ultimately worth what someone is willing to pay for it.  If it was for charity and I was a millionaire I'd probably hoover up guitars from people like Graham Coxon or James Dean Bradfield, Tim Wheeler etc.

Of course, none of their guitars would go for 65k!!
    I agree the price is a tad optimistic.

Oh and an ex-McCartney guitar? Doesn't exist, he doesn't part with *anything* - my wife's ex rewired his studio in Sussex and he's kept *everything*. Therefore if anything did come up, I think you could put a nought on the end and maybe double if if was a Beatles era guitar!

• RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

Good grief look at that nut! (I hate locking nuts anyway so admit I'm biased.)

For a collector, it'll be interesting though.  Obviously priced high, expecting it to be knocked down a lot.

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9576
    There is a term for this type of hugely overpriced, nothing-special guitar with spurious minor celebrity connections. It's known as a "Fratell-Tele".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    There is a term for this type of hugely overpriced, nothing-special guitar with spurious minor celebrity connections. It's known as a "Fratell-Tele".
    "Minor celebrity"?

I'm not much of fan of 10cc but I'd say that they are bit more than 'minor celebrity'....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7005
    tFB Trader
    rico said:
    It really pisses me off when people clip their strings like that. 
    Yeah, I'm out.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11285
    Asking for £65k - optimism
    Paying £65k - insanity
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3581
    impmann said:
    "Minor celebrity"?

I'm not much of fan of 10cc but I'd say that they are bit more than 'minor celebrity'....
    Agreed, Stewart has writing credits on hits over several decades and featured as a performer over a similar period not to mention production on some stand out items like Sad Cafe, Niel Sedaka, That blonde ABBA woman. He also got asked to collaborate with Paul MacCartney and Alan Parsons at the height of thier fame.

Don't get the wrong idea, I'm not in love, but the man has star quality.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8028
     ESBlonde said:
    impmann said:
    "Minor celebrity"?

Agreed, Stewart has writing credits on hits over several decades and featured as a performer over a similar period not to mention production on some stand out items like Sad Cafe, Neil Sedaka, That blonde ABBA woman. He also got asked to collaborate with Paul McCartney and Alan Parsons at the height of their fame.

Don't get the wrong idea, I'm not in love, but the man has star quality.

Major or minor celebrity, that list of credentials still makes me want to barf. :s

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8028
     Ravenous said:

Good grief look at that nut! (I hate locking nuts anyway so admit I'm biased.)

For a collector, it'll be interesting though.  Obviously priced high, expecting it to be knocked down a lot.

By £60K+? ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    edited May 2017
    I know this guitar well - I delivered it post-headstock break - from his tech to Ted Lee for repair.

It is incredibly heavy (despite the Floyd Rose cavity) and is 'so' far from original that its barely recognisable as a 50s guitar. IIRC, it suffered a serious neck break earlier in its life and was renecked by Ted - having salvaged the original fingerboard.

Without an artist association, I doubt it would sell for as much as a Gibson Custom Shop guitar.

Here's a very young me - and my late sister with it - and the break:

http://s1051.photobucket.com/user/richardhomer/media/IMG_0734.jpg.html?filters[user]=125416785&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0
    0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom