eBay Content: Nice Cavity - only £65K

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9592
    For the record, I think 10cc were a hugely talented band, but I don't think they were ones to play up to the popstar angle (apart from Godley and Creme after they left maybe). I was having a dig at people using tenuous connections to vastly overinflate their asking price.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    Don't quite get the celebrity playing a guitar ups it's value thing. On several occasions I was up close to Rory Gallaghers Strat. No way would I take hold of it let alone try to play something on it. It was Rory's guitar. Preserve it as a tribute to him. And I feel the same about other big names in music. It is still only a guitar no matter who owned or played it. It is of value as a guitar and how playable it is. Not because of who owned it some time in the past.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Mods for Mods' Sake.

Whoever did that tremolo install deserves some Rubber Bullets to the head.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    Bucket said:
    Mods for Mods' Sake.

So essentially you're saying,"I'm not in love" with it?
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I just love the use of quotation marks and capitals in the listing.

"The guitar had been modified over the years and had a 'Tremelo Arm' fitted and removed at some point"

"
    A 'Nut Lock' has been fitted to the Headstock, and a 'Tuneable 'Bad-Ass' Bridge' has also been added."

"The wiring has been modified to Gibson 'Stereo', and a Gibson 'Stereo' control has been fitted in place of one of the original 'Tone Controls'."

I don't know why, it just makes me chuckle. 'Tone Controls'. Lol.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    I know this guitar well - I delivered it post-headstock break - from his tech to Ted Lee for repair.

It is incredibly heavy (despite the Floyd Rose cavity) and is 'so' far from original that its barely recognisable as a 50s guitar. IIRC, it suffered a serious neck break earlier in its life and was renecked by Ted - having salvaged the original fingerboard.

Without an artist association, I doubt it would sell for as much as a Gibson Custom Shop guitar.

Here's a very young me - and my late sister with it - and the break:

http://s1051.photobucket.com/user/richardhomer/media/IMG_0734.jpg.html?filters[user]=125416785&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0
    Wow what a cool story!

If the fingerboard that's on there now was salvaged from a neck break, I think it must have had another re-neck as that's a rosewood board with LP Standard inlays! 

Its certainly seen life!
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

edited May 2017
    impmann said:
    Wow what a cool story!

If the fingerboard that's on there now was salvaged from a neck break, I think it must have had another re-neck as that's a rosewood board with LP Standard inlays! 

Its certainly seen life!
    The theory that it's the black LPC which Eric Stewart bought off Albert Lee isn't right, according to my recollection. The LPC was a pukka 3 pick-up late 50s guitar with humbuckers (I got this info from Albert Lee at Toneworld, where he did a Musicman clinic in 2012).

The guitar in question started life - I believe - as an early/mid-50s Gold Top, with P90s. Ted 'converted' it to late 50s spec, by fitting a book-matched maple cap and PAFs from a 335 which also belonged to Eric Stewart, along with a complete refinish. A friend of mine has a picture of the guitar with Ted, presenting it back to Eric Stewart in this guise, after he'd completed the work.

Some time later, Stewart decided he wanted it modifying to a double-cut - so the guitar went back to Ted to have the work performed. Stewart decided he'd made a mistake and asked Ted to return it to a single-cut. By this point, the only way to hide the work was to refinish it in a solid colour - hence why it's now black.

You'll note that not only is it only bound around the top - but that the binding is single, as opposed to Custom style purfling. The headstock is too narrow for a Custom - even though it has a Custom-style inlay and binding. The headstock veneer and fingerboard were salvaged when it was renecked (though the veneer wasn't original). IIRC, Ted refused to fit a Floyd to it - as he reckoned a Gibson-style headstock wouldn't last five minutes with a locking nut installed - so someone else did the work. When he was proved right, it went back to Ted to have it repaired - the photo I've posted was taken around '93/94.

As I said in my previous post - so little of it is original, it's hardly a vintage guitar at all....
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    As I said in my previous post - so little of it is original, it's hardly a vintage guitar at all....
    So...who's the eBay seller? Anyone know?

@richardhomer - I agree completely - and it's an interesting "Trigger's Broom" point...if the guitar has little or no "Vintage" value (other than a few parts, by the sound of it) and it's been royally (albeit professionally) hacked about over the years, how is it possible to agree on a value (and what does the artist association add to that)?

£65K is blatantly ridiculous.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    impmann said:
    Wow what a cool story!

Its certainly seen life!
    The theory that it's the black LPC which Eric Stewart bought off Albert Lee isn't right, according to my recollection. The LPC was a pukka 3 pick-up late 50s guitar with humbuckers (I got this info from Albert Lee at Toneworld, where he did a Musicman clinic in 2012).

The guitar in question started life - I believe - as an early/mid-50s Gold Top, with P90s. Ted 'converted' it to late 50s spec, by fitting a book-matched maple cap and PAFs from a 335 which also belonged to Eric Stewart, along with a complete refinish. A friend of mine has a picture of the guitar with Ted, presenting it back to Eric Stewart in this guise, after he'd completed the work.

Some time later, Stewart decided he wanted it modifying to a double-cut - so the guitar went back to Ted to have the work performed. Stewart decided he'd made a mistake and asked Ted to return it to a single-cut. By this point, the only way to hide the work was to refinish it in a solid colour - hence why it's now black.

You'll note that not only is it only bound around the top - but that the binding is single, as opposed to Custom style purfling. The headstock is too narrow for a Custom - even though it has a Custom-style inlay and binding. The headstock veneer and fingerboard were salvaged when it was renecked (though the veneer wasn't original). IIRC, Ted refused to fit a Floyd to it - as he reckoned a Gibson-style headstock wouldn't last five minutes with a locking nut installed - so someone else did the work. When he was proved right, it went back to Ted to have it repaired - the photo I've posted was taken around '93/94.

Wow! Great info @richardhomer :)

Again, it shows that these hallowed 'golden era' guitars we now all covet, were old guitar back then, no thought of future value. 

I think the seller is either a little deluded or hoping for a die hard 10cc fan who has a private pension to cash in soon....
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14181
    tFB Trader
    Bucket said:
    Mods for Mods' Sake.

So essentially you're saying,"I'm not in love" with it?
    more of a case of 'the things we do for you' 

I'm off now to have a tin of soup - hopefully minestrone today
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14181
    tFB Trader
    impmann said:
    Wow what a cool story!

Its certainly seen life!

I've heard that story before back in the myths of time especially the conversion to DC - I think I heard that it was an original 59 he modified, but your info makes more sense - hopefully for the sake of destroying an original burst
    guitars4you said:
     I think I heard that it was an original 59 he modified, but your info makes more sense - hopefully for the sake of destroying an original burst
    It was looking like one at the point he had the second cutaway added - but it definitely wasn't one. As @Miserneil says - classics were generally not considered anything other than 'old guitars' at that point - though late '50s Les Paul Standards were. Ted wouldn't have butchered a real one.