The guitar rant thread

What's Hot

Comments

• LevLev Frets: 228
    People (other band members and their girlfriends) posting really bad videos of you live on YT.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2218
    rico said:
    people who, in band practices, insist on noodling away in between songs when you're trying to talk about stuff.
    That is spot on.

That's our keyboard player.
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2364
    People that pay £4k for a Patrick Eggle Guitar....I fear for your sanity, future resale value and marriage. How did they ever get that expensive? Doesn't everyone remember last time? Seemingly not because World Guitars have sold 28 of them. Who has bought one here? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    i hate when you do a gig and someone comes up looks at your amp guitar pedals shakes his head and walks away!
    That's probably me.  :3

Seriously, though, does that happen before or after you perform? A lot of people do seem to listen with their eyes. They subscribe to a notion that there should be a correlation between music genre and equipment. (e.g. Explorers and Vees are unacceptable for lounge Jazz.)

I attend live music in the hope of being entertained and, possibly, pleasantly surprised by innovative playing or sonics. If it were me eyeballing the stage equipment, it would be in an attempt to understand why you sound the way that you do. 

I get the opposite. People always check my Rig out. I actually had someone in another band try to nick my main Distortion at one gig. 
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1057
    Lev said:
    People (other band members and their girlfriends) posting really bad videos of you live on YT.

nice. Especially when they are shaking the phone about so you get a lovely Doppler effect making your (my) playing sound (even more)out of tune!
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1507

And for something playing related, in "heavier" music for want of a better word, it always seems like it's only a matter of seconds during any rhythm playing that the guitarist will do that awful muted low string percussive note thing and think that it sounds big or bad ass or "heavy man"

This must be the most curmudgeonly archaic paragraph I've ever read on this site.

'You kids and your pesky palm muting!'
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • celentiumcelentium Frets: 356
    "Awful muted low string percussive note thing" is pure genius. I'd love to hear his description of a pinch harmonic.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    Strat54 said:
    People that pay £4k for a Patrick Eggle Guitar....I fear for your sanity, future resale value and marriage. How did they ever get that expensive? Doesn't everyone remember last time? Seemingly not because World Guitars have sold 28 of them. Who has bought one here? 
    This mentality

Guitarists are obsessed with resale value and it contributes to keeping the market pretty conservative.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    Strats from the 70s, that weigh as much as my car and have paint thicker that a copy of Guitarist, being advertised for sale at the same (or higher) prices than a used Custom Shop guitar....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2364
    Strat54 said:
    This mentality

Guitarists are obsessed with resale value and it contributes to keeping the market pretty conservative.

Sorry, 30 plus years in the retail motor trade made me resale obsessed!  :)  
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    celentium said:
    "Awful muted low string percussive note thing" is pure genius. I'd love to hear his description of a pinch harmonic.
    That fucking annoying squealy shit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Strat54 said:
    You ever played one?

They're good.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9686
    celentium said:
    Cheesy high pitched squealy noise that didn't even sound acceptable in the 80s ;)

I stand by the awful low note rhythmic muted noise though, so dull
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    i hate the fact i can spend ages reading this nonsense (entertaining) and then complain i dont have enough time to practise  and improve my guitar skills
    Ah. Very succinctly put. Guilty..
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7281
    celentium said:
    Cheesy high pitched squealy noise that didn't even sound acceptable in the 80s ;)

I stand by the awful low note rhythmic muted noise though, so dull
    I hate everything *except* palm muting and pinch harmonics :)
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Wanted ads. They don't work. You get exactly one response only and they rise up with "I have one, not really looking to sell, but I'll let it go for £2.60 less than a new one?".

Erm, no.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4721
    I hate it when the p/up height screws are too short or don't hold - you adjust them then they pop out of the p/up adjustment hole and the p/up then 'drops' and you've got to muck about sorting it out and finding longer screws. It happened on my 69 Strat (screws now replaced) and now my PRS Cu24...its a darned nuisance!
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Voxman said:
    I hate it when the p/up height screws are too short or don't hold - you adjust them then they pop out of the p/up adjustment hole and the p/up then 'drops' and you've got to muck about sorting it out and finding longer screws. It happened on my 69 Strat (screws now replaced) and now my PRS Cu24...its a darned nuisance!
    You replaced the original screws on your 69 strat to make it playable??

Heathen. You should have lived with it. Embrace the inadequacy..

;)
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16635
    Strat54 said:
    'Boutique' guitar 'builders' who buy in every last part but make out that they have sprinkled some magic over the guitar and created something much better than anyone else can...then ask £3000+ for a Strat! Worse still are those who then RELIC the thing like a dogs chewed it. 
    (There are some great builders like Joseph Kaye and Marc Rutters who literally build the guitar from the ground up). 
    Or when you tell someone you build guitars and they ask where you buy the bodies and necks from.

I do like a nice easy assembly job from parts.... but it's not what I am talking about when I say I build guitars.
  • chris45chris45 Frets: 221
    Referring to Gibsons as "Gibbos" or "Gibbies"