Wired vs Wireless mouse - what are you using?

What's Hot
My mouse broke recently so I ordered a replacement.  

I needed it next day as my old mouse had become unusable so I didn't take too much time to look at alternatives, I just wanted a simple 2 button + scroll wheel mouse that I wouldn't need to change batteries on.  Instead of getting another £5 cheapie I got a slightly nicer Logitech M150 at £11.99.

What struck me was the huge amount of wireless mice available today.  

So have most people switched to wireless now?  What mouse are you using?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I've been wireless for years and years .. I'm on keyboard and mouse number three ... Logitech K520 keyboard and M310 mouse.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13939

Apple Magic Mouse.

You need to buy an iMac to get one free with it though

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26573
    Wired keyboard, but wireless mouse - unfortunately, Logitech no longer make the mouse that I'm most comfortable with (the NX80), so I'm basically just praying it doesn't break. I've had mine for years, and it's still going...
    <space for hire>
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11292
    Fretwired said:
    I've been wireless for years and years .. I'm on keyboard and mouse number three ... Logitech K520 keyboard and M310 mouse.
    I'm using these as well. Not as good as the previous Logitech combo I used, the keyboard is very cheap-feeling by comparison.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28138
    Logitech M510 for the work laptop, Mionix NAOS 7000 for the main home PC, Elecom DEFT wireless trackball for the workshop PC, Microsoft Trackball Explorer Pro for the PCB CNC machine, Logitech M100 for the big CNC machine, cheapo Dell for the Alienware Alpha.

I have a few spares too.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
    Wired. I can't be doing with needing to worry about powering my mouse.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723

Always wired for me.  I'm using a cheap TeckNet mouse I got on Amazon, I don't even know the model of it, but it was only £10 and it's lasted me for the last 3 years and still going strong. 

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    Sporky said:
    Logitech M510 for the work laptop, Mionix NAOS 7000 for the main home PC, Elecom DEFT wireless trackball for the workshop PC, Microsoft Trackball Explorer Pro for the PCB CNC machine, Logitech M100 for the big CNC machine, cheapo Dell for the Alienware Alpha.

I have a few spares too.

A trackball is something I haven't tried.

@Sporky Is there a particular reason why you use a trackball in some situations and a mouse in others?
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    Wired mouse and keyboard.  The items that were supplied with the computer all those years ago.  Still working fine, no need to change either.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Sporky said:

I have a few spares too.

A trackball is something I haven't tried.

@Sporky Is there a particular reason why you use a trackball in some situations and a mouse in others?
    Space, mostly. The PCB CNC machine takes up most of its table. The workshop has a wireless trackball because I don't necessarily have much bench spare for a mouse, and what there is may be covered in ook. I'll probably get another of the Elecom ones (though maybe wired) for the workshop CNC machine.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26964
    For work I have a wireless Logitech M705 here. I've had a year out of it and the single battery is still going. It's great, and the toggle to switch between clicks wheel and non-clicky-flywheel mode is great for scrolling through big documents

And I have a Microsoft Desktop 900 keyboard (also came with a shitty mouse), which I chose mostly because it felt closest to the MacBook keyboard I'm used to at home.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Ah; keyboards. I bet there are people out there who don't care about keyboards.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Microsoft Wireless mouse 4000
    One of a few over time.
    Basically, 1xAA battery that lasts for frickin' yonks.
    When it does eventually need changing, and this is with me leaving it on 24/7 cos I forget to turn it off at night, but when the new battery light announces itself I simply stick in a single AA which is left over from the previous weekend's gig in the Line 6 G30 wireless. 
    Good to go for ages more.
    Wireless mouse for the win.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26964
    Sporky said:
    Ah; keyboards. I bet there are people out there who don't care about keyboards.
    Don't tell me you're one of these annoying noisy-clicky-keyboard types? SO annoying in an open plan office. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    I was; a proper Cherry Click.

These days I am less anti-social; a Filco Majestouch Ninja with silicone key bumpers. It doesn't feel as good but it's not far off, and it's a lot quieter.

And in the workshop a Cherry G224 which is crap to type on, but utterly impervious to dust.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    Sporky said:
    Sporky Is there a particular reason why you use a trackball in some situations and a mouse in others?
    Space, mostly. The PCB CNC machine takes up most of its table. The workshop has a wireless trackball because I don't necessarily have much bench spare for a mouse, and what there is may be covered in ook. I'll probably get another of the Elecom ones (though maybe wired) for the workshop CNC machine.
    Makes sense.

Some people have suggested there's an ergonomic argument for using a trackball but to be honest I don't get pain with a mouse so I don't think about it.

I did recently get a bit of left hand pain due to some ill thought out key commands (I was using shift followed by command + F a lot so my hand was constantly in a claw position with my thumb tucked under).  But that was just poor planning.

As far as keyboards go I'm using a wired Apple one.  I really like the feel of the keys.
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    Trackpad
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    Wireless mouse, wired keyboard. Both Apple, the ones that come with the iMac. (You need to specify a wired keyboard or you get the mini wireless one as standard.) Both are the best of either I've used.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Some people have suggested there's an ergonomic argument for using a trackball but to be honest I don't get pain with a mouse so I don't think about it.
    I think they can help some people, but you have to be careful; I can't work the ones where the ball is under your thumb. My thumbs are too twitchy.
  • I've got a tiny, cheap wireless logitech one. It's about 7 years old and I've completed Doom on the hardest difficulty :) so it's not bad. 

Does for photo editing, although it's more challenging than I'd like. One day I'll get a tablet.