What's the most you've ever spent on a CD?

What's Hot
bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
I just bought the Loudness album Live-Loud-Alive for £52.43 on Amazon :(. Feel's bad spending this much on a CD, but I really wanted it.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Johnny Winter Captured Live, American import or something. It was the only copy they had. £26. 

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    proggy said:
    Johnny Winter Captured Live, American import or something. It was the only copy they had. £26. 

Is it any good?
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I've got CDs that cost me £15 twenty five years ago, that's about £28 now according to the Bank of England inflation calculator. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    proggy said:

Is it any good?
    Yeah it's a great album, if you like blues-rock of course.
    I've got CDs that cost me £15 twenty five years ago, that's about £28 now according to the Bank of England inflation calculator. 
    I bet you thought that was a mad amount back then too.

I remember I bought a bootleg of a Petrucci, Vai and Satch G3 in Carlisle for £30 years ago and it was a shit recording too.

I picked up another Loudness album today from Amazon for £23.74.  Unfortunately when you want albums by bands popular in Japan you sometimes have to pay these prices.   
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    I try and spend as little as possible and buy used, so £15.99 recently on Hiss Golden Messenger's Heart like a Levee-deluxe 2cd version was alot. Tom Wait's Orphan 3cd set & Radiohead's book version of Amnesiac weren't cheap either but I have no idea how much they cost at the time.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    I like the Japanese mini-LP CDs, but I don't recall which is the most expensive one I've bought.
    I've also got some box-sets.
    prowla said:
    I like the Japanese mini-LP CDs, but I don't recall which is the most expensive one I've bought.
    I've also got some box-sets.
    Yeah those Japanese mini-LP CDs go for mad money, I've never bought any though.  
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72312
    Bob Marley - Songs Of Freedom box set. Off the top of my head it was about £40, twenty years ago. I bought it partly because I wanted it and partly because I'd got a discount voucher which I think was 25% off the next purchase - one item only… so naturally I bought the most expensive album I could find :). So it probably cost me about £30.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    Bob Marley - Songs Of Freedom box set. Off the top of my head it was about £40, twenty years ago. I bought it partly because I wanted it and partly because I'd got a discount voucher which I think was 25% off the next purchase - one item only… so naturally I bought the most expensive album I could find :). So it probably cost me about £30.
    Even for your smart shopping you get wisdoms! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Couple of weeks ago I bought Soft Machine Switzerland 1974 for £26.96. It's a combo CD/DVD of the Montreux performance. I'd seen all of it on YouTube many times, but after Alan Holdsworth's death I wanted to make sure I owned it so that I would always be able to see it whenever I needed.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I bought the led zeppelin destroyer bootleg for £30 in the 80s, that was a lot back then. It was 6 vinyl albums in a plastic case. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    @bingefeller £50 sounds like a bloody lot for one cd!
    axisus said:
    @bingefeller £50 sounds like a bloody lot for one cd!
    Yeah, it's a great album though.  You know how you have UFO's Strangers In The Night?  This is like Loudness's classic live album, one of the great live albums, only it's slipped under the radar.  
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Never paid more than about £15 for a CD

Vinyl-wise, it's probably my Radiohead A Moon Shaped Pool box set which was about £60
    Stop crying, start buying
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12897
    Definitely done £20 a few times. Probably more for box sets. 

Circa 2002 I once spent £300 in a single month at my local record shop. I discovered a lot of identical looking receipts in my wallet and made the mistake of totting them all up. Oops. 

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    £250 on 20-bit Jap remastered set of Focus CDs.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Fretwired said:
    £250 on 20-bit Jap remastered set of Focus CDs.

Could you tell the difference in sound quality?
    Definitely done £20 a few times. Probably more for box sets. 

Circa 2002 I once spent £300 in a single month at my local record shop. I discovered a lot of identical looking receipts in my wallet and made the mistake of totting them all up. Oops. 

That's why I always throw away receipts.  
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    edited May 2017
    Lately I've bought a few in a row on either Amazon or eBay that I couldn't find anywhere else that were about £16-17 each. Only 4 or 5 of them though, but I used to regularly spend £12-15 back in the 90s and early 2000s, which felt a lot at the time (more so given my income at the time student /  newly graduated). We've sort of been spoiled in the last 10 years or so with CDs generally being less than a tenner now with the push from the likes of Amazon and streaming services meaning the hard copies need to compete more to shift units.

Most I've paid was £25.00 back in about 1995/1996 for Green Day live CD that was a Japanese import. Paid £25ish about a year ago from a guy on Discogs for Elephant Riders by Clutch, so I guess that Green Day one is the dearest one in my "collection" as that's probably £40 now. Anything over about £12 and I kind of hang off and wait for it to be on sale, but some (like the ones I bought recently) it's pay up or tough. Weird how now I can afford to buy more, I'm more sensitive to the price...

Me and one mate are the only folk I know personally that still buy CDs. He buys 10-20 CDs a week. I'm more like 3 or 4 a month, if that.

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I think I paid between 50 and 60 quid for The Monkees' box set about 25 years ago. Mind you, my lovely missus bought me the recent Steve Hillage 'Searching For The Spark' box which was a rather jaw-dropping £200 (I didn't realise how much it cost when I first mentioned it though).

Having said that, the Hillage one contains 22 Cds, two proper books and other trinkets. The Monkees' one had 4 CDs and a booklet!