Tanglewood Crossroads - or other cheap acoustics (Vintage v400mh???)

thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
edited June 2017 in Acoustics
Seen these and am quite interested in one of the parlour models (model PE I think, roughly £130). Seem to fit my liking for fake retro nonsense, look nice, sound good in demos for that old country guitar type sound.

Anybody know if they are OK as a cheap acoustic? I don't play acoustic much so don't want a high end one. Intonation OK? Or is the Gretsch Jim Dandy better

I don't like big acoustics as I'm too small to play them

Thanks
Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9498
    edited May 2017
    Do you need a pickup system? There are some really good retro-styled small-body options at around the £200 mark - The Loar, Recording King and Sigma.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    Not really no, I do have a woody pickup somewhere but I've no real need for electro acoustic
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2418
    A new The Loar may well need work by a good luthier/tech but once that is done they sound really good and are particularly nice to play. If you can find one.

You will be lucky to find a new Tanglewood that does not need set-up work and some can be almost beyond hope so be prepared to try a few. Tanglewood residuals are not good and even finding a buyer can be elusive if you decide to sell on. Something to bear in mind.
    Jimbro66 said:
    A new The Loar may well need work by a good luthier/tech but once that is done they sound really good and are particularly nice to play. If you can find one.

You will be lucky to find a new Tanglewood that does not need set-up work and some can be almost beyond hope so be prepared to try a few. Tanglewood residuals are not good and even finding a buyer can be elusive if you decide to sell on. Something to bear in mind.
    Ahh see these were the comments I was hoping to not have to hear but grateful for you sharing them. If it'll need work doing of the shelf then its a no no from me. I just want a cheap thing that plays OK, and of it sounds good as well then it's a bonus. But if it sounds good but is no good to play then its out.

The Loads seem to be quite a bit more money, whilst they might hold value more I'm not buying to sell as I've had enough of the hassle of selling stuff, the last acoustic I had I just gave to a charity shop so was Hong for something equally cheap but OK to play.

I'm not really a fan of acoustic guitar but occasionally like to play some things when I'm sure nobody can hear me. I suppose noisy guitars at this price are going to be the same right?
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2418
    Playability is variable at that price point so the only way is to try as many as possible. Just about every small-town guitar shop seems to stock Tanglewood. It's also worth trying guitars above your budget then, if you like a particular one, look for a used one. Cort guitars are OK but I'm not sure what what sort of price they are.

If your budget can stretch to £200-ish you may well find Tanglewood used guitars that originally sold for around £500, and may have already had a setup. That's how much their prices drop.
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    I have a Tanglewood which sounds amazing for the price. I got mine pretty much half price new as well. Sounds every bit a £500 guitar.

https://s23.postimg.org/5piuuplvf/NGD6.jpg

The one on the left...obviously. 

I can point you to where I got mine from if you like? The shop seems to have come by a load of bankrupt stock.

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9498
    For the record, I have a Loar LH-200 which I bought from Thomann about 4 years ago. I understand they're the same company as Recording King, but going for the Gibson aesthetic rather than the Martin look. Shame they're not widely available in shops over here. I set myself a limit of £200 (because that's what I thought was a step up from the very cheapest) and was pleasantly surprised how good it was. Very well made, the details (binding etc) are faultless, bone nut and saddle. It hasn't needed any work to be extremely playable. I realise that this might be the exception with inexpensive Chinese guitars though - I'd expect a couple of high frets or a badly-cut nut to have to sort out.

One thing about the Gretsch Jim Dandy is that most people who've bought one seem very happy with it. My comment about the pickup was because unless you need it to play live, you're better off spending your money on woods and construction.
    Oh no I wouldn't be seen dead with an acoustic guitar in public, hence definitely no need for electro. Not least because I hate the sound of quacky piezos anyway.

I think maybe this is another little impulse pipe dream that I'll not really follow through from and if I do, I'll regret it and give it away
    edited May 2017
    I shall henceforth be known as Mystic Matt. I seem to have been asked to play at a picnic in the park event locally in July, which I agreed to. And then they've told me "Oh yeah there's no electricity for this tent, it's acoustic only."

Which leaves me in a dilemma as I'm not in possession of an acoustic, if I were to buy one I'd want a small one because I struggle with big bodied guitars, but small acoustics do not carry well with sound do they? I don't believe in buying one specifically for a gig particularly as it's a favour (there's a sad story behind why this chap is organising the acoustic tent!) but as I was thinking of getting something acoustic anyway, thought it might work.

A Gretsch Jim Dandy seems like the best bet for enjoyability on a budget but I looked at one the other day and the new price has shot up! Are there others I could score for around £100 only?

I doubt there is anything  

@Legionreturns where did you get yours? I suspect it's too far away for me to try stuff out though as I'm in Birmingham

Or could a Mandola (lower pitched mandolin) work and carry loud enough to sing along to? As I can play mandolin and their sound appeals much more than acoustic guitar really, and would certainly be different to guitar
    There is a Vintage (manufacturer not age) v400mh available locally for £100, would that be a decent buy? Seems to be mahogany and sounded OK on YouTube, as much as one can tell on there