Does anybody else have this addiction problem

What's Hot
BarneyBarney Frets: 615
I looking out for 335 guitar and already have a load of guitars sitting at home so i have decided it will be one in one out ...

So i have been trying to think which can go and im struggling with the fact of getting rid of any .....even the ones i dont use ....

Does anyone else have this problem.....serious question..

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    I got to the point where if it wasn't being used it was moved on, 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5418
    edited May 2017
    sweepy said:
    Me too, I went through a stage where if I wanted something (& I could afford it) I bought it. Now if I don't play a guitar in a couple of months I get rid. 
    I've gone from about 15 guitars to 3 long term "keepers" and one space for an "I fancy trying that" guitar- which is generally as it sounds, a space for whatever has caught my attention. 
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    yep
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 615
    sweepy said:
    Most of mine are like this but i cant part with them in case i regret it in the future..!
  • sweepy said:
    Same here. At one point I had over a dozen electrics and suddenly, early in 2016, the collection felt more of a burden and I offloaded several that had been in cases for months. Of the 4 that remain, 2 see the most use.

i still get GAS but my self imposed rule is no more than 5 electrics.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    Let's ask HarrySeven. ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    sweepy said:
    Same here. At one point I had over a dozen electrics and suddenly, early in 2016, the collection felt more of a burden and I offloaded several that had been in cases for months. Of the 4 that remain, 2 see the most use.

i still get GAS but my self imposed rule is no more than 5 electrics.
    I have about 21 now and rising....i have a vintage icon guitar i was going to sell a couple of months ago but took it down cos its to nice to sell for the price i would get .. i just got a 2009 nighthawk out of the case the other day after about 4 years in the case the the frets were yellow...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Barney said:
    sweepy said:
    Most of mine are like this but i cant part with them in case i regret it in the future..!
    In all the buying and selling I've done I've only REALLY regretted selling one guitar-
    the Raygun SG Jr I had (there's a picture of it in the "single pickup guitars" thread). I used my extra cash from previous sales to get a Gibson LP Jr instead as it would be "better". It wasn't. 

Long story short, I tracked it down and bought it back. It's going NOWHERE. 
    For any that i have put up for i have made them look unnattractive with shitty pics and description in the hope no one will be intetested...lol 

I did trade a les paul for the mayones i have now ...was really wanting to trade for a 335 ..but the mayones came up so im pleased with that ..but then i seen a jo bo 335 on here so put the mayones up for sale ..really knowing that the 335 would be gone first ...which it did ...so now i dont have to sell the mayones anymore ....i think i am seriously addicted ..!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    It's easy to buy a guitar that upon owning it awhile you just don't gel with it, I've done this numerous times unfortunately 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    Barney said:
    I looking out for 335 guitar and already have a load of guitars sitting at home so i have decided it will be one in one out ...

So i have been trying to think which can go and im struggling with the fact of getting rid of any .....even the ones i dont use ....

335 is a lot of guitars!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    prowla said:
    Barney said:

335 is a lot of guitars!
    Yeah i agree....i need one .....i have a nice Yamaha SA 1100 but need a Gibson i think 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    Barney said:

Yep, gets worse when you start making them .......
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6055
    edited May 2017
    sweepy said:
    It's easy to buy a guitar that upon owning it awhile you just don't gel with it, I've done this numerous times unfortunately 
    I can honestly say that I've not had this. Even guitars that on initial meeting I think, I've made a mistake here, once I've lived with it for a while I come to like it. I don't use Gibson 6 strings which makes things simpler and Fender's are all much of a muchness whether it's a 2k custom shop or an Affinity, ie. they stay in tune, the neck is useable, they intonate (ime).

I slimmed down to one guitar, one bass some time ago and I'm fine with it. If a new guitar arrives, the old one gets sold. I totally get that a professional needs the tools of his/her trade but for anyone else, it's just gas.
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540

Indeed, I have sold most of my 'bought' guitars (recently to fund a new amp purchase), but have made the initial inroads into my third home built electric (there are also 3 acoustic home builds in the 'nearly finished tops' stage). I reckon I have enough wood/pickups to build another 4-5 electrics.... All I need now is a spraybooth. And somewhere to put them all!

I think the only guitar I regret selling was a royal blue PRS Hollowbody in front/rear rippled maple. Stunning sound.

And accepting all the above, am still gassing for another PRS and an Eggle. Irritatingly, Strats are also looming into GAS-land as well....

Adam

• maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3117
    Just totted up our hoard with my missus and it comes to 5 electrics and 5 acoustics.... I said we can't have that it's the law to have more electrics than acoustics and she said "better hurry on up and get that Jem then!"

She's a keeper and anyone got a BSB up for grabs?
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    Just totted up our hoard with my and she said "better hurry on up and get that Jem then!"

Your wife sounds very understanding .. :)
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    Just totted up our hoard with my missus and it comes to 5 electrics and 5 acoustics.... I said we can't have that it's the law to have more electrics than acoustics and she said "better hurry on up and get that Jem then!"

there's one in this thread (not me selling!)  http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/15261/fs-price-drop-cort-nzs-1-gibson-v-prs-sc58-jem-bsb-uv777-ibanez-poplar-burl-s/p1
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    I went for years with just an acoustic and an electric.
    It's only since being on this bloody forum that I started acquiring more guitars just for the hell of it. I really don't need more than two of 'em.
    Pedals are a bit different. I've got a few of those.
    Sassafras said:
    I went for years with just an acoustic and an electric.
    It's only since being on this bloody forum that I started acquiring more guitars just for the hell of it. I really don't need more than two of 'em.
    Pedals are a bit different. I've got a few of those.
    Yeah i was the same until forums came along ....i used to have maybe 2 or 3 electrics which i was happy with and one amp ...now i have 5 amps