Is it wise to leave a job

What's Hot
BarneyBarney Frets: 616
Im getting a bit fed up in what im doing in my job at the moment plus increasing back and front leg pain is getting worse so im thinking of maybe upping my guitar lessons a bit maybe just doing a few days of electrics ..which i am doing full time now 

Financially my house is paid for and i have no other outgoings just bills ..but still worried i wont have enough to live on iff i leave ..and maybe regret leaving ....

I deally i would like to do teaching full time does anybody reccomend doing that or not....just now i would like a better quality of life and something i enjoy doing 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11891
    can you reduce the number of days per week?
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    can you reduce the number of days per week?
    No i dont think so cos they are pushed as they are i think .....that would be the ideal situation and i suppose i could ask 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Sounds like you have a plan.  I wouldn't advise walking out of a job without one.

Your ramp down sounds really sensible - very jealous I don't have that option.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
    Teaching full time nowadays is not a good place to be. Most teachers work well in excess of their contracted hours as marking and class prep is not considered to be work by schools and colleges. Higher and further education are the worst culprits for this. Ofsted makes teacher's lives a red-tape hell and many teachers and lecturers I know are looking to quit or have gone off work with stress.  My wife was employed on a 0.4 FTE contract for the local college yet was actually working in excess of 50 hours of week due to all the assignments she had to mark and class prep required.

If you start as a lecturer at a university, you will need to hit the ground running. My mate who teaches game programming, is the most passionate person ive ever met when it comes to his subject. He is computing PhD and an absolute bottle rocket, but even he was brought to his knees by the sheer workload he was given in his first year.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10404
    How much money do you need is the real question ..... where I live it's not hard to earn a grand a month gigging ... which would be no where near enough money for some people but it's enough for me once it's been supplemented by a bit of money from electronic repairs.

It's such a great life though it feels like one big holiday. Get yourself in a well paid covers band ... ramp up the lessons and do a bit of private work. Your be surprised how little money you need when your enjoying life rather than doing a 9 to 5 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    From experience, whatever money you think you'll need when you stop working, add half again. You'll either need a good cushion of savings or a way of earning some extra cash. 
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    If you have sensible savings, if work is painful and not remotely fulfilling then leaving is absolutely a great idea... 

If you're unsure about dropping out completely then go to your boss/HR and explain you're not happy and that you'd like to leave or drop to three days a week - if they're pushed as you say it might be better to keep you part time than lose you altogether... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    I've just done exactly that. I had a decent job, but it was starting to do my head in, so when a leaving package was offered I took it and left in December. Had a few months off, but now starting to promote the business and have started teaching. I'm in a relatively fortunate financial situation, but regardless of that, it's the best thing I've ever done. So much more relaxed and enjoying life a lot more. I won't be earning the same money, at least not for a good while, and it's going to be hard work, but I haven't regretted it for a moment. If you have the opportunity, do it!  =)
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 291
    Myranda said:
    If you have sensible savings, if work is painful and not remotely fulfilling then leaving is absolutely a great idea... 

If you're unsure about dropping out completely then go to your boss/HR and explain you're not happy and that you'd like to leave or drop to three days a week - if they're pushed as you say it might be better to keep you part time than lose you altogether... 
    I think @Myranda is right, particularly if you say you wish to reduce your hours for health reasons. This leaves your options open if circumstances change. It may also be worth asking if your duties could be changed, even if only for part of the time eg supervising apprentices (who could do the more physically demanding work) and estimating and planning jobs.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    You only live once - don't do something you don't enjoy or affects your health. You know what your finances are like - I did it twice and since 2000 worked for myself. Like you I own my home, have no debt and I earn enough to cover the bills and save. I'm now looking to cut work down and have more time off.

Think about what you could do to earn money - I have a client in his late 70s who makes a tidy living giving guitar and piano  lessons.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    Myranda said:

Yeah this does make sense ...thanks.. i think i will start asking some questions
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    Line up your next job before leaving the current one.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Line up your next job before leaving the current one.
    Normally I'd agree, but not relevant to Barney - he's not looking for another job.

If an option - look into the legal situation of asking for reduced hours before approaching HR.  HR isn't a staff welfare role, it is to protect the company. But do approach HR before Boss - it is their responsibility to ensure due process is followed to the letter.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    Similar situation for me really. Got to a point where I couldn't take anymore of the crap at work but instead of waiting to find another job, however, I went against my better judgement and called it a day. By doing so, though, it has forced me into a position where I have to take action and make things work, that is, making guitar tuition and other projects a comfortable living. It won't be easy but it's doable. It sounds like you can do the same so go for it. @Danny1969 got it spot on I think.