New MIDI guitar system from EastWest

stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7141
I just wrote a piece over at gearnews about a new MIDI guitar system from EastWest and Fishman. Looks interesting and as I have tried all the usual ones in the past, thought I would see if anyone here would find it useful.

My issue has always been patches that didn't translate very well to guitars and so if this new system works, then it could be pretty good. Just not sure if these 'new' patches will of course be any better, but would hope if they are actaully made to work with a guitar. then at least that would be a start!

https://www.gearnews.com/eastwest-midi-guitar-series-hardware-software-harmony/

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    I have been playing this particular game since the Roland GR-300 and up as far as the VG-99.

I agree that many sampled-based instrument sounds do not lend themselves well to guitar control. Firstly, ROMpler sounds lack some of the nuances of real acoustic instruments. Secondly, guitar playing techniques applied to non-guitar instruments expose MIDI Guitar for what it is. (Hammond organs do not do vibrato bridge stunts.)

What invariably does work in this context are fuzzy and/or synthetic sounds. Abstract analogue pads and lead sounds seem believable - possibly because they manage to combine unnatural sonic properties with non-keyboard playing techniques. Suddenly, dive bombing stunts and Jerry Donahue-style multiple string bending licks seem acceptable to the human ear.

Since the East West sample library requires a host sampler, there will still be a discernible triggering delay.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7141
    edited May 2017
    Yes,  you'll need a fast system to get over any major latency issues. Which lends itself to pads and a strings with slower attacks I suppose.

As with anything MIDI triggering is a huge part if the system and for me all the Roland, Yamaha stuff I have tried in the past always had flaws which put me off.

Usually boring sounds or triggering issues. Sometimes both!

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway