DIY Pedal query

Greetings folks,

Since starting this build-a-pedal-at-home malarkey, Ive notched up a few (WH Red Llama, Lovepedal Woodrow, Sparkle Drive, Cave Dweller delay, Ross Phaser (still not quite working), Fairfield Barbershop - all 'working'), and whilst Im damn pleased (and not just a little surprised) that they work, Im not entirely convinced that the sounds I am getting out of them are what I should be hearing. Thing is, my single amp at the moment is a Blackstar ID:TVP 15, which, whilst I really like, I am not sure it is great for pedals.

Any thoughts? Am I asking too much of a lower-end sortof-modelling amp to  be a good pedal platform? Later on this year, my amp will change, so the Blackstar is temporary. However, it is hard knowing what to tweak inside the electronics of the pedal (swapping transistors, JFETs, capacitors, resistor values etc) to improve the sound if it unlikely to sound great through the amp anyway... If you see what I mean.

Cheers,

Adam

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fftcfftc Frets: 559
    The consensus seems to be that modelling amps don't always like pedals. So yes, tweaking effects on a basis of what you get out of a modelling amp might not be the best idea.
    When are you intending on changing your amp and what are you going for?
    If it's being held back due to cost you could pick up something like a Peavey Bandit s/h for £100 or less that would be a nice pedal platform in the meantime. You might even find you like it enough to keep!
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    Thats kindof what I thought - it is mainly OD pedals I have had a go at (surprise, surprise), and they have sounded rather harsh and a little 'clinical'. I am hoping that it is mostly due to the amp being digital.
    The amp I am changing to is a Thornton Dexter - not a very well known amp maker, but a cracking 2 channel/4 'voicings' valve beastie. It seems to do sparkling cleans and a variety of OD/crunch sounds. I cant recommend Andy (the designer/maker) enough - top bloke indeed.
    So, I dont really want to go down the route of buying *another* amp, even one I can get for less than £100. But I understand the reasons for the suggestion.

Cheers,
    Adam
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9610
    Overdrive pedals only come into their own when the clipping mixes with some level boost driving a valve amp imho. You're never going to get the best out of them with a solid-state amp. The exception is the "amp in a box" style drives like the Marshall Guv'nor II. Set your valve amp to a just breaking up sound and then you can have some fun with an overdrive pedal pushing it.