The one guitar project....

What's Hot
JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 392
edited June 2017 in Guitar
After hearing JD Simo talk of one guitar....
Thinking of moving on 3 electrics and buying one as my one and only electric.
Partly £ but also space saving and well... but also to put music/playing first and ditch the gear swap abs searching.
Just need to decide.. .which guitar....

Current thinking is a red 335 or 355.
Had a 335 before and still miss it!!

Anyone else considered this...jon

The sale is on for my three guitars..!!!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    It's crossed my mind, but the one would have to be an absolute stonker, probably something from Jersey Girl.
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4130
    I could happily go down to just my Paul's Guitar... but I won't.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    edited May 2017 tFB Trader
    After years of playing one guitar (usually a different one every 6 months) I'm finally in the position to make most of the models I want. I'm completely anti-one guitar. 

I enjoy a p90, a floyd, a maple neck, a rosewood neck, double cut, single cut...

Could I narrow it down to one guitar? Nope. Never again. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I think one is very limiting, but I'm trying very hard to keep it at three. This way I still get some variety, they will all get play time and I still have the time to up-keep them. Anymore than three and the last two points wouldn't be guaranteed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    edited May 2017
    I'm totally for one guitar, but I think the way to do it is to make your own from scratch (eg not parts). You get an incredible bond - well, I did! Edit: I've been a one guitar player for 17 months now.
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    I've gone down the route of 2 guitars (electric) only. One with humbuckers, one with single coils. I settled on a 335 and strat. I had one guitar for a while (just the 335) but because I had nothing to compare the sound to my ears would sometimes get a little bored of the same tone. The Strat contrasts and compliments the 335 lovely.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    ive thought about it too...but currently i own 3 guitars, which would not sell...and if they did, for much less than i put into them...all three are so tailored to my, ones is a custom build. So fortunately, or unfortunately, i cant go down to 1 guitar.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I dropped down from 3 to 1 and it was hard! It's worth it though, I don't find it tonally limiting, it just means I push the boundaries of one guitar a lot more. I've been really focusing on my core sound and developing that with my playing style rather than just reaching for another guitar. 

One is enough, as long as you can find the right one. I play my own music, not in a pub or function band so I don't need to replicate what anyone else does. For the past month I've just been guitar straight to amp, no pedals or anything and it's the happiest I've been with my playing and tone for a very long time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    I've got 6 electrics but the one I play the most is the Strat, so I could quite happily keep that and get rid of the rest. I only play the others as a sort of rotation system simply 'cos they're there.
    The Strat's the only one I gigged with.
    And I'm too lazy to sell stuff.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited May 2017
    I could do most of what I do quite happily on a Strat and something like a 335 - it's the fact that I also play metal and shred that throws a spanner in the works, because I need stuff that can cope with that as well. So once I have something good with single-coils and something good with humbuckers, then I need something else good with humbuckers, and 24 (or more) frets, that I can use for shreddy stuff. Then I end up wanting a Jazzmaster on top of that, then something with P-90s, hence the LP Junior...

I have tried to thin the herd and diversify what I'm left with, to be fair - I've sold a few guitars that were not doing anything I didn't already have, and am left with six electrics that all sound different and do different things. My Flying V used to just be another humbucker guitar, but now it has Firebird-style minihums in it and gives me another sonic colour to use.

Actually, what am I talking about saying I "could do most of what I do on a Strat and a 335" - that precludes a Telecaster. That would never work. I want an electric 12-string as well...

Let's just say I'm not a one-guitar kind of guy. I think my absolute bare minimum would probably be three electrics. But I don't even want to do that.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3003
    If finances permitted I'd ditch it all and go for two guitars.

A custom order Tyler Studio Elite Hollow HD, 59 neck profile no mid boost Mojo 50's Strat Pickups neck & middle, reverse angle Mojo Broadcaster Tele bridge pickup, Wudtone Constant Pivot trem but with 3 Tele saddles.
    And a Huber Krautster II.

but as that's best part of 10k probs not gonna happen 
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I don't think I could do it, and I wouldn't really want to..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 392
    I am failing in this plan.... two electrics is far enough ..

• CookiemonsterCookiemonster Frets: 883
    edited May 2017
    I have 4. But as far as my band go. They all.like it when I play the strat. So I may as well only have one.  I have two acoustics as well. And two amps. Well three but one need repairs. I think my collection is quite small compared to most

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

Fender Tele, Fender Strat.....these are for keeps!
    Gibson Les Paul.....mmm.....I am really wanting a Gretsch with Filtertrons, but this is not the plan! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited May 2017
    I'm someone who's only started this journey recently, and gone from my starter squire strat, to a pretty much top of the like Epi LP and just added a PRS SE 245 and my lovely Tanglewood Dred. Only been playing since December. Please don't tell me I've been doing it wrong and I should only have one!  

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Nah......you are fine....I just overcooked the goose and need to refocus!
    Also at 50, mountain bike purchase to keep fit needs a cash injection!
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    JonHosker said:
    Nah......you are fine....I just overcooked the goose and need to refocus!
    Also at 50, mountain bike purchase to keep fit needs a cash injection!
    I've got more bikes than guitars... Just... Give it time! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    I'm someone who's only started this journey recently, and gone from my starter squire strat, to a pretty much top of the like Epi LP and just added a PRS SE 245 and my lovely Tanglewood Dred. Only been playing since December. Please don't tell me I've been doing it wrong and I should only have one!  

Lol - you've been doing it wrong, you should have more! (As long as you have reasons anyway.)
    Wehey.....!!!!