Slide players: What compressor?

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
What compressor would you slide guys recommend. I'm trying to get plenty of sustain thar will work with a touch of dirt ala Marc Ford.
I was considering the new Boss CP-1x as being multiband it's​ supposed to balance out the frequencies, but should l be looking for a more aggressive compressor?

Any recommendations?
(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    edited May 2017
    Boss CS-2 is my favourite for slide - it's thick, smooth and has, IMO, perfect attack. Downside is they're quite expensive these days given how battered most of them are. Failing that, Ross comp styles are good.

I'm generally suspicious of multiband compressors between the phase artifacts they introduce at the edges of each band, and the way you then have to decide yourself (or, in the case of the Boss one, Boss decides for you) what the overall spectral balance in your tone is when it was probably fine anyway.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2427
    edited May 2017

The Origin Effects Slide Rig and Cali76 have been the yardstick for slide guitar compressors for years. Excellent but costly. I used a Dod FX80B for a long time and that was great for slide. Last couple of years a Wampler Ego for its blend control (full version, not the mini). Again, great with just a little added dirt - from a Tumnus in my case.

I think most compressors would suit if they are set up correctly, which means more than a couple of controls IMO.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11893
    multiband compressors are excellent
    Cali76 range is the best non-multiband I have tried
  • I heard a great slide player at the folk festival last year, had a bit of dirt on - his chain was just guitar - boss cs3 - catalinbred dirty little secret - super hard on - fender tweed 4x10 amp (I think it was a tweed hot rod deville) amp. 

Sounded great, really classic slide guitar tone. The super hard on was being used as a loud-box for solos. 

He mostly played cleanish, the dirty little secret was for crunch tones when he wasn't playing slide but the amp was a little bit overdriven. Sounded absolutely classic blues, I was really impressed - especially as I hadn't particularly liked the dirty little secret I had tried. 
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
    Thanks guys, some good recommendations coming out here.
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
    The Sliderig has no equal. I've had the cali, koji, Xotic, Carl Martin, diamond. It's just phenomenal 

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    None at all. Just a 1965 Gibson Melody Maker and shed loads of gain. :)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1464
    Got to be a Slide Rig!
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    Bearfoot Evergreen would be a good choice, lots of sustain and gain available. There's one on eBay atm.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
    Got to be a Slide Rig!
    Agreed but those prices are waaay to rich for my purse.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Image result for melos co-100 mini comp

I've got one of these under the Melos brand and it's great for slide because you still get a sharp attack as well as lots of sustain. It's become my favourite compressor. Probably not easy to  come by though but cheap when you do.
    It's also got a handy diagram indicating where you should place your foot to activate the compression. You'll never forget how to use it. :)
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3494
    I use a DOD 280.

Works well for slide and fingerpicking.