Sorted: Speakon Wiring for Series Link...is a bad idea!

bennyg85bennyg85 Frets: 64
edited May 2017 in Making & Modding
Hi

I've been scratching my head for a couple of days about this and I'm hoping someone smarter than me can give me some advice!

I have a pair of 4 ohm Peavey subwoofers that I'd like to link together in series to run at 8 ohms. Both subwoofers have two speakon connectors (Neutrik NL4MP) and I'd like to use one as the input and the other as the link to daisy chain them together.

Can someone tell me how these should be wired internally to give the desired impedance when linked together please? Currently the speaker and cabling is wired to use 1+ and 1-

Many thanks in advance to anyone that can offer help.

Ben
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bennyg85bennyg85 Frets: 64
    Please ignore this - it has been made aware to me that running PA speakers in series is a bad idea because of damping!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    If the amp won't handle a 2-ohm load, just use one cabinet. Sub bass is omnidirectional so it will still fill the room perfectly well - in fact, using two cabs can sometimes cause phase cancellation issues anyway.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein