Tonepros locking bridge......help!

What's Hot
surfguy13surfguy13 Frets: 133
I have what I believe to be a Tonepros lockiung bridge and stop tail on my Jack Briggs Saturn.  Never touched the bridge as the set up on the guitar has been perfect for my needs but just want to tweak the action and assumed all I needed to do was to loosen/remove the grub screws loacted at the rear of the bridge and then turn the wheels to lower the bridge.  However, even when I fully removed the grub screws the wheels seem to be locked solid.  Certainly can't turn them by hand as you would normally do with a tunamatic bridge.  Any ideas?  Could it just be that they're really stiff having not been used for years or am I missing something?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    Are your strings still under tension?

Some locking bridge designs incorporate a locking top to the posts.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1218
    tFB Trader
    You probably ought to de-tune the strings a bit to take some pressure off, also check that they're not at the bottom of their range so you can't lower them any more.
  • surfguy13surfguy13 Frets: 133
    Thanks so much guys, never thought of de-tensioning the strings, I bet that's it!!  I really appreciate the advice @StormshadowGuitars and @Funkfingers   I will get on the case tonight and try it out.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7027
    tFB Trader
    If the setup has been perfect up until recently then don't touch the bridge as it won't have moved. 

If something has changed then it's most likely the neck relief and you need to tweak the truss rod slightly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    If the setup has been perfect up until recently then don't touch the bridge as it won't have moved. 

If something has changed then it's most likely the neck relief and you need to tweak the truss rod slightly.
    Hi Steve

Many thanks for that.  I did check neck relief and it as near perfect as you can get so decided to just tweak the bridge down a fraction.  Essentially it's a LP body style with two humbuckers but it has a 25" scale so feels quite tight relative to a LP.  I really just wanted to try bringing the strings down a touch to see how it felt as the action is far from rock bottom, plenty of air between the strings and the frets.

Cheers

Guy
    De-tensioned the strings and.......worked perfectly!!  :)  Thanks guys........