It shouldn't bug me but it does

What's Hot
FosterFoster Frets: 1100
I left old job a month ago, did my best to part on good terms by giving a lot of notice and ensured I tied up as many loose ends as I could, which involved training people to do parts of my job.

The guy who took over my role is a good friend of mine, he's not the sharpest tool in the shed and his handwriting looks like he's made a quill out of his big toe - but his heart's in the right place.

In rough, for my old job I did (and could do) a lot of lab testing, calibrate all the equipment, repair equipment, calculate results, check work and authorise it as ok (which means checking results against each other and to specs), build spreadsheets (a purchase order system, all the calculation sheets, vehicle MOT and services checkers that email people, etc), train and audit people, blah blah blah. Was also a Fire Marshall (which involved creating floorplans of the buildings with locations of fire extinguishers, smoke alarms, etc) and First Aider. Quite a fair bit.

My mate can do Lab tests and check results - neither at the speed and efficiency that I used to though.

He's a goodun, and good on him because after doing part of my job for a month they've given him a pay increase!

He's currently on more money than I was...

I was having doubts about the new place as I'm finding it a steep learning curve and i'm annoyed at myself for not being better than I am, the good thing was that I was told by my manager and the owners that I could always have my job back if I wanted it. I'm now of the opinion that if things don't work out (which I really hope they do) I'd rather be unemployed than go back to a company that treated me like shit for so long.

I know I shouldn't be bothered at all about it, but it really annoys me that people view me as worthless - this has only further entrenched that view given how they'd happily pay someone more who does less. Grr!!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12362
    Don't blame you for being pissed off, sounds like they've not treated you very well, especially on the pay front. 
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    It's always a kick in the nuts when someone gets paid more for less, good friend or not.

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    On the other hand, you're away from the company that treated you like dirt.
    And, you are 1 month into a new job, you are still learning the job.
    There's a saying in my line of work, it takes 6 months to get to know a new franchise, and 12 to know it well. This is very true, it's always taken me 6-12 months to be completely confident with new systems and procedures.
    Assuming your job hasn't actually changed (IE same description of what you actually do) and you're learning new procedures/systems then allow yourself 6 months to get confident and happy with what you're doing.

-Probably badly worded-

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    What someone earns is the business of a) themselves and b) their employer.

Good on your mate if he's getting paid well. It's nothing to do with you.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FosterFoster Frets: 1100
    I'm happy for my mate, he'll be earning more money than he used to. Means he can spoil me when I take him camping next.

As regards new job, It's a completely different game than what I'm used to. I now wear smart clothes, have business cards and have to meet people and talk about limestone. Having worked in the soil testing game for nearly 4 years gives me a slight advantage but I still don't like being shit at my job (or anything in life for that matter), if someone else can do it there's no reason why I can't do it too.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2760
    Wow - what do you get to talk about re: limestone? Some of it is hard , some of it is soft, and some of it fizzes if you pee on it ? :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FosterFoster Frets: 1100
    sev112 said:
    Wow - what do you get to talk about re: limestone? Some of it is hard , some of it is soft, and some of it fizzes if you pee on it ? :)
    Typically moaning farmers who complain that the crusher run we supply has too many fines and that it's unsuitable for drainage.

This is after you've told them that they shouldn't buy crusher run for those reasons and should get the 20mm or 40mm washed as it's a far better product for that purpose - they don't as it costs more.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Foster said:
    I'm happy for my mate, he'll be earning more money than he used to. Means he can spoil me when I take him camping next.

As regards new job, It's a completely different game than what I'm used to. I now wear smart clothes, have business cards and have to meet people and talk about limestone. Having worked in the soil testing game for nearly 4 years gives me a slight advantage but I still don't like being shit at my job (or anything in life for that matter), if someone else can do it there's no reason why I can't do it too.
    Give it 6 months to learn the job. If after that time you're struggling (I'll bet you aren't) then reassess your position.
    Given that it's a completely new job then you have nothing to worry about.

I changed my job about 18 months ago, and it took me roughly 6 months to get confident in what I do and 12 to be completely happy with what I do. And that's without learning a whole new job.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    It's pretty normal. Most people don't seem to get the respect they deserve for the job they are in if you ask me. I have seen this scenario at least 3 times at work in the past few years (it's a big organisation) - highly experienced person leaves their job, but their highly experienced no 2 doesn't get offered the promotion. Highly experienced no 2 has a huff and gets a new job and the organisation has lost all experience in that area. It's just happened again this week, lovely girl that I know has got herself another job as they didn't bother promoting her. Utterly mad.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    The new company thought you were the best person for that job, you'll be able to do it. It's only been a month, be kind to yourself
    My V key is broken
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    mike_l said:
    Foster said:

Give it 6 months to learn the job. If after that time you're struggling (I'll bet you aren't) then reassess your position.
    Given that it's a completely new job then you have nothing to worry about.

I changed my job about 18 months ago, and it took me roughly 6 months to get confident in what I do and 12 to be completely happy with what I do. And that's without learning a whole new job.
    Being good or experienced at a job does not mean you are suitable for a step up. Especially if that step up is a management position.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    My advice is don't go back; I've done it a couple of times and it hasn't worked out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26973
    The 4-6 week window in a new job is always the bit where you go "shit, what am I doing?". You've been there long enough that people don't treat you completely like the "new guy" but it won't feel normal yet.

As for learning curves, that's a good thing - it means you're learning and getting better at it. So keep doing that for at least 3 months, then get to 6 months. Everything will be fine. And be happy for your mate :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    I take some comfort from the fact that all the companies I worked for in past have gone tits up at some point and all the arseholes contained therein are out on their earoles.. some with debt where they were encouraged to buy-in with a stake.

Some lost their homes/marriages - even betterer!

Any Swindon Town fans here?? If so when I mention Michael Diamandis you will know what I mean...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>