Considering first pedal build

What's Hot
colourofsoundcolourofsound Frets: 395
edited May 2017 in Making & Modding
I'm looking for a new hobby to make my mind a little more active, and being an effects enthusiast, building pedals seems like a good idea.

I'd like to build something I'd actually use; so the first thing I'm looking at is an ABY switcher for use with my '68 CDR.

This is what I'm looking at: http://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/ABY_Switch_+_K-Buffer/p847124_12508570.aspx

I'm assuming this is suitable? The instruction leaflet mentions ground hum though when using it with two amps; and that maybe in its future. Is there a way to remedy this?

If this goes well, I'd be looking at building a tremolo next

Also, I have a soldering iron and solder, but that's about it. What should other things should I get make my life easier? Will the stock nib(?) on my soldering iron be good enough?

Apologies if these questions have been asked previously.

EDIT: After pricing this up this is one of the few situations where building is more expensive than buying a normal pedal! So i'm going to build a ColourSound Trem instead...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28099

I'm assuming this is suitable? The instruction leaflet mentions ground hum though when using it with two amps; and that maybe in its future. Is there a way to remedy this?

Yeah, either build in an isolation transformer or bung one or both outputs through a Behringer HD400.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • colourofsoundcolourofsound Frets: 395
    @Sporky Okidoke...no idea how to do that! Would like to keep it all in the box if possible. Will ground hum be a problem when using it with just one amp? Sorry to be such a n00b here....but this is brand new to me
    No problem with just one amp, but then why have the ABY?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @Sporky It's a Custom Deluxe Reverb; you can play both channels at the same time or have different tones on each channel.
    Ah! Gotcha.

You'll be fine doing that without isolation.

Otherwise you'd just need to add a teeny transformer between one of the outputs of the board and the corresponding jack socket. And make sure the jack socket doesn't short to the enclosure. Or you might be able to fit the Behringer PCB inside the ABY enclosure, not sure on that.
    @Sporky okidoke, cheers :)
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540

I started building pedals a couple of months ago, so can offer a little advice - at least about how to start up.

If you are planning more than a couple of pedals, then a decent soldering iron station (one with an adjustable temp control - Maplin have a 48w model that I have used) will make your life a lot easier. A digital multimeter is, I think, essential - for checking component values, checking for continuity of tracks/solder, fault finding when the pedal doesn't work. Other useful/essential items include good pliers/snips (check out Piergiacomi on ebay - not the cheapest, but you wont regret it), a good worklight, a means of removing solder to fix errors (copper braid or desoldering gun), As for components - most of mine have been bought from eBay (Bitsbox.co.uk for pots) and the Chinese suppliers have so far been perfectly OK (and a lot cheaper). Packs of differing value components (resistors, capacitors - electrolytic and non-polarised, LED's, wire of multiple colours) are useful and often a much cheaper way of buying. Transistors/IC's I bought as necessary. The most expensive part has been the enclosures and common bits like jack sockets, power sockets, stompswitches, For a reasonable initial outlay of various bits n bobs, you can then build up clones of £200+ pedals for much less than a tenth.

There are various websites/fora dedicated to DIY pedal building, but I have found tagboardeffects to be the most useful - A phenomenal number of veroboard layouts for just about any pedal out there, and extremely helpful contributors.

Unless going from a kit of parts (I went straight to veroboard), I'm not sure that I would recommend a tremolo pedal as a first effort - not the smallest of circuits normally and they can be a bit temperamental to get working (going by others' comments). Having said that, I completed a Tremulus Lune (google is your friend) 5-Knob t'other night and against all odds, it worked first time.

The first two pedals I built were a Way Huge Red Llama (surprisingly small circuit for such an immense sound), and a Lovepedal Woodrow with added volume control. Both OD pedals, both straightforward, both a good sound to cut your teeth with.

I've also built a delay, a couple more OD's and a failed (so far) phaser. Imminent plans - a vibrato unit, more (!) OD/distortion and a chorus.

Good luck,
    Adam

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom