WGS Speakers?

AlexHunterAlexHunter Frets: 422
Has anyone tried WGS speakers?

I need to replace one of the speakers in my Pro Reverb and was looking at the WGS 12C Vintage and 12C/s as potential options.

Anyone got any experience of them?

Supplementary questions:
1) Looking for big fat smooth cleans, not take your head off bite or mushy bass and don't want to pay for an EV12ML.
2) I'm assuming it will have to be an 8ohm speaker I get?
3) Am I better off buying two and replacing both Oxfords in the Fender?
4) Would one 12C and one 12C/s work well together to balance the sound out?
I already have Celestion G12H30s in one cab, Eminence Red Fang Alnicos in another, V30s in another and a couple of old Carvin Celestion copies in some other cabs. I think they're all more suietd to driven sounds though rather than big fat Fender clean.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I have an ET65 in my Carr Sportsman (Princeton a lIke) and I'm very happy with it. Absolutely cracking value for money.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2348
    I have a couple of ET65s, too. Seem pretty nice- I wouldn't say they're my favourite speakers ever, though. Not that there's anything particularly wrong with them (plus I don't want to read too much into it because they're the only G12-65-style speakers I've tried, I may well not like the Celestion version any more), just I have other speakers I prefer I think.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13567
    I considered one couple of years back over a Celestion,  their V30 "copy"  sounded just the ticket for me......but the only place to get them was USA or Germany, and with mark up -it simply wasnt worth it  - 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    edited February 2014
    ^ Yeah for a while they had no UK dealers. Lean Business does them now for £60-£65 a pop for most ceramic models. The Eminence legends are a bit cheaper than that (more like £45-£50) but they have nowhere near the range of models that WGS does, so if you want something a bit more obscure WGS is probably the best value. It's hard to beat the Eminence Legends in terms of value, though, if one of them suits what you want (and assuming you like Eminences, because I know some people don't).
  • I like the idea of WGS, and the pricing and I'm sure they're great.

But Tayden speakers are made in the UK and are priced very well, so that would be my first stop. 

I may, one day, replace the speaker in my bandit (only if necessary though) and if it came to it, I suspect I'd need an eminence, who do plenty of really high powered options.
  • I have an ET-65 and an Invader and I'm very happy with them. Lean business are excellent too.

Drop WGS an email with the questions regarding tone you have asked above - they were a great help to me when looking for a specific sound. They certainly know their stuff :)

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

• I have an ET-65 and an Invader and I'm very happy with them. Lean business are excellent too.

Drop WGS an email with the questions regarding tone you have asked above - they were a great help to me when looking for a specific sound. They certainly know their stuff :)
    Except they told me that I could use a speaker rated for less than 80 watts with my Bandit at the usual 8ohm impedance.  

They said solid state watts are quieter - I was advised on here that it's less to do with volume and more about sheer power.  But yes, they were generally helpful otherwise.
  • longilongi Frets: 95
    I use a Retro 30 and I loves it! I much prefer to the Celestion Vintage 30 as it's a fair bit mellower in the upper mids.It is much better balanced IMO. I think it's a superb speaker. My amp is an MJW Orion and has the Fender Blackface preamp as the clean channel, I thinks it's an excellent match.
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 357
    I have the ET 65, it replaced a green g12 25m and i like it's open and sweet top end. it's really nice with a naturally middy or gritty amp

I like the idea of WGS, and the pricing and I'm sure they're great.

But Tayden speakers are made in the UK and are priced very well, so that would be my first stop.
    Same here, but most Taydens apart from the True Brit are a bit more money than the WGSes, and also they have a smaller range. Tayden doesn't (as far as I'm aware) do a G12-65-style speaker, for example. Also they can sometimes be more awkward to get, IIRC I had to wait several weeks for my Taydens to come back into stock. They also, IIRC, didn't answer my email when I emailed asking for speaker advice- in the end I took a chance and I'm glad I did because I really like them, but they could easily have lost a sale because of that, too.
    longi said:
    I use a Retro 30 and I loves it! I much prefer to the Celestion Vintage 30 as it's a fair bit mellower in the upper mids.It is much better balanced IMO. I think it's a superb speaker. My amp is an MJW Orion and has the Fender Blackface preamp as the clean channel, I thinks it's an excellent match.
    did you try/consider the veteran 30 ?  -  thats the one I was looking at.........just wondered how the retro/vetran stacked up
  • Got two retro 30's in my custom cab that's in my profile pic, excellent speakers you can't go wrong coupled up with a fender amp!
    edited February 2014
    bertie said:
    longi said:
    did you try/consider the veteran 30 ?  -  thats the one I was looking at.........just wondered how the retro/vetran stacked up
    I haven't tried either, but from what I hear the veteran 30 is like the "improved" vintage 30, whereas the retro 30 is more of a straight clone. I'm guessing it doesn't sound identical but presumably is closer.

Obviously try to corroborate that hearsay with someone who's actually tried both :))
  • I've ordered a 12C, will see what it's like and then either order another of those or a 12c/s to go with it
  • strat84strat84 Frets: 314
    Yep.. Great speakers.. I have a pair o G10c's and a G12C/s.. Tried the G12C/s in a Deluxe Reverb, Bassman and a Bandmaster Reverb which I believe is very similar to the Pro Reverb circuit.. It actually sounded the best to me in the BMR.. Really nice round, fat clean, not to bright and takes OD pedals well.. I think the G12C/Cs would be great in a Pro!
    edited February 2014
    Dave_Mc said:
    , but from what I hear the veteran 30 is like the "improved" vintage 30, whereas the retro 30 is more of a straight clone. I'm guessing it doesn't sound identical but presumably is closer.

Obviously try to corroborate that hearsay with someone who's actually tried both :))
    yeah hence my Q.  the WGS blurb says the Veteran is a V30 with smoothed out upper mid, and the Retro is a  brighter version ofthe Veteran
    The youtube soundclip for the Retro on the Lean Business website is next to useless its jsut some twat, with a gained to the max amp and doing the usuall widdly wank

edited February 2014
    :))

EDIT: that clip had pretty epic playing. whether it's any use to help you decide how the speaker sounds is another thing, though. bit like going into a guitar shop and letting rip instead of actually testing the kit.
  • MistyMisty Frets: 135
    edited February 2014
    I've found the guy at lean Business very helpful on the phone if you can get him when he has the time. I'm not sure he's a guitar player though, he once suggested to me to listen to the clips on Youtube, and I said they were no help to me as they were too far removed from the tone I would use and want to hear. Tactful eh?

I'd definitely buy from them again though.