Could you make a pedal without solder?

What's Hot
Just a hypothetical question but, I think, one of the off putting things about DIY pedals is having to solder if you have no experience of it. There are hobby type electronic kits you can buy where you are basically stripping wires and screwing things together using solderless connectors so why not something like a basic solderless fuzz pedal kit? A great Christmas gift for the cack handed guitarist in your life. 
Or is it just not possible or would it have to be the size of a bus? 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28138
    Wire wrap is probably more plausible. Or breadboard if you're not going to shake it around a lot.

But soldering is a useful skill, and not a terribly difficult one to pick up.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Soldering isn't all that hard after a bit of practice and it is well worth learning. Get a decent temperature controlled iron and things will be a lot easier than using a cheap £5 iron - believe me. Ironically i had to solder my soldering iron yesterday. 

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Sporky said:
    Wire wrap is probably more plausible. Or breadboard if you're not going to shake it around a lot.

But soldering is a useful skill, and not a terribly difficult one to pick up.
    I realise if someone had an interest in DIY pedals then learning to solder would be the way to go. Just that you can buy little kits to make things like simple amplifiers that require no soldering (although I suppose it's really more assembly than making in the end) and I wondered if that kind of thing was even possible with pedals. Might be my idea for Dragon's Den...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9610
    You need to work out a boutique angle to this. No pesky solder in the signal chain allows the pure tone of your guitar to come out. Or something
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7847
    Solderless usually means unreliable.   Remember the fad for solderless guitar cables in the late 80's?  Didn't work out well, fad didn't last long. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    You could probably make something really simple like a single-transistor booster or an Electra Distortion copy using 'chocolate block' screw terminal strip. Once you get up above about a dozen components that's going to get prohibitively complex to make work though.

Even at that you're probably going to have to solder to the jacks and/or the pots though, unless you can find PCB-mount types which have exactly the right pin spacing to fit into the strips.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GassageGassage Frets: 30888
     Vertex tried this for a number of years before they were found out.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 990
    I used to use wire wrapping for ths prototype equipment in tracked vehicles very reliable and resistant to vibration if done correctly.  No heat treatment of the copper by soldering was a significant part of the benefit.  It does, of course have a skill to learn in its own right.
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    Just a hypothetical question but, I think, one of the off putting things about DIY pedals is having to solder if you have no experience of it. There are hobby type electronic kits you can buy where you are basically stripping wires and screwing things together using solderless connectors so why not something like a basic solderless fuzz pedal kit? A great Christmas gift for the cack handed guitarist in your life. 
    Or is it just not possible or would it have to be the size of a bus? 
    I would say go for the breadboard, as Sporky said.  A plastic board, you push component wires into sprung contacts.  One will cost you a fiver or a tenner I guess.  These things aren't as reliable as real boards though - components can work loose or get dirty connections so your circuit wont be road-ready.  But they are excellent for learning electronics at home.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    Gassage said:
     Vertex tried this for a number of years before they were found out.
    Devi Ever used to do it by just twisting the wires together and wrapping the whole lot in tape...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom