Boss MS-3 Multi-Effects Loop Switcher just announced...

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    mattdavis said:
    Ps am I right in understanding this digital dry through malarkey. Does it mean that even without pedals selected the signal goes through Ad/da converters? That could be a bit of an issue for me as I have often found that sterilises the tone a bit. Hmmm.....
    why would they do that? Is it much cheaper than keeping an analogue path and then mixing them? 
    No, usually the bypass is still analogue. What it means is that when the pedal is on, the dry part of the signal - eg the normal unaffected notes in a delay, as opposed to the repeats themselves - are digitised. They probably do it because the mixing becomes easier, and because in some cases the dry part is altered too, eg when simulating a real tape delay which might add 'something' to the dry sound as well.

The reason it's bad is that the A/D/A processing inevitably causes a small amount of latency, which in a parallel loop then blends with the unprocessed dry signal and causes a tone-sucking notch filter effect. So if you've got such a pedal you need a series (or 100% effect mix) loop. The problem with some amps, including many Laneys and Mesas, is that the mix can't be set to 100% effect.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 840
     Cheers @ICBM ; I think you once explained to me the reason I found the dd3 warmer and less sterile than the dd7 was probably because the DD3's dry signal remains analogue - I suspect I'll have the same issue with this then. Still looks like an awesome piece of kit though. 
  • longilongi Frets: 95
    £399 from Anderton's. Having trouble copying the link though. 
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Price is pretty decent I think. This will sell some units. I'm having trouble reasoning with myself as to why I don't need one !
  • Marktigere1Marktigere1 Frets: 101
    I was waiting for a new GT but this looks as though it will be even better for my application with the three loops. :)
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    Wow that is tiny, two drives & a fuzz in the loop and you're set for most things.
  • Drew_TNBD said:
    I think it's a very cool product. It's not quite for me I don't think, but I can definitely see how you'd build a rig around this thing.

90% of pub gigging and wedding function bands would probably be more than happy with this and a couple of their favourite analogue drives. 

Pity it doesn't have the newer DA-2, DS1X etc onboard. That'd leave the loops free. But meh, it's not amazingly expensive, it's small, probably built well and offers more than enough flexibility for most folks. Boss has a winner, here. 
  • Drew_TNBD said:
    To give it some context... the MS3 is bottom left...

Whoa, that is small. 

I assumed it would be a bit bigger. Definitely a winner. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    I'm trying so hard not to design a second board around this, thing is it'll probably end up being almost as much money Helix LT - which can do so much more, but this somehow has inspired me more.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Drew_TNBD said:
    I think it's a very cool product. It's not quite for me I don't think, but I can definitely see how you'd build a rig around this thing.

90% of pub gigging and wedding function bands would probably be more than happy with this and a couple of their favourite analogue drives. 

Pity it doesn't have the newer DA-2, DS1X etc onboard. That'd leave the loops free. But meh, it's not amazingly expensive, it's small, probably built well and offers more than enough flexibility for most folks. Boss has a winner, here. 
    It's odd because the GT-100 does have the DA-2 and the firmware that added it added the Overtone and Terra Echo which the ms-3 has. 
  • Drew_TNBD said:

It's odd because the GT-100 does have the DA-2 and the firmware that added it added the Overtone and Terra Echo which the ms-3 has. 
    Don't forget - USB is on this unit. Theres plenty of scope for new algos
  • DungusDungus Frets: 170
    Putting together a new, smaller board, so just ordered one of these for a laugh.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    Thanks was about to order another disaster Area device but I think I might have to rethink after reading more about this :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • Dungus said:
    Putting together a new, smaller board, so just ordered one of these for a laugh.
    I'll buy it off you when you sell it on ;)
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    The display screen looks a bit small and a bit old fashioned, maybe I expect to much.

Looks like you can't change the order of the effects ( goes something like block of drive based effects, modulations, loops, delays, reverbs - although that's from memory of a clip seen two days ago...) at least if you create a patch on the M3 itself, possibly you can if using the library? 

What seems funny is that every (Boss approved) video seems to have drive and fuzz pedals in the loops as if Boss are saying 'yeh we know our modelled drives are terrible.' I guess it's not meant to say that maybe more 'drives tend to be much more of a matter of personal taste than other types of effects' but maybe it could be seen as 'our modelled drives are terrible.'
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    edited June 2017
    The display screen looks a bit small and a bit old fashioned, maybe I expect to much.

Looks like you can't change the order of the effects ( goes something like block of drive based effects, modulations, loops, delays, reverbs - although that's from memory of a clip seen two days ago...) at least if you create a patch on the M3 itself, possibly you can if using the library? 

What seems funny is that every (Boss approved) video seems to have drive and fuzz pedals in the loops as if Boss are saying 'yeh we know our modelled drives are terrible.' I guess it's not meant to say that maybe more 'drives tend to be much more of a matter of personal taste than other types of effects' but maybe it could be seen as 'our modelled drives are terrible.'
    The display and the way it operates is same old GT100 / GT001 / GT1 - they are certainly getting their mileage out of this interaction! I can't help think it's a little overpriced. The GT1 is about £170 and has all the "gubbins" (plus amp modelling) of the MS-3 apart from the loops / midi and better switching. More than double the price seems a bit steep.

You can move the fx groups around but the 3 loops remain in a static position and all together (I.e. you can't place fx groups between them).

Edit: actually the GT100 has two bigger and better screens and is £50 less reinforcing that this seems like pretty poor value.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    dindude said:

The display and the way it operates is same old GT100 / GT001 / GT1 - they are certainly getting their mileage out of this interaction! I can't help think it's a little overpriced. The GT1 is about £170 and has all the "gubbins" (plus amp modelling) of the MS-3 apart from the loops / midi and better switching. More than double the price seems a bit steep.

You can move the fx groups around but the 3 loops remain in a static position and all together (I.e. you can't place fx groups between them).

Edit: actually the GT100 has two bigger and better screens and is £50 less reinforcing that this seems like pretty poor value.
    Ahh. Seems a pity about it not being able to move the loops, probably a non issue 99% of the time but it's the kind of thing that's fun to experiment with even if you end up with them back where they were. 

Yeh, as I see it there's no new modelling here just a repackaging of existing technology. Very smartly done in terms of making a product aimed a huge range of guitarists, bassists and beyond but nonetheless there are no new sounds (or even Boss' latest sounds from the DD500 or RV6). 
    I think we've seen the odd Roland/Boss product come down in price after the initial launch and as I haven't got £400 burning a hole in my pocket I guess it's wait and see. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    edited June 2017
    Being very buffer conscious nowadays I wonder if it uses any in it's loops ? Not  being able to move loops isn't a massive thing for me as one could easily physically move them i.e. they're only three of them
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • Marktigere1Marktigere1 Frets: 101
    Block diagram in the manual shows a Buffer before and after the three loops.
  • PhilMPhilM Frets: 278
    I'm tempted to preorder one as it might help me reduce the size of my current board, which consists of 3 analogue drive pedals before the amp and a GT100 in the amp's effect loop. I've tried to keep it within a 688 x 296 case but - while quite neat - is a little too compact for my size 9s at times. I'd need something 800 x 300 to improve on the situation. I had been thinking about going for a DD500 to handle the delays (all that I really programme per song these days) and individual pedals for the rest, maybe a loop switcher too. However, at £130 more than the DD500, the MS3 might do the job perfectly.