is it bad form if....

What's Hot
paulphoenixpaulphoenix Frets: 141
edited June 2017 in Amps
.....i were to offer for sale or sell an amp that was given to me as a birthday present (from my mother)? 

For my 40th she bought me an Ibanez TSA15 combo with footswitch. 

It's recently had all new glass bottles throughout and a speaker upgrade but, it was relegated to 2nd back up a few months ago and then further relegated upon the arrival of a new amp that i got for my birthday this year (42).

i now have 4 amps and i really only need 2(?). i am also over my allocated storage space at home so two amps live semi permanently in my office at work...

at least 1 has to go... but could i/should i sell the ibanez?.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24195
    Of course not.

It's yours now. You can burn it if you want.
    4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 879
    When my wife's grandad died he left me and my brother-in-law some money and wrote a letter saying to invest it in my future.  I went straight out and bought a Canon EOS 750D camera. It has been a joy to use and I often think about him.  It has allowed me too achieve exactly what I think he intended.  His gift was his intention, it wasn't the object that his intention became.

So now after a few years have passed I feel it's time to upgrade to a better camera.  Should I keep the 750D and buy a second camera or should I part exchange it?  I feel certain had he been alive he would have thought part exchanging would be the best way of furthering my ambitions.

If you're lucky enough to be able to ask your mum for her opinion - do so - explain the logic behind what you want to do.  I feel sure she would understand.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    You heartless, insensitive, cold blooded bastard.
    You don't deserve a mother like that.

Was that the sort of advice you were looking for?
     :) 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    The only thing I can't sell, is the explorer my daughter bought me. I've sold plenty of other stuff with sentimental attachment to my mum, my best friend and whoever else.. It honestly wouldn't be worth the grief, if I sold the explorer. If you knew my daughter, you'd understand! Don't need it? Don't have a good , practical reason for keeping it? Sell!

so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    If it was me it would be a treasured possession, but we have different circumstances :)

If you're looking to put the cash into a different more useful amp she'll understand, otherwise no :) 
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    Personally I'd keep it! but it's entirely your choice!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26923
    I've always found it hard to get rid of anything that was a gift, but honestly it's daft. Keep things you love, ditch anything you don't, and use the cash to get more stuff you like if that makes you feel better about it. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    I don't think it's bad form but I'd suggest you think very carefully.      I once sold a guitar my dad gave me - didn't seem an issue at the time and he definitely wasn't bothered.    But 10 years after he passed away I so wish I still had it.   Daft but there are memories attached to that guitar and it would be nice to play and think about him.    If you don't need the cash for it and can find the space to store then I'd keep it.   
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    If it makes you feel better you could give it to me and no-one would think you were a rapacious, money grubbing ingrate.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    You only have 4 amps. I don't understand. 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Wife still gives me lip for selling the kemper she bought me.
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Drew_TNBD said:
    You got a Kemper AND oral?
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    I find it hard to get emotionally attached to gear. It's just a means to an end. I've sold quite a few amps and pedals I've been given over the years.

But I do have a black paisley sambora strat that my parents gave me for my 18th. I don't think I could ever bring myself to sell that. As posted above, right now it wouldn't matter but they are old now and one day won't be here...

Besides, guitars look nice hanging on the wall. Not so sure that is true of amps :;

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
    edited June 2017
    I've had similar dilemmas in the past - my dad has bought me 2 nice bits of gear, an SG for my 21st and a Laney GH for my 18th. A guitar is more personal imo and I dont think I'll sell that but I've been thinking of shifting the amp for a while now. I've had it for just over 10 years so it just feels like part of the furniture now, but then I think why not have something more usable for my current situation - 50w valve is just too much for anywhere at the minute! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Seems a shame with it being a nice gift. 

But honestly, if we kept every gift we ever got we wouldn't be able to move for stuff 
  • joeyowen said:
    Seems a shame with it being a nice gift. 

But honestly, if we kept every gift we ever got we wouldn't be able to move for stuff 

Speak for yourself, Mr popular. ;)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Ha! That's meee 
    Drew_TNBD said:
    At least you didn't sell the baby.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Sassafras said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    At least you didn't sell the baby.
    Not yet!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Maybe list the other amps and we can judge them to see if, as the internetz, the meet the correct mojo criteria? 

"Ermahgurd, you haz a jcm600 as yer main ampzor, they suckzor".

Tbf, i really fancied a tsa amp but even 15 wattd are too loud for a mid terrace