Old bloke needs a 50 wat valve combo amp

What's Hot

Comments

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    57Deluxe said:
    57Deluxe said:
    @@ivor-honda ;...what kind of Honda??

I have a 1998 red VFR 800 which i have had from new.
    I also have a Honda petrol lawn mower as well but it only takes me 4 minutes to cut the grass because our garden is so small but i have kept it because its a Honda!
    I know i'm just an old sentimentalist, but thanks for asking.

Oh - not a Honda Jazz then...

I've got a Honda Precision. MIJ, I believe.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    CarpeDiem said:
    ICBM said:
    tony99 said:

I dream of being rock n roll enough to have a ride on lawnmower
    When I was a kid my uncle had a ride-on lawnmower… I've always wanted to drive one, but never have!
    Perhaps you should buy one. It sounds like a good solution to GAS!
    or a good solution to GRASS. I haven't got a lawn though
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338

I've got a Honda Precision. MIJ, I believe.
    That's HONDO  !!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

@ecc83 may know the exact spec but I would guess the two 5" speakers in the ID Core are no more than about 90dB sensitivity, which is around 10dB lower than a typical efficient 12" guitar speaker such as a Celestion V30. 10dB is equivalent to ten times the power - so you would get the same volume from only a *4W* amp through the V30 as from the Blackstar."

I don't know the exact spec of the ID-40's speaker IC (never did and they have probably changed now!) but they are essentially 'quite good' single cone speakers that you would find in a decent, big ghetto blaster! It is the software that makes them sound 'guitary'. And yes, IC, probably no better than 90dB/W/mtr sensitivity sine the amp was never designed as a 'gigger'.

On the valve front the HT-5 would certainly beat the ***t out of the ID! Quite a few people gig with a Five and a 4x12 (yeah! daft I know but if you've got it?...) The HT-5 can in fact put out about 10W of 'pleasant' distortion.

The HT-20 has been mentioned and would probably cope but would be MUCH improved (and a bit louder) if the Rocket 50 was replaced.

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    edited June 2017
    I'd take a Blackstar HT series over a HRDx but they're both a bit underwhelming to my ears. Marshall DSL40C would possibly be my choice, especially with a speaker swap to something like a creamback. Classic gain crunch will give you all the blues tones. I've played most of the usual Marshall range and the DSL still holds up to the classics imo. 

Hated my HRDx, might just be the fender tone I don't like though. It was just so boring and plain sounding. The only time I managed to get a half decent tone was boosting the gain channel with a tubescreamer to tighten it up.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72309
    ecc83 said:

On the valve front the HT-5 would certainly beat the ***t out of the ID! Quite a few people gig with a Five and a 4x12 (yeah! daft I know but if you've got it?...) The HT-5 can in fact put out about 10W of 'pleasant' distortion.
    The HT-5 is definitely giggable through an efficient cab - even its own 1x12" with the 'Blackbird' speaker is probably enough - although clean headroom isn't its strong point as I'm sure you wouldn't disagree :).

To be honest I don't think any Blackstar is going to give that early Clapton/Cream sound though. Personal opinion obviously, and I don't doubt someone could prove me wrong - but they just don't sound at all similar to me.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    +1 for the Peavey Classic 50 combo. Sound great and can now be picked up second hand within your budget. 
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4695
    Blues Cube Hot.  Bollocks to valves.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1631
    rlw said:
    Blues Cube Hot.  Bollocks to valves.

WELL! If we are going to go there! Blackstar ID 100 or 150. Not seen much independent opinion but since they are the same 'engine' as the TVPs but with more sensitive guitar speakers, should be well loud enough.

Easy on the old back to boot.

Dave.

• rlwrlw Frets: 4695
    edited June 2017
    Coda have a Blues Cube Artist secondhand for sale - loud and within budget too
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    rawk100 said:
    +1 for the Peavey Classic 50 combo. Sound great and can now be picked up second hand within your budget. 
    My friend did primarily blues gigs and used one of these for a long time. IIRC he used the clean channel pushed more than the overdrive channel.

I think someone also said Bluesbreakers era Clapton was not just a Les Paul and amp but there was a treble booster in there also. So, a slightly cleaner sounding amp than you might think plus something giving it a bit of a whack. Rory Gallagher also mostly used a treble booster ( and latterly a Tube Screamer )into small valve amps, Peter Green used one on some  stuff, Stevie Ray Vaughan used Tube Screamers as did, IIRC, Santana so a small box on the floor is very much part of the blues rock sound. In more recent years Clapton has used an active mid boost in his guitar doing a similar job.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Not a bad suggestion above really. if valve I think 30w would be more than enough.
    The odd MJW pops up in the classifieds here and if its the right model for you, you can't do any better.

• mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 318
    rawk100 said:
    I quite agree!! Funnily enough mine is still for sale *cough*
    rawk100 said:
    This, but don't be tempted by a Classic 30 thinking that it's a smaller version of the same thing - it's not remotely as good. It doesn't sound as good, is less well built and reliable, and a complete pig to work on if it does need it.

Likewise if you find the Hotrod Deluxe is too much amp, the Blues Junior is an inferior amp in every way rather than a smaller version of the same thing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    rawk100 said:
    My friend did primarily blues gigs and used one of these for a long time. IIRC he used the clean channel pushed more than the overdrive channel.

I think someone also said Bluesbreakers era Clapton was not just a Les Paul and amp but there was a treble booster in there also. So, a slightly cleaner sounding amp than you might think plus something giving it a bit of a whack. Rory Gallagher also mostly used a treble booster ( and latterly a Tube Screamer )into small valve amps, Peter Green used one on some  stuff, Stevie Ray Vaughan used Tube Screamers as did, IIRC, Santana so a small box on the floor is very much part of the blues rock sound. In more recent years Clapton has used an active mid boost in his guitar doing a similar job.
    Pretty sure Santana was a no dirt box kinda guy, I've read interviews where he says he never used em. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    rawk100 said:

Pretty sure Santana was a no dirt box kinda guy, I've read interviews where he says he never used em. 
    I've definitely read stuff where he talks about Tube Screamers ( although they weren't something he used all the time) and he definitely used fuzzes. However, I've also read stuff where he says his tone  comes from his legs, so he isn't the most reliable source of information. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    rawk100 said:

I've definitely read stuff where he talks about Tube Screamers ( although they weren't something he used all the time) and he definitely used fuzzes. However, I've also read stuff where he says his tone  comes from his legs, so he isn't the most reliable source of information. 
    Yeah I remember him saying that. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • ivor-hondaivor-honda Frets: 5
    edited June 2017

... I think someone also said Bluesbreakers era Clapton was not just a Les Paul and amp but there was a treble booster in there also. So, a slightly cleaner sounding amp than you might think plus something giving it a bit of a whack.

Apparently Wikipedia mentions that Clapton ‘may’ have used a Dallas Rangemaster Treble Booster.

I have just missed a Blackstar HT40 that went quite cheap on eBay for £185.00, so there are still bargains (hopefully) out there. Anyway I still have strong leaning towards a Marshall DSL 40c but maybe I should put the Peavey Classic 50 combo on the list.

I have emailed Coda about their Roiand Blues Cube

It's one of those 'should I ask' but ennspek mentioned that 'The odd MJW pops up' what is a MJW?

Again regards to all,

Colin (or ivor-honda)

Another possibility is a genuine vintage amp, but something of a 'lesser' brand like WEM. Although not quite the same circuit as the 60s ones, a 70s WEM should be well within your budget even allowing for some servicing work, and they do very much have that sound. (With booster/overdrive pedal optional.)

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5137

I think someone also said Bluesbreakers era Clapton was not just a Les Paul and amp but there was a treble booster in there also. 

LOL. Post that on TGP and watch them kill each other. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.