Helix Lt. versus Headrush

What's Hot
JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 392
Thinking it's one of these for me, aside from price.. what do people think of these?
Helix Lt. has much support from customers and L6.
Headrush looper and interface looks strong.

Ta jon
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17581
    tFB Trader
    Helix all day long.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    Haven't used either.  I think the Helix looks like the more complete all around package.  It'll take a while for there to be a fair audio comparison since the Headrush is so new.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    edited June 2017
    Helix routing is far superior. As is its ability ti use IRs. 

Helix interface is amazing and still IMO best in class.

Actually for me, the only reason I'd buy a headrush is if it sounded alot better than helix. Beyond that helix is miles ahead.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    Think everyone will say Helix on here, but part of me is leaning towards a Headrush ;)
    #thebatesmotelband
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 392
    Thanks 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27990
    Try both and see which you get on with better. The interface is more important than minor differences in sound quality or feature set.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    The most important thing about either is how quickly and easily YOU can get great sounds out of it.  Once you've established that, stop'tone chasing' and make some mucsic.  
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26560
    I've no idea whether they fixed the impulse and audio interface problems in the Headrush yet, but...I was 100% Helix until I watched Bea's demo of the Headrush. Granted, a huge amount of it is the player, but it sounded head and shoulders above all of the other Headrush demos. If I was going to go for a modeller today, I'd probably be closer to 75% Helix.

I must admit that I prefer the "seamless patch transitions" approach to the Helix's snapshots workaround. I also love the Eleven modelling, but I'm not 100% sold on the limited signal paths available.

My real problem with the Headrush is that I just can't get past the awful approach they've had to communication with the potentially-paying-public.
    <space for hire>
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9513
    No comparison....

Helix all the way.

Proven company, proven support.

At the end of the day, the Headrush is to be applauded for adding some competition. Nonethelss, it remains a copy imho... and from initial findings, a poorly supported one at that...
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    edited June 2017
    I dont think anyone on this forum owns or has compared a Headrush to a Helix? 
    I believe you are correct, and youtube videos aren't a great basis for this sort of thing.

While at first glance the Helix LT and Headrush are quite similar, I think they'll appeal to different people. The Helix seems ot have much more potential for complex routing and more I/O, and the interface is a huge leap forward compared to the last generation of multiFX, but the drap-and-drop touchscreen stuff on the Headrush is bound to appeal to some people, and the looper set-up might well be better. And as DS says there's the spillover and instant patch switching on the Headrush - the Helix gets around this with snapshots, but some people will just want different patches. Nowt wrong with that.

Sound quality is probably more than good enough on both, price is similar.

If I was buying something now I'd definitely want to test the Headrush and the LT, but I'd still consider the full-fat Helix even though I only use one loop, and only occasionally... If either offered internal assignable LFOs, a pattern generator and envelope control that'd probably swing it. It'll be interesting to see if the Headrush gets the same sort of updates through firmware.

At the end of the day, the Headrush is to be applauded for adding some competition. Nonethelss, it remains a copy imho...
    I doubt they could have designed it, tooled up and built it since the Helix came out. More likely coincidence - there are plenty of differences after all.
    I don't think that's really relevant here - nobody's complaining about the sound; most objections are based on features and support, and you don't need to have an in-person demo to know about those.
    <space for hire>
  • The Headrush appeals to me due to the Eleven Modelling. I used to love my Eleven Rack, more so than the Amplifire 12 I recently owned for a short time. It was the feel of the Eleven Rack that I always loved, so if they have improved that even more in the Headrush then I'm sure I would like it.

• Helix routing is far superior. As is its ability ti use IRs. 

Actually for me, the only reason I'd buy a headrush is if it sounded alot better than helix. Beyond that helix is miles ahead.
    Why don't you have an Ax8 then?
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9513
    Sporky said:

At the end of the day, the Headrush is to be applauded for adding some competition. Nonethelss, it remains a copy imho...
    I doubt they could have designed it, tooled up and built it since the Helix came out. More likely coincidence - there are plenty of differences after all.
    With respect mate, physically it's an OBVIOUS copy (or influence, if you like that word better) !! :)
    I don't think that's really relevant here - nobody's complaining about the sound; most objections are based on features and support, and you don't need to have an in-person demo to know about those.
    Is this being contrary for the sake of it? OP asks for opinions on a piece of kit. No one here has heard it in person.

How is the tone and user experience of said device "not really relevant here" ? 

edited June 2017
    Is this being contrary for the sake of it? OP asks for opinions on a piece of kit. No one here has heard it in person.

No. I'm saying that if the feature set of a device or the support capability of is manufacturer makes it unsuitable or inferior, then the sound of it is irrelevant.

EDIT: If the OP had asked what they sound like, then yes - you'd have a point. The question wasn't that specific, though.
    <space for hire>
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    Helix routing is far superior. As is its ability ti use IRs. 

Why don't you have an Ax8 then?
    Internet order only.
    Besides Helix ticks all the boxes of what I need it to do. Ax 8 does not.

No. I'm saying that if the feature set of a device or the support capability of is manufacturer makes it unsuitable or inferior, then the sound of it is irrelevant.

EDIT: If the OP had asked what they sound like, then yes - you'd have a point. The question wasn't that specific, though.
    So you are stating outright that I don't have a point and additionally implying that the OP is not interested in the tone of the unit because he didn't specifically state it. You are just creating noise in this thread for the sake of oneupmanship. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom