Helix Lt. versus Headrush

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22388
    I love the Helix. Probably the best bit of kit I've ever purchased. Honestly. I've owned two Axe FX II's, three Kempers, and several other smaller modellers and multi-fx over the years. Line 6 really knocked it out of the park - some twat on Mars got a baseball to the face, and GOOD... coz we got Helix!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 1981
    edited June 2017
    If you're going to compare looks, I think we need to add LT into the mix too. 

Headrush prices are mis-priced now and will HAVE to drop significantly if its going to have any chance of breaking into this sector, in order to be more competitive against Helix LT, simply because Line 6 has the more established name & market share.  I'm talking £699- 749 max i.e. below Helix LT prices. 

Right now the Headrush is still £899. But LT prices are already reducing - Dawson's are still selling Helix LT at the original price of £849 but Andertons are £817, Gear for music £799, and Bax Shop is £782.  

But 'full flavour' Helix prices have come way down too - £1,039 from Andertons & GAK.  At the cheapest price as above, £257 is the difference between LT & full Helix - arguably big enough for some folk to go LT but for me the price difference between LT and full Helix has to be wider or LT sales are going to suffer.  

The Headrush is now priced smack bang in the middle - and clearly LT wasn't good news for the Headrush team.  But between £899 currently for Headrush and £1,039 (only £140 more) for full Helix, it's a complete no brainer - full Helix all the way!  But I have to say that I really do like the Headrush drag 'n drop display - and it's ease of use might be its saving grace. 

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Sorry to drag up an old post... I am kinda having a hard decision between the Headrush, Helix or Helix LT.

Currently, the prices are:
    Headrush - £899
    Helix - £999
    Helix LT - £715

I wasn't too keen on the Helix plug in when I tried it out... which is making me nervous about that.

My gear is:
    Ibanez RG6PCMLTD
    Yamaha Pacifica 311H
    Peavey ValveKing II 50w

I don't gig - just play with myself (no comments ;)) and do a bit of home recording.

The Line 6 stuff is on offer at the moment at Andertons, GAK etc
    Guitar(s): Ibanez RG6PCMLTD, Yamaha Pacifica 311H, Harley Benton Fusion Pro HSH Amp: Presonus Eris E4.5 Active Studio Monitor Speakers  | Effects: Line 6 Helix LT
  • Are you wanting to run it through your amp?
    What didn't you like about native? Chances are you won't like Helix.
  • I seem to recall music radar summed it up by saying the headrush had the better amp sounds and it was easier to use quickly but everything else favoured the Helix. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • I find that MR comment a bit odd, as helix is the easiest to use; complex piece of gear I've ever had, it's a doddle. Can't help but feel they were splitting hairs for review purposes. 
  • Are you wanting to run it through your amp?
    What didn't you like about native? Chances are you won't like Helix.
    Yes and no - for just playing, yes. Recording... no, straight into my DI.
    Guitar(s): Ibanez RG6PCMLTD, Yamaha Pacifica 311H, Harley Benton Fusion Pro HSH Amp: Presonus Eris E4.5 Active Studio Monitor Speakers  | Effects: Line 6 Helix LT
  • SporkySporky Frets: 13113
    I suspect MR summed it up by not quite saying "They both advertise with us, so..."
    Be your own evil twin. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 452
    edited December 2017
    I have the LT but if it was now I'd go for the full fat Helix. The price difference is not that big now and it probably is more sturdy than the LT even if you just play at home not to mention the additional features.

I've had Thomann send me a new one because the expression pedal broke on the first LT I bought and believe or not this one is already making weird noises with just light use. I'm sure it's just a question of time for it to break too.
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."

• fnpt said:
    I have the LT but if it was now I'd go for the full fat Helix. The price difference is not that big now and it probably is more sturdy than the LT even if you just play at home not to mention the additional features.

I've had Thomann send me a new one because the expression pedal broke on the first LT I bought and believe or not this one is already making weird noises with just light use. I'm sure it's just a question of time for it to break too.

I just read on a Helix Facebook Group that a lot of people have issues with the expression pedal on the LT.

Then again, a lot of people are getting bricked Headrush devices with their new update... as well as if you don't power it down, you can brick it. 

I think i'll go with the Helix - I am sure the Native I didn't have it set up right... all the demos i've heard sound excellent...
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 452
    FWIW, I've tried the Native too and didn't like it. Too much strain on my iMac and it may have been my ears, but it didn't sound as good. I love the LT though (soundwise).
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 6898
    edited December 2017
    With Native you have to pay attention to the input meter.  If you're running too hot (I think peaking above -12, it is colour coded) then it'll potentially sound worse than it should.

The only other factor between it and the hardware will be the quality of your DI signal chain.  Otherwise my understanding is they sound the same, however I have not tried a hardware unit (only spoken to people who have used both).
  • WildWayzWildWayz Frets: 21
    edited December 2017
    I went and did it... ordered the Helix LT. At £715 I couldn't pass it up. Also ordered a Presonus Eris E4.5 Active Studio Monitor Speakers (PAIR) - which both of them, and cables was still cheaper than the Headrush.

In life, i've ALWAYS gone for the 'underdog' ie Headrush - and got burnt... so this time, I am sticking with the big guns. 

I never went for the Full Fat Helix as it was £285 more for additional inputs I wouldn't use and scribble strips... I am a bedroom player

Now... do I keep my pedals? I have: TC Electronics Polytune 2 Mini, TC MojoMojo, TC Dark Matter, Boss NS-2, Boss GE-7, 
    Tone City Comp Engine, Tone City Tape Delay, JOYO JF-316 Future Chorus - think that is it...
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1924
    keep your pedals just for now, but if you're a home only player you might end up flogging 'em down the line...maybe soon, Get your Helix first and have a play around before you jump...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • I looked at all kinds of comparisons online, finally decided to order both through Guitar Center. I'm in the States, and there is a location in my town, so I decided I have 45 days to test them and see which I like best.  I got them both Thursday, but only had a little time to play so far.  I WANT to like the Headrush more.  I have to admit - I like the look of the panel.  And there are some really good sounds built in. That said, my initial impression was that the Helix LT was easier to navigate (maybe because I have had several Line 6 boards in the past), and it seemed easier for me to find usable tones quicker.  Now, maybe that will change if I set up my own patches. I have a vacation next week and going to load them both with same IRs and sound test them.  Both sound great, and the graphic layout on the Headrush is beautiful.  I was going to say "makes sense", but it's not hard to navigate the home screen on the patches on the Helix either really.  Again, I really WANT to like the Headrush, but if I had to decide today i would keep the Helix.  It also occurred to me as my dog was preparing to walk across one of the boards yesterday that although the touchscreen is "cool", it is also more problematic if it cracks, and probably more prone to failure.  Still going to play with them for a few weeks and will give an update, but so far it's the Helix LT.  Oh, and both were Floor models, so I got about a 25-30% discount. $50 (US) less for the Headrush.  That said, I do own 2 variaxes.  if all things were equal, I would give the extra $50 for the variax capability.  If the Headrush sounded better or had other better qualities, I'd lean to that. 
    We shall see.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter