Manchester Gig Last Night

What's Hot

Comments

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1472

gubble said:

A lot of the modern stuff wasn't for me but found myself enjoying the show and appreciating the time, effort and talent of all the performers.

I have serious respect for Miss Grande and everything she has done to help out.

Does anyone know if we can still donate to the fund that's been set up as I'd like to ? I enjoyed the show, believe in the cause and feel it's only right I contribute a few quid.

You can send LOVE to 70507 which will donate a fiver I believe. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22107
    Philly_Q said:

Lisa Moorish has the perfect Twitter reply to Liam.
    Alternatively she's seizing an opportunity to take a cheap shot at an ex.  Much like Liam taking a cheap shot at Noel.  As for all the Noel criticism, does anyone know if the organisers actually attempted to contact him?

An ex who never bothered with the child they had together so I'd say she's got a bit more right for the cheap shot than the idiot brother trying to take the moral high ground publicly. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • randella said:

There must have been a large number of kids who were at the original gig at the MEN when the bomb went off, I tell you what - fair play to them.  Must have been nerve-wracking but they turned out and had a good time (I hope) and didn't let the hateful scumbag's actions the previous week stop them doing it.  Nice one.

A friend of mine from work was there with her 12 year old daughter, and also at the MEN gig. They would have been in the foyer when the bomb went off if she hadn't figured out there'd be an encore as Ariana hadn't sung the song the tour was named after and stayed put!

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11743
    Huge respect to everyone who took part, I think Britain is a bit in love with Ariana today.

Also, seriously, the young people in there, especially those who came who were at the gig originally, the best of Britain.

Just wish things could always be that good everywhere.  I also went away from it respecting the pop fraternity a bit more, they did good!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22713
    Philly_Q said:

Lisa Moorish has the perfect Twitter reply to Liam.
    Alternatively she's seizing an opportunity to take a cheap shot at an ex.  Much like Liam taking a cheap shot at Noel.  As for all the Noel criticism, does anyone know if the organisers actually attempted to contact him?

An ex who never bothered with the child they had together so I'd say she's got a bit more right for the cheap shot than the idiot brother trying to take the moral high ground publicly. 
    A child they had together when he was recently married to someone else, so her own moral high ground is pretty shakey (although that in no way excuses his subsequent conduct as regards their kid).  But fuck it, I really don't care that much about him, her or any of them.

Back to the concert, I see J. Bieber took to the stage with a Taylor guitar and no backing band.  Was he any good?
    Philly_Q said:
    A child they had together when he was recently married to someone else, so her own moral high ground is pretty shakey (although that in no way excuses his subsequent conduct as regards their kid).  But fuck it, I really don't care that much about him, her or any of them.

Of course. But this is getting away from the main nub of the conversation. 

• RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6480

joneve said:

underdog said:
    underdog said:
    Liam has a point there (honestly never thought I'd type those words)

Alternatively it looks like a case of a less talented idiot younger brother using an event like this for sibling points scoring. 

I think he seems genuinely pissed off to be honest. Noel being the cities son really should have made every effort to be there, or record a message or something if he really couldn't male it. 
    Couldn't agree more. All it's doing is give the impression you could give two fucks about the city that you were born and raised in, or the people from there who have shown you nothing but love for the last 20+ years. 
    That's a lot of assumption to lay on the guy. Maybe he genuinely couldn't make it? Maybe he figured the day was bigger than him and didn't think he'd be missed? Maybe he thought it was Ariana's night not the Noel and Liam Tabloid Show? Maybe he just loathes the idea of playing iwth his brother and didn't want to be forced into it to appease keyboard warriors? Maybe he understands that that one gig would have just opened a can of worms that he'd never hear the last of?
    ...or maybe he's just a selfish prick?
    Either way, I don't understand the grief he;s getting over it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30874
    That bastard Cantona also refused to do his much-vaunted version of 'San Plain Pour Moi' too.

Cunt.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

joneve said:

underdog said:
    underdog said:
    Liam has a point there (honestly never thought I'd type those words)

Alternatively it looks like a case of a less talented idiot younger brother using an event like this for sibling points scoring. 

I think he seems genuinely pissed off to be honest. Noel being the cities son really should have made every effort to be there, or record a message or something if he really couldn't male it. 
    Couldn't agree more. All it's doing is give the impression you could give two fucks about the city that you were born and raised in, or the people from there who have shown you nothing but love for the last 20+ years. 
    That's a lot of assumption to lay on the guy. Maybe he genuinely couldn't make it? Maybe he figured the day was bigger than him and didn't think he'd be missed? Maybe he thought it was Ariana's night not the Noel and Liam Tabloid Show? Maybe he just loathes the idea of playing iwth his brother and didn't want to be forced into it to appease keyboard warriors? Maybe he understands that that one gig would have just opened a can of worms that he'd never hear the last of?
    ...or maybe he's just a selfish prick?
    Either way, I don't understand the grief he;s getting over it.
    You're probably right to be honest! a video message wouldn't have gone amiss though! But who really cares, as you rightly say, it was Ariana's night and we shouldn't get away from that (although I'm responsible, partly, for derailing things!). But a lot of people (rightly or wrongly) maybe having that impression of him off the back of it (due to Liam's comments and social media onslaught, unfortunately) - which he probably gives two fucks about, because he's Noel Gallagher and probably has better things to worry about. 
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    It has to be done of free will to mean anything anyway.  If Noel had no choice it wouldn't have any meaning if he turned up but didn't want to be there.  Who knows his reasons.

IIRC there was some stick given to the Halle Orchestra that they didn't immediately post something about the Manchester attack on Social Media... turns out they were arranging the We Stand Together concert inc Guy Garvey but hadn't finalised details so hadn't posted anything yet.  I don't think those who engage in virtue signalling consider not everyone lives on social media.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30874
    Well, I've sold all my Cornish pedals in disgust as Gilmour didn't perform. Wanker that he is.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Gassage said:
    Well, I've sold all my Cornish pedals in disgust as Gilmour didn't perform. Wanker that he is.
    Aye, he's a right selfish knob. 

It has to be done of free will to mean anything anyway.  If Noel had no choice it wouldn't have any meaning if he turned up but didn't want to be there.  Who knows his reasons.

IIRC there was some stick given to the Halle Orchestra that they didn't immediately post something about the Manchester attack on Social Media... turns out they were arranging the We Stand Together concert inc Guy Garvey but hadn't finalised details so hadn't posted anything yet.  I don't think those who engage in virtue signalling consider not everyone lives on social media.
    Marvellous point well made. I feel bad for trolling Noel now :( 
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625
    Last night was not the best time for an Oasis reunion, it wasn`t about the Gallaghers it was about the young people and lives affected by the tragic events in Manchester with a young crowd.

You could list 100`s of Manchester`s finest that didn't appear and how disrespectful it was. It was however a great concert, we watched a bit as our daughter wanted to see it and ended up watching it all.
    Tone71 said:
    Last night was not the best time for an Oasis reunion, it wasn`t about the Gallaghers it was about the young people and lives affected by the tragic events in Manchester with a young crowd.

You could list 100`s of Manchester`s finest that didn't appear and how disrespectful it was. It was however a great concert, we watched a bit as our daughter wanted to see it and ended up watching it all.
    That was the same as us, my wife, who loves Radio 1 was like "I'm not in the right frame of mind so I don't want to watch it"...ended up watching the whole thing. Although granted we watched on delay and skipped a few of the performances...Robbie Williams attempting to hit the high notes in Strong was absolutely terrible. 
    edited June 2017
    joneve said:
    You're probably right to be honest! a video message wouldn't have gone amiss though! But who really cares, as you rightly say, it was Ariana's night and we shouldn't get away from that (although I'm responsible, partly, for derailing things!). But a lot of people (rightly or wrongly) maybe having that impression of him off the back of it (due to Liam's comments and social media onslaught, unfortunately) - which he probably gives two fucks about, because he's Noel Gallagher and probably has better things to worry about. 

I doubt many of those people doubting him heard how he spoke about it on Radio X on May 24th. 

What I don't like about the criticism is the block mentality approach. "Noel should do this, Noel should do that". Freedom of will please. 

The music was mostly banal: doesn't matter. It wasn't a night about Ariana: doesn't matter. What mattered was a load of people gathering together and the emotions involved.

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7103
    joneve said:
    joneve said:
    So Ian Brown doesn't give a fuck, John Squire doesn't give a fuck, Morrissey and Johnny Marr don't give a fuck...
    you could argue that, yes. On that note, would have been aces to see the Stone Roses do a song or two and The Smiths for that matter. They were probably busy with their families as well. 

Christ Lisa Moorish has kids with Liam Gallagher and Pete Doherty....she certainly knows how to pick them! 
    I'm guessing most of the kids in attendance wouldn't be that bothered about the smiths or stone roses, oasis (or their songs) however being just about relevant enough to them for a bit of a singalong

on another note, the ever fragrant miss perry was a particular highlight
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    I saw a funny tweet from someone at the start of the night when they started talking about the "big surprise" which was something along the lines of;

"If Ariana Grande has managed to reunite Oasis can we send her to negotiate Brexit??" :D 

A perfect summation. 

joneve said:

I doubt many of those people doubting him heard how he spoke about it on Radio X on May 24th. 

What I don't like about the criticism is the block mentality approach. "Noel should do this, Noel should do that". Freedom of will please. 

The music was mostly banal: doesn't matter. It wasn't a night about Ariana: doesn't matter. What mattered was a load of people gathering together and the emotions involved.

Will watch that later - cheers, and you're 100% right.

I was mostly having a bit of a poke at the Gallaghers in general (I'd have genuinely put money on it being the other way round if it had been announced that one of them had agreed to appear)...which was probably inappropriate....I actually like Noel and think Oasis sound miles better without Liam. I'll never forget when they did MTV Unplugged years ago and Liam decided last minute to not bother doing it and watched from the crowd whilst Noel had to do it on his own. You could see he was genuinely upset, but the songs sounded MUCH better without Liam.