Manchester Gig Last Night

What's Hot

Comments

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    tony99 said:
    joneve said:
    joneve said:
    Couldn't agree more. All it's doing is give the impression you could give two fucks about the city that you were born and raised in, or the people from there who have shown you nothing but love for the last 20+ years. 
    So Ian Brown doesn't give a fuck, John Squire doesn't give a fuck, Morrissey and Johnny Marr don't give a fuck...
    you could argue that, yes. On that note, would have been aces to see the Stone Roses do a song or two and The Smiths for that matter. They were probably busy with their families as well. 

Christ Lisa Moorish has kids with Liam Gallagher and Pete Doherty....she certainly knows how to pick them! 
    I'm guessing most of the kids in attendance wouldn't be that bothered about the smiths or stone roses, oasis (or their songs) however being just about relevant enough to them for a bit of a singalong

on another note, the ever fragrant miss perry was a particular highlight
    OH YES. *rubs thighs*
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    edited June 2017
    On a completely unrelated note, I just clicked on @Heartfeltdawn ; profile by mistake and got the most pleasant surprise. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Heard bits on the radio, saw bits on the telly. Not a lot to draw me in really, although I appreciate that's not the point. Heard about ten minutes of Take That whilst I was driving along and the blandness nearly made me fall asleep at the wheel. The Cyrus-Grande duet was one of the few things I saw and that was abysmal although, again, I know that's not the point. I'm sure Coldplay can do a good live show, I'm sure almost every big act in the world can so that doesn't give me reason to like them. 

All credit not only to Grande for getting back on the horse but also to her band and the fans who'd been at the original concert. Obviously impressive organisation as well. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5458
    The line up didn't appeal to me, but we had the TV on anyway when the show started so thought we'd give it a look.
    The pair of us were completely choked after Marcus Mumford opening with 'Timshell' and we ended up watching the whole thing.
    I was amazed at how fast the switchovers were and with a couple of exceptions the quality of the performances. Props to Katy Perry for not turning up in her joggers! 

A great show by normal standards, an exceptional and moving one given the situation.

• Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625
    I also thought the song of the night was Stevie Wonder, albeit short, it made my wife cry!
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    The Gig will make shedloads of money for those artists performing through increased sales of their catalogue, lets see them really put their money where there mouths are and donate a percentage of the extra revenue that they will get as a consequence

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    sweepy said:
    The Gig will make shedloads of money for those artists performing through increased sales of their catalogue, lets see them really put their money where there mouths are and donate a percentage of the extra revenue that they will get as a consequence

I actually think this isn't a great way of thinking for a couple of reasons.

Firstly - their time is of incredible monetary value as it is.  Many of those artists would have a fee of multiple hundred thousands.  Given the value of recorded music today a sharp spike in streaming wouldn't recover that, even album sales aren't likely to.

Then there's the fact that most of these artists are already engaged in some form of charity work anyway.

Miley Cyrus - https://www.happyhippies.org/#our-work
    Katy Perry - http://www.borgenmagazine.com/katy-perry-unicef/
    Justin Beiber - http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/justin-bieber-donates-545k-aids-3608690
    Imogen Heap - http://www.imogenheap.co.uk/charity/
    Will.I.Am - http://iamangelfoundation.org/about/

etc etc...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8687
    Gassage said:

For all of us who understand live performance ... the sheer magnitude of the Manchester gig and how people managed to get it on so seemlessly is mind blowing. What an amazing effort.

It was a good event. The amount of work that goes into these things is amazing, and relies on the skills and goodwill of lots of people. Very little of it was my type of music, but most of the performances kept me watching from start to finish.
    jellyroll said:
       I'm full of admiration for Grande - for me though, it wasn't putting on the gig that showed her humanity, it was visiting the kids in hospital. The concert was great though - she could teach the odd president about being professional and dignified. 
    The girl was amazing. She's got the voice, and she's got the stage presence.
    I don't think those who engage in virtue signalling consider not everyone lives on social media.
    "Virtue signalling" is a new one on me. "Points Scoring" and "Political Correctness" piss me off. None of us know who spoke to whom, and when, nor on what basis individual decisions were made. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    I'd honestly never heard of Arriane Grande before all this but now have massive respect.......... and a bit of a crush
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    A great night - an enormous credit to all concerned. Even following Stevie Wonder with Little Mix didn't dent my enjoyment.

And I could hear it all through my bedroom window too....
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11743
    monofin said:
    I'd honestly never heard of Arriane Grande before all this but now have massive respect.......... and a bit of a crush
    Let's face it we are all a bit in love with her at this point!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • randellarandella Frets: 4165
    randella said:

There must have been a large number of kids who were at the original gig at the MEN when the bomb went off, I tell you what - fair play to them.  Must have been nerve-wracking but they turned out and had a good time (I hope) and didn't let the hateful scumbag's actions the previous week stop them doing it.  Nice one.

A friend of mine from work was there with her 12 year old daughter, and also at the MEN gig. They would have been in the foyer when the bomb went off if she hadn't figured out there'd be an encore as Ariana hadn't sung the song the tour was named after and stayed put!

@littlegreenman  dear lord. Well I'm just glad they did stay put, and much respect to them turning out at Old Trafford. Just the fact that I've lived in Manchester for a long time and been to many gigs at the MEN (showing my age calling it that, at least I've got over calling it the Nynex ;)), even that sent a shiver down my spine when I heard the news of the attack. 
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4685
    joneve said:
    joneve said:
    Couldn't agree more. All it's doing is give the impression you could give two fucks about the city that you were born and raised in, or the people from there who have shown you nothing but love for the last 20+ years. 
    So Ian Brown doesn't give a fuck, John Squire doesn't give a fuck, Morrissey and Johnny Marr don't give a fuck...
    you could argue that, yes. On that note, would have been aces to see the Stone Roses do a song or two and The Smiths for that matter. They were probably busy with their families as well. 

Christ Lisa Moorish has kids with Liam Gallagher and Pete Doherty....she certainly knows how to pick them! 
    I very much doubt The Stone Roses or Smiths would have been on the cards, the demographic was very much young teenagers and the concert was about them, not just the history of Manchester music.  Much as I would like to have seen a 15 minute version of fools Gold.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4524
    Elizabeth My Dear
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4685
    I caught bits of it, and - music taste aside - it was most impressive...in fact, I don't think I'm exaggerating when I describe it as this generation's Live Aid.
    Also, I though there were parallels with Bob Marley playing a few days after being shot.
    Asked why he would play so soon after getting a gun fired at him he said:-

The people who are trying to make this world worse aren’t taking a day off. How can I?

Also the line from No Woman No Cry, Fear is my only courage, so I've got to push on through

Might be just me, but I was teally reminded of those sentiments last night. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I thought Bieber did well with just an acoustic.... he kept rhythm and sang his shite song which surprised me..
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7104
    I thought Bieber did well with just an acoustic.... he kept rhythm and sang his shite song which surprised me..
    He is without doubt his generation's Cobain
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22718
    tony99 said:
    I thought Bieber did well with just an acoustic.... he kept rhythm and sang his shite song which surprised me..
    He is without doubt his generation's Cobain
    Well, he sings, writes songs and plays guitar left handed.... when does he turn 27?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BodBod Frets: 1298
    I thought it was poor form for Liam to play his new single between two Oasis numbers.  It made it look like he only agreed to perform In order to promote it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6480
    Bod said:
    I thought it was poor form for Liam to play his new single between two Oasis numbers.  It made it look like he only agreed to perform In order to promote it.
    Ridiculous comment, IMO