Ashdown 4*10 cab

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 2614
edited June 2017 in Bass
There has been a lack of love for Ashdown expressed on this forum lately.  I came across this 4*10 cab and wondered it it would sound similar to the speakers in my Minimark 802.  I don't want a 'different' sound than that from the Minimark, I just need a louder sound!

http://www.adverts.ie/speakers/ashdown-engineering-bass-speaker-450-watt/7724697

So has anyone here any experience of this cab and will it give me what I am looking for?  Thanks.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 31142
    As long as you don't put anything like 450W into it, it should be fine. (And if you think about it, how can a cab with four speakers rated for any sensible round number of watts be a 450W cab? ;) ) My guess is that they're more like a 300W cab in reality - if your amp is 250W it will be OK.

It also seems a bit overpriced, but I don't know what prices or secondhand availability are like where you are.

It will most likely be noticeably louder than the Minimark though - in very rough terms, all else being equal (although that is a big assumption), four tens should be about 6dB louder than two 8s, ie equivalent to using four times as much amp power.
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 9143
    It weighs 61 lb

that might be all you need to know.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 13586
    It weighs 61 lb

My back just whimpered at that thought.
    It's still nothing compared to the Marshall VBC412 (pair) I used to run at 110 lb each.

But at least they came with wheels!
  • RockerRocker Frets: 2614
    It weighs 61 lb

Crikey! My Minimark weighs little more than my bass.  @ICBM suggested that the price is too high or at least at the upper end of the price these speakers sell for.  If the seller reduces his selling price, I would take my Minimark to his place and try it out for myself. I like the Minimark tone, I would not be interested in speakers that are voiced differently.  Perhaps only a trial will determine that.

Wheels might solve the moving of the speaker issue if the sound is what I want.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 13586
    Rocker said:
    It weighs 61 lb

Crikey! My Minimark weighs little more than my bass.  @ICBM suggested that the price is too high or at least at the upper end of the price these speakers sell for.  If the seller reduces his selling price, I would take my Minimark to his place and try it out for myself. I like the Minimark tone, I would not be interested in speakers that are voiced differently.  Perhaps only a trial will determine that.

Wheels might solve the moving of the speaker issue if the sound is what I want.
    Wheels don't help getting it in and out of the car or up the stairs tho!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    You can get an Ampeg pr810h for peanuts these days if you want big.

Mainly because it weighs 215 lb!!!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 2954
    The MiniMark 802 can drive an external loudspeaker in parallel* with the onboard 2x8". The obvious choice would be an extension cab from the MarkBass range, 8 Ohms, rated to handle 250-300w. 1x12 or 1x15 should fill things out for both low end and overall volume. 

* The signal path diagram in the owner's manual suggests that it is not possible to run an extension cab instead of the internal eights. It is compulsory to have both.

I fear the Geeks, even when they bear GIFs.