Solid State Amp for a 7 Year Old?

What's Hot
andypandyp Frets: 332
Hi folks.

Just wondering if there was a consensus around what solid state amp I could look at for my nearly 7 year old son who is learning to play. He's using an old "Rak", cheap and crappy amp and wants to use my Marshall Code 25 all the time now as it's "more fun" and definitely better sounding. The Code is really complex for him to set up though and it's too loud for him to bash away on, and I'm trying to keep it in good nick to be honest so I am looking to get him a cheap amp of his own.

I'd thought of 5W to 10W sort of size, but with simple controls, not like the Code or even the Blackstar ID:Core that I had previously (which I didn't like as it happens). I'm thinking gain, volume, tone knobs... something he can understand and just plug into and go. I guess I'm looking at something under £100 and that sounds as decent as we can get for that. If he sticks at it, then we'll upgrade his gear as we go along but something of his own would be really cool. What about the likes of the Orange Crush models? Or a Laney? Are they shite?

Cheers,

Andy
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    Line 6 Spider 15.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• NikkoNikko Frets: 1803

Katana 50w ??

It can used at 0.5watts, and sounds really good, and is simple to use.

**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    Thanks @Nikko ;I'm thinking the Katana is too much outlay right now to be honest, but if he sticks at it I'd probably get rid of my Code and we'd share one amp between us, and a Katana 50 would be one I'd be looking at.

Also, thanks @ICBM ;M I'm not very clued up on Line 6 amps. I'll go and check out the Line 6. :)
  • Blackstar ID Core 10. 2nd hand. Locally.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    My 8 y.o. has a Blackstar Fly
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11746
    jellyroll said:
    My 8 y.o. has a Blackstar Fly
    Seconded - Blackstar Fly.  £50 new battery only, you can also get a little stereo setup for £79

If thats too small or you dont need it quite that portable look at Core Stereo 10, which is again superb for the money.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Just stumbled over the Vox Pathfinder 10... it's £60 new, which makes me think it's not going to be very good.
  • jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2464
    There's a second hand Yamaha THR10 at Andertons right now, it's £150 so a bit over budget but seems to tick all your boxes so worth a thought...
    http://www.andertons.co.uk/p/SH-198-2084/second-hand/second-hand-yamaha-thr10c-guitar-amp-w-power-supply
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    There's a second hand Yamaha THR10 at Andertons right now, it's £150 so a bit over budget but seems to tick all your boxes so worth a thought...
    http://www.andertons.co.uk/p/SH-198-2084/second-hand/second-hand-yamaha-thr10c-guitar-amp-w-power-supply
    That's actually very cheap as they go for a lot more on eBay.

I was going to suggest the THR10 also.  
    THR... hadn't thought of them as I thought they were up around £200. Thanks, will have a look at the suggestions and see what's around. Pretty sure it'll be a used one, whatever we go for.

Cheers.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    andyp said:
    THR... hadn't thought of them as I thought they were up around £200. Thanks, will have a look at the suggestions and see what's around. Pretty sure it'll be a used one, whatever we go for.

Cheers.
    I have a THR 10, would sell for £160, that includes postage.  
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9593

You can pick up a Vox DA-5 or Mini 3 for not much money. Reasonably simple controls (play with the knobs to get a clean/crunch/hi-gain sound and add a little delay/reverb).

A Pathfinder 15 is much better than the 10.

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    Roland Cube 10GX. About a hundred notes. Tough, a few effects, and very intuitive to use.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    Roland, also a good call. My guitar teacher uses them and swears by them.

I'm liking the idea of the Vox and Orange ones to be honest. They seem like "real" amps but in simpler form. Lots to go on here, thanks very much for the help so far!
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 254
    I would say Orange crush. Nice and simple, sound good. 
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I'd have been delighted with a Vox Mini 5 for my first amp. The THR10 is a great little amp but might disappoint when he really wants to rock out (volume wise)... as a parent that may, or may not, be desirable.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    The Vox Mini5 Rhythm is absolutely brilliant - I've got one - but it's over £100, and it's possibly not quite as intuitive to use as the Line6, surprisingly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Getting a decent wee shortlist together here! Thanks :)
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I've just listed a 1985 Marshall lead 12.
    It doesn't get much simpler than that.
    It's in great condition and if it's for your young lad,...........well PM me if you want it and I'll work something out for you.
    Any good?
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    Give him the Code and get yourself a Katana.