Practice Amp Solutions/Suggestions

What's Hot
andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
edited June 2017 in Amps
Ok, some advice needed please. 

I'm after an all in one practice amp for travel so it can't be too big, aux in for MP3 play along, headphone out, and a variety of tones.

Ive been looking at the Yamaha THR10 amps and the Boss GT-001 as a start, but was wondering what you use, what has worked for you? what hasn't? 

Any to avoid?

As a point of reference I have a Fender GDEC 3 30 which is great, but too big to be portable. 
I've also had a Fly3 which I didn't like at all, as well as a pocket Pod which I didn't like either.

A
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RockerRocker Frets: 4979
    Andy, my 'stuck record' answer to your question is a Pignose.  Works fine from batteries, about as simple to use as you can get and a decent sound.  No built in FX or anything like that.  Just a good sound.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Roland Micro Cube .. I have the older version than this which I take around with me and play in the garden - batteries last for ages and tones are excellent. You can even stream backing tracks via a smart phone. Cheap as chips and built like a tank.

https://www.roland.com/uk/products/micro_cube_gx/

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    edited June 2017
    Rocker said:
    Andy, my 'stuck record' answer to your question is a Pignose.  Works fine from batteries, about as simple to use as you can get and a decent sound.  No built in FX or anything like that.  Just a good sound.
    I've owned about three or four of them and I have to say I think they're awful. They have a distinctive sound, but you've got to really work to get anything decent out of them - careful positioning of the open case and use of the guitar controls. Not that that's a bad thing in some ways, but they're really not at all flexible or easy to use in most situations. They're also not very well-made.

Heresy I know!

Sorry, forgot to say - the Vox Mini3 or Mini5 Rhythm fit the requirements and sound genuinely good.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    Rocker said:
    Cheers bud, it might be a bit 'bare bones' for me!

I've seen them, but am after fx (to cover up my shoddy playing) and an aux in and headphone out that cancels the speaker.

must admit they do look very cool though. 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Tones from the Roland Cube GX ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Fretwired said:
    Tones from the Roland Cube GX ...

I remember a mate had a Roland cube and I was quite impressed with it, I'll have another look at them, cheers!

ICBM said:
    Rocker said:
    I've owned about three or four of them and I have to say I think they're awful. They have a distinctive sound, but you've got to really work to get anything decent out of them - careful positioning of the open case and use of the guitar controls. Not that that's a bad thing in some ways, but they're really not at all flexible or easy to use in most situations. They're also not very well-made.

Heresy I know!

Sorry, forgot to say - the Vox Mini3 or Mini5 Rhythm fit the requirements and sound genuinely good.
    Don't know why but I never associated Vox with these type of things, I'll definitely check them out, they seem to have everything. 
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2236
    I use a zvex nano with the internal speaker, set to thin man and not too loud, sounds great.

A mate has a pignose guitar, one stop shop sounds different.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited June 2017
    +1 For the cube. I have the gx, and run it with batteries and it's great. The fx aren't bad at all and it's surprisingly loud. 

I don't think you're too far from me if you want to borrow it for a trial.

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7333
    edited June 2017
    slacker said:
    I use a zvex nano with the internal speaker, set to thin man and not too loud, sounds great.

I had to research these. £500?!
    wow. 
    At that price I'm almost in reach of a used DV Mark Multiamp. 

I'm going to have to restrict myself to £250 tops (otherwise I'd go daft and end up with another kemper or Helix and that's more money than I want to spend on a practice amp!)

+1 For the cube. I have the gx, and run it with batteries and it's great. The fx aren't bad at all and it's surprisingly loud. 

I don't think you're too far from me if you want to borrow it for a trial.
    Cheers for the offer mate, it's greatly appreciated.

I think PMT in t'Leeds should have them so I'll have a look down next week and see what they've got. 

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    andy1839 said:
    slacker said:

wow. 

I'm going to have to restrict myself to £250 tops (otherwise I'd go daft and end up with another kemper or Helix and that's more money than I want to spend on a practice amp!)
    I found my ZVex Nano for £200. Worth every penny although you do need an external cab. Unlike @slacker I think the internal speaker's a bit of a joke.
    Sassafras said:
    andy1839 said:
    slacker said:

wow. 

I found my ZVex Nano for £200. Worth every penny although you do need an external cab. Unlike @slacker I think the internal speaker's a bit of a joke.
    I have seen the cheap versions by Hotone is it for about £100. 
    I'll keep an eye out, might be a nice toy to play with for a bit.