Are you the keymaster?

What's Hot
LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
edited June 2017 in Theory
https://m.imgur.com/gallery/FMnDozA

Help me! My newbie brain still can't wrap itself around this. I'm playing a song with a chord progression which consists of Em, G ... Em D ... G,D,C,Em and then back to Em, G. 

It's also played with a capo on the1st. So what key am I playing in? I'm trying to work out some noodling to do over the top but can't seem to find it. Also, should I do my solo with or without a capo? 

Hope someone can help me out! 

Cheers

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26953
    Sounds like Em before the capo, which would make it F minor capo-ed at the first fret (assuming you're talking about chord shapes relative to the capo).

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    Sounds like Em before the capo, which would make it F minor capo-ed at the first fret (assuming you're talking about chord shapes relative to the capo).

Yes the chord shapes are relative to the capo. Thanks, I'll give that a go and see if it sounds right.

• vizviz Frets: 10690
    Yes, so when you play an em shape with a capo on the first fret, you're actually sounding an fm chord (assuming your guitar isn't detuned. So the song is in fm, and your chords you're ACTUALLY playing are fm, Ab ... fm Eb .... Ab Eb Db fm. 

I can't see the pic but assume this is a piece in fm, so you can solo in fm (which will seem like em if you have a cap and are noodling down at the nut end of the fretboard, and ignore the fretboard dots). 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    edited June 2017
    It's actually this song (sorry about the bad singing!)

https://cl.ly/000N1f0P001q

...but I'm trying to throw in space for a solo and get something suitable in there, as well as some flavour over the top throughout the rest of the song. Just for more depth / interest. That might make my amateur ramblings make more sense?

(I also need to re record it because I screwed up the timing at the start of the third verse, I know!)

It's actually this song (sorry about the bad singing!) 

https://cl.ly/000N1f0P001q

...but I'm trying to throw in space for a solo and get something suitable in there, as well as some flavour over the top throughout the rest of the song. Just for more depth / interest. That might make my amateur ramblings make more sense?

(I also need to re record it because I screwed up the timing at the start of the third verse, I know!)
    Very nice - ok yes so you can do your soloing in fm throughout the lead break. I suggest you use an ibanez jem through a wah pedal and tubescreamer into a 100w stack, plenty of whammy bar and pitched harmonics. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    viz said:
    Very nice - ok yes so you can do your soloing in fm throughout the lead break. I suggest you use an ibanez jem through a wah pedal and tubescreamer into a 100w stack, plenty of whammy bar and pitched harmonics. 
    I'm afraid you'll have to settle for either my Epi Les Paul Traditional Pro ii or a PRS SE 245 soap bar both through a Katana and all the various peddle sims it can do... No whammy, but I suspect you were pulling my plonker just a bit. Was going to just put a mild crunch / blues tone and play some echoes of the vocal melody with some slight variations and a bit of sustain ;)

That'd work too ;)
    Thanks for your help folks! I'll post the results, assuming the local cats all survive the experiment! ;) 

• slackerslacker Frets: 2236
    Some suggestions 

Try soloing on the g major scale with the capo on one that's g Sharp major.

Try moving the capo up and singing in various keys it sounds like fm is too low for you.

Oh and I like the song
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    a somewhat haunting melody, very good, well done
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    It's sadly not my song, it's a great track by Laura Marling. 

https://open.spotify.com/track/4jaJjKNIUfkOVdbNZkmStA

I've done it in the original key because I don't normally sing, I have someone who *can* sing that's going to re record the vocals. I'm only good for Johnny Cash ;) 

• riscadoriscado Frets: 180
    edited July 2017
    No, I'm the gatekeeper... someone had to do it.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33792
    There is no Dana, only ZUUL.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Finally! 

We were inching towards it.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9710
    slacker said:
    Some suggestions 

As there's only flattened 7ths if you think of it in Em, playing on the G Major scale would probably be the best bet
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    slacker said:
    Some suggestions 

As there's only flattened 7ths if you think of it in Em, playing on the G Major scale would probably be the best bet
    @thecolourbox I don't understand this point - can you expand on it? I mean, em and G have the same notes obviously but what's your point about the major 7th? G major's major 7th is just em's major 2nd, and the song is in e minor, not G major (well, f minor but you know what I mean)

What @Legionreturns could do is raise the 7th of the e minor scale, ie. he could play e melodic or harmonic minor scales, if that's what you're leading to in terms of avoiding a minor 7th, but I don't get your point about G major. Cheers
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9710
    Sorry yes that probably doesn't read very clearly does it! Sorry about that.

What I mean is, ordinarily I'd say that for something to be in E Minor, I'd expect the 7th note (ie D) to be sharp as part of the Fifth Chord (B) triad, whereas the above chord sequence does not contain a Fifth Chord or therefore any chords to feature that Sharp 7th note, if that makes sense. So Em with a flattened 7th (ie D Natural, not sharp) means to me that the notes you'd be playing fit closer to the G Major scale than Eminor, but starting with E as your 1st (root) note.

Hopefully I've not just made that less clear, happy to be corrected if people think I'm wrong
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    I'm clear as mud, but working on it! 

Where it starts getting tricky is including chromatic notes.
    You can play the major 7th over an Em based harmony, provided you don't resolve to that note.

Chromaticism is what lifts your playing out of the pedestrian.

You can pepper major 7th and b5 intervals into your playing whilst remaining essentially 'in key'.
    It has to be done right though, transcribing blues and jazz solos and learning how others have done it successfully is always a more efficient way to do it than trying to run all the permutations.