Need a pedal board... ideas please

What's Hot
TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
I've been booked to dep for a string of gigs with a band next month.
They are playing two sets: One early country and rockabilly, 2nd early 50/60's rock n roll into rhythm and blues.

i need a small pedal board - so thinking nano or nano +

budget is abut £300 for the lot (it's being bought for me - i just need to give them a list so has to be new pedals)

So yeah - I have a nano + lying around somewhere - amp will be a laney cub 12 (mic'd up into the PA)

Give me ideas please... I don't have much time! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26916
    That's I'm guessing you want a tuner, maybe a comp, low gain boost/OD, and slapback.  Probably no need for swirlies and metal zones.  That's actually quite hard within 300 notes!

With that in mind I'd got Polytune Mini, Dyno Comp, and an MXR Carbon Copy if you can get it on budget, otherwise problably a TC flashback, then whatever boost you can get within budget.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1655
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    Sadly not. It will all be shop purchased new kit.

That's I'm guessing you want a tuner, maybe a comp, low gain boost/OD, and slapback.  Probably no need for swirlies and metal zones.  That's actually quite hard within 300 notes!

With that in mind I'd got Polytune Mini, Dyno Comp, and an MXR Carbon Copy if you can get it on budget, otherwise problably a TC flashback, then whatever boost you can get within budget.
    Yes I'm thinking along those lines too, i'm thinking Boss, just in terms of reliability and ease to source... (prices from andertons) and all battery powered (except the dd3)

TU3 - 65
    CS 3- 79
    BD - 79
    DD3 - 115

Total is 338, but I think they will get at trade price.. 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    Boss SD-1W
    MXR Carbon Copy

or 
    Boss BD-2
    MXR Carbon Copy
    EH Pulsar (if you're playing any slower tunes)

I don't think the DD-3 is right for those kind of songs & unless you are doing lots of modern lead picking a compressor will not be of much use (plus Nashville guys are more likely to use CS-2s or dyna comps) 
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7151
    Eesh, tough to get excited about!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • What about a TC Nova System? Small footprint, right on budget and will have all the effects you need.

Boss SD-1W
    MXR Carbon Copy

or 
    Boss BD-2
    MXR Carbon Copy

I don't think the DD-3 is right for those kind of songs & unless you are doing lots of modern lead picking a compressor will not be of much use (plus Nashville guys are more likely to use CS-2s or dyna comps) 
    hmm, interesting .- you think that analogue delay is a much better sound for this type? I'm thinking I only need a little slap back for the rockabilly stuff.

If I went Carbon copy, would you go for the normal version or the bright one?

The compressor I was thinking as a lot of this is going to be clean, and I wondered if the fast rockerbilly (think George Tripps here) stuff could use a lift as it's all clean..

Was also thinking of mini pedals like mooer or tone city, but I don't like the way they mount on a pedal train. I just need to get the job done, rather than sound authenticly amazing :) But i'd like to be in the right ballpark, this is not my usual thing!

i'm trying to find out what the permanent guy uses, but he's in hospital... so not really his top priority! 
    It should pay me enough to buy a mini moog... :) That's the excitement part.

What about a TC Nova System? Small footprint, right on budget and will have all the effects you need.

Hate, hate, hate TC.
    Maybe a M/fx is the answer though... good thought.
  • builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 457
    Crazy Tube Circuits Blackface Stardust. Does really beautiful Blackface Overdriven tones Probably work nicely for country stuff also
    Model D?? 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
    bear in mind if you are using batteries and Boss pedals then if you leave them connected up the act of inserting the input jack turns on the buffer, which will drain the battery while it's all sat in the cupboard ;-) 

this is the same for all buffered pedals. Just something to be aware of. 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    TimmyO said:
    bear in mind if you are using batteries and Boss pedals then if you leave them connected up the act of inserting the input jack turns on the buffer, which will drain the battery while it's all sat in the cupboard ;-) 

this is the same for all buffered pedals. Just something to be aware of. 
    Very good point...
  • CS3

BD2

Keeley Memphis Sun

Think that would just about be in budget, give or take £30.

Model D?? 
    Yup.

now I'm not going to buy one - It's more synth than I need, but I will go for something moog!!
    Model D?? 
    Yup.

now I'm not going to buy one - It's more synth than I need, but I will go for something moog!!
    Holy shit. Envy. Sub 37 is wonderous. Would also suggest Prophet 6 or OB-6... more cash obviously, but very very powerful. 
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I would probably go for some sort of multi fx I think. It will cover more bases certainly. Pod 500 or Firehawk perhaps. Carl Martin Quattro, Tech 21 Flyrig...
    simonk said:
    I would probably go for some sort of multi fx I think. It will cover more bases certainly. Pod 500 or Firehawk perhaps. Carl Martin Quattro, Tech 21 Flyrig...
    Carl Martin Quattro looks a good bet...
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    Boss SD-1W
    MXR Carbon Copy

or 
    Boss BD-2
    MXR Carbon Copy

hmm, interesting .- you think that analogue delay is a much better sound for this type? I'm thinking I only need a little slap back for the rockabilly stuff.

If I went Carbon copy, would you go for the normal version or the bright one?

The compressor I was thinking as a lot of this is going to be clean, and I wondered if the fast rockerbilly (think George Tripps here) stuff could use a lift as it's all clean..

Was also thinking of mini pedals like mooer or tone city, but I don't like the way they mount on a pedal train. I just need to get the job done, rather than sound authenticly amazing :) But i'd like to be in the right ballpark, this is not my usual thing!

i'm trying to find out what the permanent guy uses, but he's in hospital... so not really his top priority! 
    I think the bright most likely, slapback that is too clean just doesn't sound right. I reckon the CC bright or the EH memory toy will do the job really well (on a lower budget)

I'm not a fan of compression on chords, it's a bit too Dire Straits and smooth for things like country or Rockabilly IMO. 

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3038
    Teetonetal said:

Sadly not. It will all be shop purchased new kit.
    Why?

R.