Valve rattle damper rings - anywhere in UK that sells them?

What's Hot
PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4171
I've got a rattly EL34. Ideally I'd like the damper that Eurotubes sell - http://www.eurotubes.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=147&idcategory=8 - but they want $15 for postage. Anyone know if this kind of thing is sold in the UK? I Googled it but could only find a dodgy Chinese outfit selling what looked like rolled up condoms.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4171
    Ah, thanks!

"various sizes available to fit most valves" - Do they do EL34 size in that?

"Not recommended for valves which get hotter than 250c." - is this OK for a EL34?
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734

Or you could buy them from here at about 20% the price:

https://www.polymax.co.uk/o-rings/rubber-silicone-o-rings/

Thanks, I'll check that out. =)
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    Philtre said:
    Ah, thanks!

"various sizes available to fit most valves" - Do they do EL34 size in that?

"Not recommended for valves which get hotter than 250c." - is this OK for a EL34?
    I've got them in my hifi stuff and guitar amps. Haven't had any issues yet. 

If you mention in the notes what valve it's for they'll send the right sizes. 

Or give the bloke a call and tell him what you're after. 

Ive got two rings on most valves in the combos. 
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    This would solve my rattly valves  - cheers!
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6098
    I just don't get this at all. You can't compress the glass of a valve, so why would a thick elasticated band make any difference?
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    I used to use an old thick rubber band 
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    equalsql said:
    I just don't get this at all. You can't compress the glass of a valve, so why would a thick elasticated band make any difference?
    Presumably it dampens the filimant hitting the glass
    Like putting a cloth on a glass would stop it resonating if you hit it with a fork
    I'm a bit skeptical myself but I guess thats the theory.
    edited June 2017
    In my case, holding the rattling valve gently with a cloth stops the rattle. So I think a thick rubber doodad might work. At least I'm going to try it.
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    I don't get this either.   If a valve is rattling wouldn’t that mean it's loose in the socket, or that the socket is loose in its mounting?  Or am I totally missing the point here? 
    It's filament rattle. And, yes, a silcone damper works.
  • MistyMisty Frets: 135
    If it's filament rattle dampers definitely work, but as has already been said, get ones that will definitely take the high temperatures involved. I bought some off eBay once for my EL84s, and I could tell very quickly from the smell that they were overheating. I then got some from the US which are perfect.

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884
    Misty said:
    If it's filament rattle dampers definitely work, but as has already been said, get ones that will definitely take the high temperatures involved. I bought some off eBay once for my EL84s, and I could tell very quickly from the smell that they were overheating. I then got some from the US which are perfect.
    viton is better than silicone, it takes a higher temp
    I've used them for years
    Philtre said:
    It's filament rattle. And, yes, a silcone damper works.
    I use to get valves in an amp headsin the room vibrating and rattling when a different amp was being played
    I assume it's the resonant frequency of the glass tube or the filament structure - adding dampers around where the metal structure is, and sometimes also a quarter of the way in from the top and bottom does work

I use to get valves in an amp headsin the room vibrating and rattling when a different amp was being played

I assume it's the resonant frequency of the glass tube or the filament structure - adding dampers around where the metal structure is, and sometimes also a quarter of the way in from the top and bottom does work
    That's exactly the case for my rattly valve. Playing C# (fairly loudly) creates the resonance
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Misty said:
    I've used them for years
    Where did you obtain the Viton ones?
    andy1839 said:

They arrived. I put them on the rattly valve and it no longer rattles. They're silicone and can take the heat.

Result.

Thanks.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    rico said:
    Misty said:
    I've used them for years
    Where did you obtain the Viton ones?
    I got them from http://www.polymax.co.uk,

viton takes a bit more heat
    some output valves run a bit hotter in some amps

fatter rings (more cross sectional area) do a bit more, but are tighter and cost more 
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    Philtre said:
    andy1839 said:

They arrived. I put them on the rattly valve and it no longer rattles. They're silicone and can take the heat.

Result.

Thanks.
    Great, I'm pleased it's sorted for you mate. 

Andy