Anyone tried Blackstar HT5 and the metal version?

What's Hot
ChristopheChristophe Frets: 62
edited June 2017 in Amps
I'm thinking about going for a HT5 (again!) and wondered if anyone has tried both versions. Does the metal do everything the regular one can plus more? I previously used a bad monkey to add a little boost and sustain which worked nicely and I'm wondering if the metal version will do this without pedals or am I wrong?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• longilongi Frets: 95
    There are 3 versions of the HT5! (Well sort of!) The first gen model that doesn't have a whole lot of gain. Then there's the post 2011 update which has lots of gain and then there's the metal version. I haven't tried the "metal" version but i do have the post 2011 version which has more gain than i need. For the record it has loads of gain, did you have the first gen version? Ie the one with the 10 inch speaker, or the post 2011 version with the 12 inch speaker?
  • ChristopheChristophe Frets: 62
    @longi I had the HT5r as soon as it came out, foolishly moved that on when the DSL5c came out and some point after ended up with an original non reverb HT5 so I guess both! I really like the clean and dirty sound on the amp and I was wondering in the metal shared the same clean channel but different dirt
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 252
    I've got an early HT5 i'm looking to move on if thats of any interest to you. Could do with the tone pot replacing on the clean channel but works ok other than a slight bit of crackling. I'm not a million miles away and i don't want much for it. Apologies if this post is out of order..
  • ChristopheChristophe Frets: 62
    @nick79 Yeah might be, I'll send you a PM later :)
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1624

"There are 3 versions of the HT5! (Well sort of!) The first gen model that doesn't have a whole lot of gain"

I think you might have got a 'Friday nighter' there Longi?  I don't recall the mk1 speccing lower OD gain than the mkll? In fact one of the mods on the very early ones was to REDUCE the gain!

Re the crackly pot. There are a few mods in the pipeline for HT-5s and so I suggest vendor or buyer ship the amp to Npton for a service. Won't cost as great deal....Talk amongst yourselves.

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    I have a ht5r head and greenback loaded zilla cab in the bedroom, the ht5r is a great wee amp. I use it with cae wah, diamond cpr1 compressor and boss bd2 blues driver.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    I really like the HT5, I used mine a lot over the years, and it's only been left unused since I bought an AFD. They sound good, do lots of useable sounds, work at all volumes and the headphone socket is great for practice that doesn't piss off the rest of the house.

Also I have the head and twin cab so it looks cool as chuff, even more so as mine is red :D