Electrics for a Tokai Les Paul.

wackojackowackojacko Frets: 59
edited June 2017 in Making & Modding
right so I've bought a used Tokai Les Paul which will get here in a few days...and the electrics are bost so I will need to get new electrics. I'm sure I'll change the p'ups too in the not too distance future. 

Will I need short shaft or long shaft pots? (I'm going for CTS)

Same with toggle switch;

switchcraft short frame or long frame with the deep threaded nut? 

Ta

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    Inspect the control cavity. If the depth is uniform, you need long shaft pots. If the cavity depth follows the top carve, you might get away with short shaft pots. 
    Be seeing you.
  • wackojackowackojacko Frets: 59
    edited June 2017
    Inspect the control cavity. If the depth is uniform, you need long shaft pots. If the cavity depth follows the top carve, you might get away with short shaft pots. 
    Mmmm ok thanks. So you reckon long shaft?

i re-wired epiphone last year and it was short shaft. 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16541
    It's hard to know.  Tokai les Paul's come at a lot of different price points.  Some very much like Epi's, some close to proper Gibsons.

so the correct answer is whichever size are in there now.
    Sound thanks fellas 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    Is it a 2 or 3 screw trussrod cover? If it's Tokai it'll be short shaft, than includes the nice shiny Japanese ones 
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    edited June 2017
    What wez said.

Some of the older ones were short shaft, but with metric holes. So you'd need to ream them out for CTS.

Some of the new ones come with CTS pots, so the holes wouldn't need enlarging. Some will be long shaft...

They have started to do metric sized CTS pots though. 
    https://www.axesrus.co.uk/1-x-CTS-Pot-Split-Shaft-Metric-Size-p/cts59met.htm

They seem to be 'medium' shaft, so might be just the ticket. Won't know until you have it in your hands.
    What wez said.

Some of the older ones were short shaft, but with metric holes. So you'd need to ream them out for CTS.

Some of the new ones come with CTS pots, so the holes wouldn't need enlarging. Some will be long shaft...

They have started to do metric sized CTS pots though. 
    https://www.axesrus.co.uk/1-x-CTS-Pot-Split-Shaft-Metric-Size-p/cts59met.htm

They seem to be 'medium' shaft, so might be just the ticket. Won't know until you have it in your hands.
    Ohhh metric CTS pots could be interesting.

I got a long shaft les paul wiring kit in the end and reamed the holes out to 10mm diameter for the CTS pots.

thanks for the heads up though!