sourcing a 10k linear pot.

What's Hot

Got an broken wah pedal that I wanna turn into an expression pedal for helix rack.

The schematic is simple. But can't seem to find the required Pot in the UK (Dunlop 10k linear), and the shipping for a $15 part from US ranges from $15(with an 8 week wait) upto $50+

Any suggestions on sourcing parts in the UK?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    It's a bit of a minefield of options, but worth trying RS Components or Farnell (both UK) or Mouser (not UK but may as well be...)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    edited June 2017
    I had a look on Farnell and it's actually quite difficult to get the exact description you need - and those that do match aren't cheap.

If it's for a 3-wire expression pedal controller, is there any reason the existing 100K pot won't work? It simply operates as a potential divider.

I've done a couple - not for a Helix admittedly - which worked perfectly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    @ICBM im just going off recomendations on the line6 forum, that pretty much copy the mission pedal. It just takes one side + wiper to tip + sleeve 
    Does the Helix have settings for configuring the expression pedal? If so it may well still work with the 100K pot.

I seem to remember the DL-4 I had was like that, you set it so it gave the settings you wanted at each end of the travel and it worked fine. Obviously not a Helix but it's at least another Line6 so it may use the same logic.

Nothing to lose by trying it, anyway.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2574
    tFB Trader
    not sure if this will work in that pedal?
    http://modulusamplification.com/Potentiometer-10k-12w-Linear-Taper-ALPHA-P5389991.aspx

but if it just a voltage divider the 100k pot will probably work too, or you can put some resistors in parallel with it to get the resistance down... worth a try

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    Soooo tried a 20k pot from a bass wah I had lying around. 
    Seem to control from 1-100% sometimes down to 0%.

edited June 2017
    sgosden said:
    Soooo tried a 20k pot from a bass wah I had lying around. 
    Seem to control from 1-100% sometimes down to 0%.

Sounds like it just has a slightly iffy contact at the zero end. It's the 100% end it would have trouble with if the value mattered.

Try the existing pot in the wah and see what happens.

Bear in mind that the standard setting for the pot in a Cry Baby reaches the end of the track at toe-down not heel-down, so you'll need to adjust that. Just make sure that the treadle movement can't force the pot past its end stop.