Orange TH30

mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 315
Im on the lookout for a giggable head, for the usual unmiced blues rock pub gigs and a couple of Orange TH30s have cropped up at a reasonable price, including one in the classifieds here. Features wise it fits the bill but what puts me off is I had an orange dual terror and really didn't like the sound. It's was somehow muddy but harsh all at the same time. I do appreciate though that all amps are not made equal.

anyone any feedback on the TH30 heads for use with a pub rock band? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BoopDeWoopBoopDeWoop Frets: 101
    I have one. Clean channel is loud as balls and sounds great, takes pedals very well.

The gain channel is fuzzy, anything over 1 o'clock on the gain dial is pretty fuzzy and hard to dial in. For a classic rock crunch it would be fab. It's pretty loud too using a 4x12, both volume controls stay below noon on mine. I like.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Great amp. Even better considering cost but ultimately was far, far, far too much for a home amp as planned. 
  • I echo the above posters. Too much for home use even with the power turned down. Clean channel is the star of the show here. With the lower power settings it becomes a really nice crunch after about 10 o'clock, more headroom with the 30W setting though and takes pedals really nicely.
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 894
    It's a funny amp. I can't remember which two classic Orange amps it is based on but it has the cleanest Orange channel available and the filthiest Orange channel available - all in one box. :)

The fizziness of the dirt channel goes away as you turn it up and at gig volume it can actually be quite a bright sounding amp.

It doesn't have a master volume - each channel has its own volume which in practice I find makes it slightly tricky to balance the channels - there is a load of headroom on the clean channel so hitting it with an overdrive pedal can result in a huge volume hike...whereas the dirty channel is so compressed that you need to crank it quite a bit to match the clean.

You can switch the power stage between 2 and 4 valves and also halve the power on the front, so in theory can have 1/4 power...but I don't find this makes much difference to either volume or tone.

I have had more positive comments on tone when playing through this amp than any other...and I kind of love it despite (or perhaps because of) it's quirkiness. I keep trying other things and coming back to it. It is very simple and as such, you get a quality tone that is very dynamic and hasn't been messed with a whole lot.