Goodmans 12p speakers, anyone know anything about them??

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
I've got my eye on a nice 80's jcm800 era marshall 4x12 for sale locally.
It's loaded with 4 Goodmans 12p speakers . I don;t think these would have been stock.

I've never tried them, so I'm interested in what people think of them.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• At 12 pence they probably sound dreadful 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    Definitely not stock in any Marshall cab.

They sound nice - although very soft and warm, rather than bright and crunchy - but are hopelessly optimistic for power rating so they're easy to blow. They're supposedly rated for 50W but I would say 20 to 25 is more realistic. A quad of them *might* just about be safe with a 100W amp but I wouldn't push it hard.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    They are not bad. I find them quite 'nasal' sounding, and not as much clarity as a celestion or fane, bit muffled in comparison. They sound better in an open back cab in my opinion, and also with single coil guitars. Not so good with humbuckers and closed back cabs.  Interesting for some things, worth trying out for sure, but I always find myself reverting back to Celestions or Fanes.  Apparently Paul Kossoff used Goodmans in the studio (not the 12P version though).

They wont be stock in a Marshall, but some other guitar cab brands did come with them, I found some in an old Elgen cab once that were definitely stock.
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    Am I better off selling the speakers and putting something else in there if I get the cab for the right price ??!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    Am I better off selling the speakers and putting something else in there if I get the cab for the right price ??!
    Yes.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Are they the ones with the black cover cap? They're dark sounding but when paired with a bright head sound good. I just bought a 12pg of the forum which is aimed for guitar whereas the 12p had a more general application. 
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    edited June 2017
    I wonder if the PG's are a bit brighter and clearer sounding for guitars then? I think Burman used those.

Try them first of course. But yes, most likely you will prefer celestions or fanes in there instead. You should be able to get £50 per speaker if they are in mint condition, and you are very patient and prepared to ship worldwide. There is no need to auction them off for £5 each like most people do, unless they are in horrible condition.