Giving it from behind....... (weight relief, that is)

What's Hot
TrudeTrude Frets: 914
edited June 2017 in Making & Modding
Pardon the smutty title.  Couldn't resist.

So, I have a Historic Black Beauty LP Custom, which I've owned from new ('98).  We've been through a lot together, and it has the scars to prove it.  Sentimental value has caused me to hang onto it, even though the weight (11.5lb) is getting a bit much for my lower back these days.  I have a wide, stretchy strap which helps a bit, but even so...

I occasionally think about replacing it with a weight-relieved LP or even a Traditional, which would be quite a bit lighter even without the weight relief.  I always seem to chicken out though, because I can't bring myself to let it go.

So, I was wondering if there's some way to lighten the load.  Would it be feasible to either take a slice off the back (resulting in a profile a bit like the Custom Lite / Less Plus) and/or drill some weight relief holes from behind and then put a cap on the back?  Taking the top off isn't an option of course, as it's solid mahogany.  Maybe I could even tunnel through from inside the pickup cavities (it's a 3PU model, so there may be some scope here)

I know it seems crazy to be thinking about butchering an old friend like this, but I'm thinking in a few more years it'll be either this or I have to start from scratch with a new guitar.  I wouldn't be worried about the effect on resale value if it means I can keep the guitar for the rest of my playing days.

Needless to say, I wouldn't be attempting any of this myself.  There are a few good luthiers in my area who I would talk to.

Any thoughts?
Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    Maybe this should be in Making & Modding....

Trading feedback here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    Great title. Disappointing thread, though. You probably gave it too big a build up, though, tbh..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

usedtobe said:
    Great title. Disappointing thread, though. You probably gave it too big a build up, though, tbh..
    Yeah, sorry about that.  I should write for Buzzfeed...

Trading feedback here
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16546
    don't drill through from the pickup holes.

its actually an easier job because its a custom and, i assume,  doublebound.  

I would suggest the following process:
    • remove the rear binding, 
    • take 3-6mm from the back 
    • create the chambers or weight relief holes in the proper places for a les paul.   
    • Add a new 3-6mm mahogany back.  
    • re-bind 
    • re-route the cavities
    •  refinish the back and binding, the binding gives you a cleaner edge to work to.

I would always advise against this on a normal LP as it would be visible, even if hidden well.   No reason this can't be totally hidden on a custom

However.  It will change the way the guitar feels and responds, and those may be part of the reason you have kept it for nearly 20 years
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    WezV said:
    don't drill through from the pickup holes.

its actually an easier job because its a custom and, i assume,  doublebound.  

Yep, it is.  That's a good point.  

WezV said:

However.  It will change the way the guitar feels and responds, and those may be part of the reason you have kept it for nearly 20 years
    True enough, but I'm not toooo worried about this.  I love a hollowbody and semis too.  If it picked up some of those characteristics it wouldn't be a bad thing.  I've also heard many say that weight relief makes less of a difference than you'd think, so unless it's a total disaster I should be alright.

Whilst I love the guitar, the REAL reason I kept it (and the only reason I bought it in the first place in fact) is because I'm Keef in a Stones tribute and...well, you've gotta have one.  What could I replace it with, really?

Trading feedback here
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    @WezV 's solution is undoubtedly the best for effectiveness and invisibility.

I have added a second, larger 'control chamber' on my ridiculously heavy Indie custom LP which is a simpler mod (I'll post a shot when I get back to a desktop and decent internet) but actually offers surprisingly modest reduction of weight given the impressive amount of wood removed.  The advantage of @WezV 's solution is that you can route more chambers without it looking silly from the back.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Never, ever drastically and irreversibly modify a guitar you love - it can only go one way. And it will. Any weight relief that's enough to be worthwhile will change the balance, feel and tone of the guitar.

By all means do it to one you only like, or don't really like, as a last throw of the dice if you were thinking of selling it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Maybe I should just work on my posture. 

Trading feedback here
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12646
    Or play it sitting down - works for Fripp.

I agree that it will change the sound - and it may not change the way you want it to. 
    Personally, I'd try to find a lighter instrument that sounds the way you want it to. I had to when my back injury got too much for my Les Paul Custom.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.