World's deepest voice

What's Hot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaPtiFO-NLc

Bit of a clanger with the interview though: he can sing at 40Hz, which he says is 8 octaves below the lowest G on a piano.

He means 8Hz lower AFAIK

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    edited February 2014
    Me today. Got epic dose of man flu and would make Barry White sound like Minnie Ripperton.....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    edited February 2014
    There's a famous story about a performance of Rachmaninov's Vespers - one of the pieces ends with the basses going down the scale to an almost impossibly low note, a bottom C I think, and when they'd finished it a man in the audience stood up and continued the scale an octave lower. Here's the piece, not the performance with the audience unfortunately. Listen to the whole thing, it's almost unbearably beautiful and the climb to the climax from 1:40 to 1:50 is sublime. Every one of Rachmaninov's pieces, large or small, has what he called the pinnacle, and this one's a goody, and the climb down, ending in that octave scale, is lovely. :)

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2014
    Well he does say he can sing a whole piano's worth below an ordinary piano, so that is another 8 octaves; The lowest note on a piano is 27.5 Hz, so if you halve that 8 times you get 0.1 Hz. That sounds pretty impossible to me. Well it doesn't because the lowest a human can hear is 10-20 Hz. Zero point one Hertz???? It can't be. That's a wave every 10 seconds! It's like - ok I'm going to sing the lowest note ever, I've just started, you can't actually hear it but come back in 10 seconds for the next pulse.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited February 2014

It's a well known fact that low resonance in the scalp cause hair loss though.

Whilst he may have the lowest voice I do think his claim about quite how low he can go is rubbish.  It's interesting that they went to the trouble of interviewing him but no one thought to ask for a demonstration of that range.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.

He did, you just couldn't hear it.

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    edited February 2014

It's a well known fact that low resonance in the scalp cause hair loss though.

Whilst he may have the lowest voice I do think his claim about quite how low he can go is rubbish.  It's interesting that they went to the trouble of interviewing him but no one thought to ask for a demonstration of that range.

He probably was trying, but the presenter was clearly hoping to get noticed by radio stations by displaying her 'talk over the important bits' skill.
  • It's a well known fact that low resonance in the scalp cause hair loss though.

He probably was trying, but the presenter was clearly hoping to get noticed by radio stations by displaying her 'talk over the important bits' skill.
    Having re-watched it I think you are spot on.  :D
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited February 2014
    edited February 2014

In this video he also claims the 10 octaves, but he actually sings a middle A, 440 Hz, which is 4 octaves above the bottom A on a piano, so that means he can only do 6 octaves on his "lower piano", which would be around 0.4 Hz, which is also rather low. I mean that's more than 3 octaves lower than an elephant. He says he can hear the notes in his head even though he can't actually hear them with his ears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9P1ymFCxf0

• viz said:

He says he can hear the notes in his head even though he can't actually hear them.

I know a lot of singers like that.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Well if the voiceover stuff doesn't work out he can always use the Tay Zonday youtube covers business model.