Cellos are bloody expensive

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 5964
    Sporky said:
    NelsonP said:

Some of the best cellos are so old that they are a bit like the Two Ronnies 'broom'. 
    Most of the best cellos are a lot older than that.

Though not quite as old as the Ship Of Theseus.

;)
    I'm fairly sure the reference is Trigger's Broom from Only Fools and Horses ( as in a modernised Ship of Theseus). 

I used to have a CD of Dave Holland's solo cello pieces, the sound is just wonderful. I've had one attempt to play something on a cello and, well, I was pretty clueless. 
    I feel the warm, healing, liquid presence of God’s genuine cold-filtered grace. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 10977
    Sporky said:
    NelsonP said:

Some of the best cellos are so old that they are a bit like the Two Ronnies 'broom'. 

;)
    I'm fairly sure the reference is Trigger's Broom from Only Fools and Horses ( as in a modernised Ship of Theseus). 

Erm... yes. That was the (very old) joke.

In related news I've spotted that my cheapo bow (a mere £80ish) is now curving in entirely the wrong plane. I asked for some recommendations and my teacher is suggesting £6-800 for a replacement.

Ouchies.
    Never forget that you are wearing your invisible tiara.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • DLMDLM Frets: 1448

The upside to these expenses is that if you have the necessary funds, you can actually get a return on investment on stuff you use to have fun with.

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 227
    Sporky said:
    NelsonP said:

;)
    Yes, that does appear to be the case. Google is better than my memory.....
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1226
    Sporky said:
    Sporky said:
    NelsonP said:

;)

Erm... yes. That was the (very old) joke.

In related news I've spotted that my cheapo bow (a mere £80ish) is now curving in entirely the wrong plane. I asked for some recommendations and my teacher is suggesting £6-800 for a replacement.

Ouchies.

I'm not sure if you need to, I know someone who plays the Cello in an orchestra and his bow was a Dorfler (I think that's right) that cost around £150.
    @olafgarten That would be Dörfler, yes. The missus says if you don't want to spend a lot of money, a carbon fibre bow isn't a bad idea. The fundamentals are that it needs to be straight in the one plane and have the right curvature in the other. One should be able to realise that for £150, but bows need to be tried, each individual one is different (natural materials, innit).
    My current bow was only £80 - I accepted at the time (and now) that it wasn't going to last my entire playing "career", but it's done OK up to now. £150 sounds much more sensible than £600 at this point so I may well get a tide-me-by.
    Which is quite fair enough. SWMBO says a well-chosen £150 bow should be just fine for you.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 227
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Don't muck about. Get a Kittel or Dominque Piccatte bow. You should be able to pick one up for around £150k (!)

DLM said:
    Which is quite fair enough. SWMBO says a well-chosen £150 bow should be just fine for you.
    Ta chief. :)

I was thinking a Codabow, but that can be a mid-term thing now.