Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How many songs do you play in a set?

What's Hot
Si_Si_ Frets: 384
We usually do 12 in the first set, and 12-14 in the 2nd with encores. But the addition of a new singer and upcoming gig in a week means we've had to cut that down to 10 and 12, which I think is not enough.. Just wondered how many others fitted in.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• We play 17 songs of instrumental music over two 45-minute sets, which is enough to tip anyone over the edge into madness.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    When we did covers gigs it was three 45-50 minute sets, usually 10 to 12 songs per set. One time we were told we had to finish after midnight to get paid and we were on our last song at 11:45, that turned into quite the drawn out jam...

• Si_ said:
    We usually do 12 in the first set, and 12-14 in the 2nd with encores. But the addition of a new singer and upcoming gig in a week means we've had to cut that down to 10 and 12, which I think is not enough.. Just wondered how many others fitted in.

Usually about the same for us too - 12 or 13 in the first set, one or two more in the second.
    Can you stretch any of the existing 22 songs out a bit? Get some "singalong" parts going, or an extended solo/ jam?
    Or are there any dead easy songs you could busk on the night that the new singer wouldn't need to learn? (Usually something like Teenage Kicks comes up during these such conversations...)

• RolandRoland Frets: 8703
    Two sets with about 16 songs in each.  We reckon on 3 to 4 minutes per song, including gaps for tuning, instrument changes, and conversations with the audience.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • yes, pub gig usually 2x45 minute sets, so number of songs depends how long they are! Time/ record them in rehearsal. Do you have much between song banter? You will play everything faster on a gig than at rehearsal as well so take at least 10% off all your timings.

You can certainly re-use at least one song from the first set into the second. Certainly anything from the first set is fair game as your encores. Don't hold anything back for encores if you are struggling for complete numbers.

I am approcahing a year now without having gigged but we used to book end the sets. So, used a really strong number to open set 1 and used it again to close set 2. Quite often you have different people in by then anyway and for those who are still around its your greatest hit!  

Instrumentals - obviously different for different types of music but a short instrumental can go down well, even just as a play on tune, and worth considering if it saves your singer's voice.But, I would suggest 1 per set as a limit and know the difference between an instrumental and a jam.  
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Cirrus said:
    When we did covers gigs it was three 45-50 minute sets, usually 10 to 12 songs per set. One time we were told we had to finish after midnight to get paid and we were on our last song at 11:45, that turned into quite the drawn out jam...
    we played a gig in a right scarey shit hole and with no audience interest. After our first 45 minute set we asked if we could just leave. No one was listening and there were fights taking place. The landlord said we had to play a second set to get paid. I think we played 3 songs, packed up. took the money and ran!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    Usually 11 numbers in a 45 minuet set but we would write 13 on the list and drop whatever was inappropriate i.e. if they dance early drop the ballads, if they stay glued to the bar/seats drop the dance drivel.
    Typical 3 set gigs for us.

Always have an encore  and pull it out if needed. Always leave them wanting more.

• My old covers band was 2 hours across 2 sets. We'd aim for 50 mins and 70 or thereabouts, expecting to tag another song or 2 onto the end of that if needed. Digging out an old set list that was 13 songs then 18, but that'd depend on the exact setlist.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Depends what sort of covers you're doing. A Pink Floyd covers band might get 3-4 songs per 45 minute set.
  • vasselmeyer;161083" said:
    A Pink Floyd covers band might get 3-4 songs per 45 minute set.
    although in any decent venue they would be bottled off long before they got that far.
  • Loads, but mostly the same solo.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Loads, but mostly the same solo.

Sounds like me, that. We do 40mins first half and 60 ish second including "encores". We do a very fluid version of Sympathy which can ruin the timings a bit too.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    Used to be 43 to 45 over 3 hour gigs.

Some encores sometimes depending where we were playing.

My old band still do.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    Pubs used to be 2 x 45 but now they are open till 12 it's more like 1 x 55 and 1 x 65

Club and corp gigs are generally 3 x 40 mins ish 

I think you need around 25 pref 30 songs to be safe
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Danny1969 said:
    Pubs used to be 2 x 45 but now they are open till 12 it's more like 1 x 55 and 1 x 65

That's very true for most of my gigs...   I'd usually write a set list of 10 and 12 with a list of spares but make a point to either time it in rehearsal or do an itunes playlist to check the length.  

As others have said it depends how long the songs are and how much banter the singer will do...   I'd feel edgy having less than 25 but I've seen a lot fo bands stick to the 2x45 so it's more a case of what you're used to - you probably have enough depending on the song lengths.
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    It's not the number in the sets that's the worry, it's the numbers in the encore. We found we had too few, cause the punters were still giving it and the pub was all "Aye ok then...", so essentially the encore was a separate mini-set.

Probs cause I said "Look, I'm NOT playing the same fucking song twice".
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    17 plus 2 encores
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • 9 songs in a single set...then again, it's an originals band so the odds of anyone asking us to do more than 45 minutes are pretty low.
    <space for hire>
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader
    2 x 1 hour usually. 

Number of songs is determined by how long they are. 
  • We hate playing 30 min sets cos we can only get 4 songs in :(
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ