Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Underrated Albums

What's Hot

Comments

• Supertramp - Breakfast in America (1979)
    Everything about this album is perfect. The lyrics and tune are deep and sentimental, especially when combined with Hodgson's unique voice. Supertramp deserves more recognition for their work and especially this album.

Genesis - Duke (1980)
    Although people would say Phil Collins has bastardized Genesis with pop rock, this is the album that has the perfect balance between prog and pop. The metaphorical and poetry-like lyrics depicts a vivid imagery of the song's connotation and tone, whilst the instrumental melody is powerful and sentimental. This album is on-par with Gabriel's stuff in my opinion, it's just the style was done differently by Collins.

Jane's Addiction - Ritual de lo Habitual (1990)
    VERY VERY underrated band considering that i would regard them as the pioneering band of the 1990s grunge and alternative rock. Love the incorporation of instrumental parts in some of their songs. Navarro's lead guitar and long solos are a nice touch. I think they deserve wayyy much more attention than Nirvana any day.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72312

Genesis - Duke (1980)
    Although people would say Phil Collins has bastardized Genesis with pop rock, this is the album that has the perfect balance between prog and pop. The metaphorical and poetry-like lyrics depicts a vivid imagery of the song's connotation and tone, whilst the instrumental melody is powerful and sentimental. This album is on-par with Gabriel's stuff in my opinion, it's just the style was done differently by Collins.

I actually slightly prefer the Collins-era Genesis to the Gabriel era (and thus am a heretic to true believers!) - but also prefer Gabriel's solo work in some ways… a rare case where a band split produces even better results.

I don't think Collins bastardized Genesis until probably Invisible Touch - I even like the 'shapes' album a lot even though it was the first of the more pop-sounding ones. Although Illegal Alien is possibly where it starts and that's on that…

My favourite Genesis album of all is probably And Then There Were Three.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • viz said:
    Anything by david lee roth. 
    And he is a guitarist, I don't know if it's him on the album but my wife saw them touring behind their second album and said he played the acoustic guitar intro to "Ice Cream Man".

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• Supertramp - Breakfast in America (1979)
    Everything about this album is perfect. The lyrics and tune are deep and sentimental, especially when combined with Hodgson's unique voice. Supertramp deserves more recognition for their work and especially this album.

Genesis - Duke (1980)

Jane's Addiction - Ritual de lo Habitual (1990)
    VERY VERY underrated band considering that i would regard them as the pioneering band of the 1990s grunge and alternative rock. Love the incorporation of instrumental parts in some of their songs. Navarro's lead guitar and long solos are a nice touch. I think they deserve wayyy much more attention than Nirvana any day.

All of Supertramps music is revered in North America, not underrated here.  I would add "Nothings Shocking" by Janes Addiction too, maybe it got more recognition but not much.  As for Genesis, most people here lost interest with the "And Then There Were Three" album and tend to think only the Gabriel/Hackett Genesis is worthy, and even then it's a fanatics only club.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
    edited February 2014
    I fully expect to get flamed, but...

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/shookdown/metallica_load-cover.jpg

Yes, really. It's a great hard rock album, with some great songs on it. A lot of people hate it just because it's not a metal album, but it really is a good listen. Now...

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/500x/43396140.jpg
  • Bidley said:

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/shookdown/metallica_load-cover.jpg

Yes, really. It's a great hard rock album, with some great songs on it. A lot of people hate it just because it's not a metal album, but it really is a good listen. Now...

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/500x/43396140.jpg
    "Hero of the day" is one of my favourite songs from Metallica, the album Load isn't bad at all either

• ICBM said:

I actually slightly prefer the Collins-era Genesis to the Gabriel era (and thus am a heretic to true believers!) - but also prefer Gabriel's solo work in some ways… a rare case where a band split produces even better results.

I don't think Collins bastardized Genesis until probably Invisible Touch - I even like the 'shapes' album a lot even though it was the first of the more pop-sounding ones. Although Illegal Alien is possibly where it starts and that's on that…

"Shapes" was definitely not a bad album either!! Although admittedly the album has completely deviated from prog rock, the pop songs like "Its gonna get better" and "Taking it all too hard" are one of my favourites (despite not being prog).

I don't think Phil Collins totally screwed up Genesis, his earlier work with Genesis from "A trick of the tail" like "Squonk" and "Ripples" are masterpieces in terms of lyrics and composition. Not to mention, the "Wind and Wuthering" album.

hmm come to think of it, I seem to like more songs from Collins era than Gabriel era. But I love  Phil Collins' and Peter Gabriel's solo work a lot.

• All of Supertramps music is revered in North America, not underrated here.  I would add "Nothings Shocking" by Janes Addiction too, maybe it got more recognition but not much.  As for Genesis, most people here lost interest with the "And Then There Were Three" album and tend to think only the Gabriel/Hackett Genesis is worthy, and even then it's a fanatics only club.
    Nothing's shocking is good as well, but i prefer Ritual de lo Habitual a lot more because it is more sentimental, abstract-sounding, and the tracks were really well put together. Unlike Nothing's shocking, the tracks from Ritual de lo Habitual had powerful instrumental outruns, and the use of different rhythm and beat in each song was unlike anything I've heard of. I am never bored of this album.

I think Duke was the final turning point for Genesis before they started going into pop. Gabriel-era fans should give Duke a try, I remember listening to Duke when I broke up with gf and oh my... that album felt 10x more sentimental and emotional than Gabriel's work, especially tracks like Duchess and Misunderstanding. For the emotion factor, I think Phil Collins delivered songs that were emotionally deeper than Gabriel's work.

• Bidley said:

METALLICA - LOAD

Yes, really. It's a great hard rock album, with some great songs on it. A lot of people hate it just because it's not a metal album, but it really is a good listen.
    I agree. Load and Reload both had some very good hard rock songs on them.
    Until It Sleeps is my particular favourite off the two - the S&M version is really strong, too.

I believe they were recorded at the same(ish) time, and as such I take it as a double album - with the inevitable "it would have made one good single album" caveat.

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
    Bidley said:

METALLICA - LOAD

Yes, really. It's a great hard rock album, with some great songs on it. A lot of people hate it just because it's not a metal album, but it really is a good listen.
    I agree. Load and Reload both had some very good hard rock songs on them.
    Until It Sleeps is my particular favourite off the two - the S&M version is really strong, too.

I believe they were recorded at the same(ish) time, and as such I take it as a double album - with the inevitable "it would have made one good single album" caveat.

Until it Sleeps certainly is awesome on S&M. In fact, I think the Load/ReLoad songs lend themselves much better to the whole symphony thing (with the exceptions of For Whom The Bell Tolls and Call of Cthulu).

And yeah, that sounds about right. ReLoad has a bit more filler though, IMO.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    ICBM said:

"Shapes" was definitely not a bad album either!! Although admittedly the album has completely deviated from prog rock, the pop songs like "Its gonna get better" and "Taking it all too hard" are one of my favourites (despite not being prog).

I don't think Phil Collins totally screwed up Genesis, his earlier work with Genesis from "A trick of the tail" like "Squonk" and "Ripples" are masterpieces in terms of lyrics and composition. Not to mention, the "Wind and Wuthering" album.

hmm come to think of it, I seem to like more songs from Collins era than Gabriel era. But I love  Phil Collins' and Peter Gabriel's solo work a lot.

Is it wrong that I love "We Can't Dance"? "Jesus He Knows Me" is one of my favourite songs ever! :D 
  • joneve said:

Is it wrong that I love "We Can't Dance"? "Jesus He Knows Me" is one of my favourite songs ever! :D 
    Not at all - There is no "wrong" when it comes to taste in music.

unless you like Ocean Colour Scene.

• I prefer the Stone Roses Second Coming to their debut.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    joneve said:

Not at all - There is no "wrong" when it comes to taste in music.

unless you like Ocean Colour Scene.
    Ain't DAT the truth! 

Hallelujah! I have been saying that for years, finally someone who agrees!

I was saying to a mate just last night that the leap from Stone Roses to Second Coming in Squire's playing is probably the most marked improvement I have ever witnessed in a professional musician from one record to the next (not that he was shoddy on the first album either, I should add).

Kirk Hammett, as you can imagine, was also mentioned in the same conversation, for someone opposite reasons..

• GassageGassage Frets: 30899
    Talk Talk Spirit of Eden.

Mark Hollis : Mark Hollis.

Fucking genius.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Hallelujah! I have been saying that for years, finally someone who agrees!

I was saying to a mate just last night that the leap from Stone Roses to Second Coming in Squire's playing is probably the most marked improvement I have ever witnessed in a professional musician from one record to the next (not that he was shoddy on the first album either, I should add).

Kirk Hammett, as you can imagine, was also mentioned in the same conversation, for someone opposite reasons..

No. I had their first one on this morning on the way to work. The Second Coming has better guitar playing on it but he forgot to write the songs in between all the solos. The debut album has no duffers at all (maybe the backwards one).

Kirk's just not bothered anymore imo.

"A city star won’t shine too far"

• I was saying to a mate just last night that the leap from Stone Roses to Second Coming in Squire's playing is probably the most marked improvement I have ever witnessed in a professional musician from one record to the next (not that he was shoddy on the first album either, I should add).

That's where those five years went then.

No. I had their first one on this morning on the way to work. The Second Coming has better guitar playing on it but he forgot to write the songs in between all the solos. The debut album has no duffers at all (
    maybe the backwards one).

The first album is one of my all time greatest albums but don't stop just irritates me and gets a skip every.  A steaming turd on an otherwise fantastic album  - much like Yellow Submarine on Revolver.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72312
    edited February 2014
    That would be my second favourite - I prefer it musically and instrumentally I think, but prefer the songs on ATTWT, just.

I think Duke was the final turning point for Genesis before they started going into pop. Gabriel-era fans should give Duke a try, I remember listening to Duke when I broke up with gf and oh my... that album felt 10x more sentimental and emotional than Gabriel's work, especially tracks like Duchess and Misunderstanding. For the emotion factor, I think Phil Collins delivered songs that were emotionally deeper than Gabriel's work.
    I agree - about his personally influenced songwriting anyway. I just think it went off the rails when he started trying to be an actor in his songwriting as well as on film... he wasn't any good at either. The 'character playing' songs are universally dreadful, I think.

He also remains one of the best drummers ever to sit behind a kit, which surprises some people who only know his vocal stuff.

On the subject of prog and under-rated albums, one of my favourites is Yes' 90125.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein