Would the modern Fender 59 Reissue Bassman be OK to use, at volume, with a Bass ???

maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 549
Just a thought . . . . Sounds a dumb question I know but are they OK to use with a Bass or are they JUST a guitar amp these days ???
I know they started life as a Bass Amp " way back " and were adopted by guitarists along the way BUT
are they actually OK to run at Pub / performing volumes with a Bass Guitar  ??? 
Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2723
    No is the short answer, the speakers aren't up it.

They weren't a great bass amp back in the day either.

What's interesting is that the orginals had individual leads and sockets for each speaker (unlike other Fender amps). There is much speculation as to why this is, however may take on it is that it was designed to make the speakers easier to replace, ie Fender new that you would be changing speakers frequently if you used the amp for bass.

I've seen plenty of reissues with blown speakers when used for guitar!
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 549
    edited February 2014
    Hmmmm . . . That basically what I imagined would be the answer . . . funnily enough I looked at one a while back and one of the four Jensens had been replaced with a Celestion  
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    These amps are the exact reason why Leo Fender invented the separate head and sealed cabinet bass amp...!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• NerineNerine Frets: 1971
    I used to use mine to play and record bass through quite often.
    Sounded great!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    At lower volume and clean they're fine - like any guitar amp. The problem is that at gig volume it's much harder to hear the onset of distortion - 45W really isn't enough that you won't be using all of the available power unless it's an acoustic band or something like that - and you almost certainly will blow the speakers sooner or later.

Of course there's nothing to stop you putting tougher speakers in - I'd go for at least 50W-rated per speaker, possibly as high as 100W to be safe, and probably something with a 'stiffer' bass response to try to limit the cone excursion, which is probably as much of an issue in an open-back cab as the outright power handling. Something like Celestion Vintage 10s, possibly. That may make it sound less like a Bassman should for guitar though… (if you want that).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson