First gig with Katana 212

JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1257
Venue was the Fatling & Firkin in Hornchurch which is a really awkward bugger as it's actually a fair sized, awkwardly shaped space with a noisy, boisterous crowd but requires you to set up in a phone-box sized space. This is exactly the sort of situation I bought the Katana for (and the reason I went for the 2x12 over the 1x12) and while I did end up with the volume control up pretty high on the 100 Watt setting it was plenty loud enough, and, if anything actually sounded better at Bloody SIlly volumes than it does at rehearsal volume. Might go from using the on-board wah to a "real" wah on the front of the chain as it's a little over-polite for my tastes, the Boss EV-5 expression pedal I'm using doesn't feel particularly nice for wah-ing, and it'll let me use wah in a few more places without taking up an effect "slot" I'd rather use for something else.

In general, I'd say that it's a resounding success, totally fulfilled its brief as a compact, easy/quick to set-up alternative to a big amp, cab, and board rig, and if anyone has a any lingering doubts over whether these things can cut it live with a loud band then consider them dispelled. I'd still  rather use the big Blackstar Series One but I won't be losing any sleep over using the Katana where it's more practical as it's way better than just good enough!
Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2342
    ive played the fatling a few times, i know its a weird shape, the stage facing the bar while the rest of the pub goes off to the left of the stage. glad to hea you found the katana worked for it. Ive been gigging the 1X12 , not found it lacking in loudness. Ive got the GAFC pedal but most of the efects i use are on my zoom g3 which it takes very well., ive used a seperate cry baby which works well with it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom